Sponsored

Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Any chance you could add tire weights to this as well? This could affect efficiency as much or more than tread pattern.
See below. The Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 tire looks like a good option if you don't need all-terrain tires. You'd save about 10 pounds per wheel. I saw a Model X with AS Plus 3 tires the other day, maybe they're the OEM tires now.

Rivian R1T R1S Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20 Rivian tire sizes 3
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

See below. The Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 tire looks like a good option if you don't need all-terrain tires. You'd save about 10 pounds per wheel. I saw a Model X with AS Plus 3 tires the other day, maybe they're the OEM tires now.

Rivian tire sizes 3.jpg
There are a ton of typical ATs used by us off-roaders that probably should be on the list for comparison in the 275/65/20 sizing for LT E-load. Look at the Goodyear Duratrac, Falken AT3W, etc. I've been running the Falkens for years on my 4Runner and a ton of folks here in Colorado run the Duratracs. The biggest difference is going to be likely lower speed rating and a lot heavier tire. Most of the LTE tires I looked at in that size were closer to 55-65 lbs per tire, but they're well-regarded AT tires with thicker sidewalls. I strongly suspect that all the flats they had on the media drive were due to the stock Pirelli ATs being P-metric vs LT E-load.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
There are a ton of typical ATs used by us off-roaders that probably should be on the list for comparison in the 275/65/20 sizing for LT E-load.
Added BFGoodrich KO2, Dueler Revo 3, Conti Terraincontact A/T, Wildpeak A/T3W, and Goodyear Duratrac.

Rivian Tire Options

R1NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
old stuff
This is really helpful all, thanks. I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s in 275/55 R20 to replace the all-terrains that are coming with mine. I will be doing some short distance, light, towing and will be all highway for me. Will post pics when they're on.

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
Im going 20's on the T and 22's on the S. Mainly for looks.

I will say on your original post. A few years ago I upgraded my truck to a Raptor thinking I was going to go offroading a bunch. Ive been out maybe 5 times. Nothing really extreme. Its likely you'll go a few times when you first get it and that's it.

To me you should get the set-up that fits 90% of what you'll be doing...or what makes you happy. For the light offroading you'll probably end up doing the 21's will probably work.

That being said. This truck looks really good with the 20's with knobby tires...and thats why im going with that set-up. It feels good to drive a truck that you know can go anywhere, even if you dont take it there.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
This is really helpful all, thanks. I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s in 275/55 R20 to replace the all-terrains that are coming with mine. I will be doing some short distance, light, towing and will be all highway for me. Will post pics when they're on.
Love to know the range difference if you get to compare.

no4bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 350H
Occupation
Finance
Good call! As @COdogman said, more tire options and still the ability to more safely go off-roading. Also, the forged 20's wheels are way stronger. Again, smart move! ??
Are the 20" wheels still forged? I can't find that mentioned anywhere on the Rivian site.

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
Are the 20" wheels still forged? I can't find that mentioned anywhere on the Rivian site.
Yes the 20s are forged. In the "01 Capability"/"Performance", then click the "Explore Performance" button:

We offer two designs for the 20" wheel, both of which are forged and machined for a superior strength-to-weight ratio.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

From their website, Got to R1T, click on Capability, and then Performance, and Explore Performance.

I am not nifty enough to provide pictures.

no4bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 350H
Occupation
Finance
@wizard467 and @ads75 thank you both! I have been searching the Rivian site to confirm that the forged wheels are still an option. I switched my configuration last month from the 21" to the 20" AT tires because I want to get the forged wheels. Happy to see that Rivian is still offering the forged wheels. Now I just need a good summer tire option :)

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I went with the optional 20” wheels for three reasons. They are forged, look great and unlike the 21” tires you have a selection to choose when they wear out.

Rivian R1T R1S Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20 9DD52A46-BE88-4E5A-BA48-A08CB4FFEFD3

Last edited:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
My configuration currently has 20" wheels selected. I'm thinking of swapping the all-terrain tires with touring/all-season tires, but then I'll be left with an unwanted set of Rivian-spec all-terrain tires (I anticipate some snow but no off-roading).
If you swap out the tires pretty quickly (relatively new condition) I don't think you'd have any trouble selling the AT tires. I know I want at least one as a spare since Rivian won't sell me a full size spare for the R1S.
I did the same thing (only with Wheels) for my wife's 2010 Honda Pilot. I wanted a full size spare for her so I bought a full set of OEM wheels from a dealer who put aftermarket wheels on a new Pilot. I sold the other three and it basically paid for my full size spare setup.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Good list, but I think the difference in diameter from 275/65R20 to 275/60R20 or 275/55R20 is too great; 295/60R20 would probably be the only acceptable substitution.
Unless they're pig-headed like Tesla they'll let us re-calibrate the speedometer to match a new tire size like every other car manufacturer.

But I don't have particularly high hopes, surprised this isn't required by law or something.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Unless they're pig-headed like Tesla they'll let us re-calibrate the speedometer to match a new tire size like every other car manufacturer.

But I don't have particularly high hopes, surprised this isn't required by law or something.
I've literally never seen another car that allows this. But with 3 different tire diameters being offered by the manufacturer, at the very least I'd like to see them support all 3 configurations in a buried menu somewhere.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Good list, but I think the difference in diameter from 275/65R20 to 275/60R20 or 275/55R20 is too great; 295/60R20 would probably be the only acceptable substitution.

I created a similar list with all the compatible tires that ship to me and included price: Rivian Tire Options

My configuration currently has 20" wheels selected. I'm thinking of swapping the all-terrain tires with touring/all-season tires, but then I'll be left with an unwanted set of Rivian-spec all-terrain tires (I anticipate some snow but no off-roading).
What about this tire?

Rivian R1T R1S Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20 9DD52A46-BE88-4E5A-BA48-A08CB4FFEFD3Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on PinterestEmail Page to a Friend
DEFENDER LTX M/S - SIZE: LT275/65R20

Any reason why it wouldn't work? It is 34.1 inch diameter, all season, and exceeds the load rating. It is #14 in your list. Tire Rack wouldn't confirm it would fit though...
Sponsored