Sponsored

Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I've literally never seen another car that allows this. But with 3 different tire diameters being offered by the manufacturer, at the very least I'd like to see them support all 3 configurations in a buried menu somewhere.
Dealers can reprogram the speedo on most vehicles, especially trucks as it's extremely common for owners to change tire sizes, I've never been hassled about it.

At the very least I'd hope we can switch ourselves between the OEM sizes (33/34), though there are a ton of options in 275/55/R20 (32") that I'd like to be able to use to be honest, I plan driving almost entirely on the road and maybe a few forest service roads that I can already get down in a WRX, I don't need the weight and efficiency penalty of a huge tire.
Sponsored

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
I received my Rivian and followed my plan of immediately removing the original All-Terrain 20" tires (300 miles on them) and replacing w/All-Season. If anyone is looking to purchase 4 - 20" AT's, just let me know.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I received my Rivian and followed my plan of immediately removing the original All-Terrain 20" tires (300 miles on them) and replacing w/All-Season. If anyone is looking to purchase 4 - 20" AT's, just let me know.
Congratulations on getting your truck, @Pcr !
Which 20" all-season tire did you go with?

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
After much review and talking with 2 well known WI tire shops, I put on Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Very pleased with decision.
Let us know if you note a significant range difference with the new shoes on! Glad you found one that fits.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
After much review and talking with 2 well known WI tire shops, I put on Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Very pleased with decision.
Any update on the range you are getting with AS tires?

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Any pictures of how they look?

hannahman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'42 Willys MB
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate

Any noticeable impact on range with the tire switch?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I did as well. I decided these 20” AT Black Chrome wheels would look great against Glacier White paint. I have always liked the black/white Stormtrooper look.

View attachment 19938

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I would like to know if this positivity impacted range as well.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I respectfully disagree. There are smaller tires for 21" wheels for a handful of other higher volume vehicles, but even those tire options are still extremely limited.

For a tire to have a number of options, that usually means a size used by multiple vehicles, not one option. What tire manufacturer would bring additional options for a 21" wheel in a high load rated 33" tire?

Personally, the 21" wheel option is the biggest head scratching decision I've seen Rivian make. They should've just done an aero 20" with a 265/60 R20 low rolling resistance A/S.
I see the LUCID Air has a 21” option. Maybe EV’s will make 21 popular?
Rivian R1T R1S Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20 E915EA10-9C16-4C05-B102-4D66DFCB684F

Myzer53

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Occupation
retired
What are the original AT tires? Been trying to find out which tire is being used and might it change for the max battery config?

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Radio silence from @Pcr ? I hope their new tires didn't fail and end them up in the hospital? If you're out there @Pcr, you have unanswered questions on this thread that aren't going to answer themselves. ;-)

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I did as well. I decided these 20” AT Black Chrome wheels would look great against Glacier White paint. I have always liked the black/white Stormtrooper look.

View attachment 19938
Nothing personal @mini2nut, really!!! ...but as a lifelong Star Wars fan, I've never understood the infatuation and desired affiliation with Stormtroopers given they're a bunch of inept, bumbling, twits who couldn't challenge a battalion of Golden Retriever puppies? 😉

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
Radio silence from @Pcr ? I hope their new tires didn't fail and end them up in the hospital? If you're out there @Pcr, you have unanswered questions on this thread that aren't going to answer themselves. ;-)
Sorry guys. Was gone for 3 weeks. You'll get a laugh at this. I was all set for the tires right after I got the truck after doing thorough reviews and having a good friend who had the tires on. Went to the dealer and due to the underside of the R1T and me not having my spare tire/parts yet, there lift rack could not accommodate lifting this truck! They even had Rivian service on the line. So I have nothing for you. :)
Sponsored