Wheels: I switched from 21 to 20

aajad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
I originally had the 21” wheels because I will be mostly driving locally, not off-road and I wanted maximum range. Then I thought, hmm… there are so many off-road possibilities within 50 miles of metro Phoenix so losing the 10-15% range really won’t be an issue. I have no desire to drive thousands of miles on a road trip even if I wasn’t getting the R1T, so I switched to the 20“ wheels.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wouldn’t get the 21s just because it’s an in between size that limits your choices of tires. 22s look great, but definitely not the best if you do any off reading at all. So 20s it is!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I originally had the 21” wheels because I will be mostly driving locally, not off-road and I wanted maximum range. Then I thought, hmm… there are so many off-road possibilities within 50 miles of metro Phoenix so losing the 10-15% range really won’t be an issue. I have no desire to drive thousands of miles on a road trip even if I wasn’t getting the R1T, so I switched to the 20“ wheels.
Good call! As @COdogman said, more tire options and still the ability to more safely go off-roading. Also, the forged 20's wheels are way stronger. Again, smart move! ??

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I wouldn’t get the 21s just because it’s an in between size that limits your choices of tires. 22s look great, but definitely not the best if you do any off reading at all. So 20s it is!
Other 21” tires will become available over time, so this objection will lose weight over the next few years.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Other 21” tires will become available over time, so this objection will lose weight over the next few years.
You're right that a variety of 21's will show up, but if going off-road, the 20' wheels will always afford a stronger structure over their flow-cast formed middle and big brothers.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Are there good High-Efficiency tire options for the 20" wheels?

I tried to find some at Tire Rack, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I didn't see any information about wheel resistance or weight.

Maybe the Rivian/Pirelli's be the highest efficiency option and thus the best choice for good mileage.

Last edited:

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius

I tried to find some at Tire Rack, but I don't know quite what I'm looking for. I didn't see any information about wheel resistance or weight. Maybe it's there?

Is there any chance that the Rivian/Pirelli's will be the highest efficiency option and best choice for good mileage?
Everything I've seen so far seems to be heavier than the stock tire. You might find something with a more efficient tread pattern, but will that save range if you have to move a heavier tire? I don't know the answer, but as with the 21", we might see more EV designed 20" tires in the future.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek

I tried to find some at Tire Rack, but I don't know quite what I'm looking for. I didn't see any information about wheel resistance or weight. Maybe it's there?

Is there any chance that the Rivian/Pirelli's will be the highest efficiency option and best choice for good mileage?
Rivian partnered with Pirelli to design a new spec tire for the R1T. That says to me that Rivian didn't feel there was an appropriate off-the-shelf option to meet their load, speed, and efficiency ratings. I suspect this will change as more EV trucks come online, but for now, we have one option.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Rivian partnered with Pirelli to design a new spec tire for the R1T. That says to me that Rivian didn't feel there was an appropriate off-the-shelf option to meet their load, speed, and efficiency ratings. I suspect this will change as more EV trucks come online, but for now, we have one option.
I love Rivian’s MO with these things. They partnered to create a brand new tire that would be better than anything else going for this vehicle.

I see that approach carried throughout the business and especially in the R1T.

It’s part of what makes me want one. It feel like owning a Picasso or something. A first generation lunar rover.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I love Rivian’s MO with these things. They partnered to create a brand new tire that would be better than anything else going for this vehicle.

I see that approach carried throughout the business and especially in the R1T.

It’s part of what makes me want one. It feel like owning a Picasso or something. A first generation lunar rover.
They seem to have started with a clean sheet wherever necessary

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

At first sight, I originally wanted the 22's and configured my truck that way. Then, saw them in person at the First Mile Drive and, at least in my own opinion, based on the size of the truck, they just looked abnormally too big for the truck. I originally was also thinking I wanted more of a "sporty" truck appearance. But again, after seeing it in person, decided it was better suited towards the "off-road" styling. So, I changed my mind and decided to go with the 20's. Problem then was, I wanted black wheels and Rivian is charging a whopping $1,700 just to paint the the same wheels in black. The more I thought about it, I figured, there are a bunch of options where you can buy custom wheels and tires for under $2,000. So, save $3,500 and get the 21's that come with it. Then, buy my custom wheels and tires with a look I'll like even more than the black wheel offering by Rivian. Now, rather than just one set of, just OK looking black wheels for $3,500, I'll have two sets of wheels and tires that I'll like even more for around $2,000.

Further, I'll put the stock 21's on for long road trips and have much better range. So, for $1,500 less, I'll wear out my 20's even less, have the option for better range on road trips and get a wheel that I love the look of rather than just settling for what's available.

If I get a wild hair up my behind, I may fork out another $2,000 and get a set of custom sporty 22's as well. Then, for only $500 more, I'll have three sets. Will save a bunch on tire replacement costs. Unlikely I'll do this based on my prior opinion of the 22's being too big for this vehicle, but if they grow on me, it's always an option. And, if I don't want three sets of wheels / tires, can always sell the stock 21's and easily recapture the extra $500 cost and still end up with 2 sets of wheels instead of just one set. Seems to really make a lot more sense for those in cold weather environments. For less money, can have both, summer and winter tire options.

If Rivian's cost for black wheels was $1,000 or less, rather than $3,500, I'd likely have gone with them. But, for $3,500, just opens the door for way too many superior options that are available and end up with far more for far less.

Last edited:

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I also have the 20's configured, but I'd be happy to buy a set of the 22's if Rivian will sell them separately . I don't need the AT of the 20" tire, but I prefer the wheel for several reasons.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I respectfully disagree. There are smaller tires for 21" wheels for a handful of other higher volume vehicles, but even those tire options are still extremely limited.

For a tire to have a number of options, that usually means a size used by multiple vehicles, not one option. What tire manufacturer would bring additional options for a 21" wheel in a high load rated 33" tire?

Personally, the 21" wheel option is the biggest head scratching decision I've seen Rivian make. They should've just done an aero 20" with a 265/60 R20 low rolling resistance A/S.

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
I respectfully disagree. There are smaller tires for 21" wheels for a handful of other higher volume vehicles, but even those tire options are still extremely limited.

For a tire to have a number of options, that usually means a size used by multiple vehicles, not one option. What tire manufacturer would bring additional options for a 21" wheel in a high load rated 33" tire?

Personally, the 21" wheel option is the biggest head scratching decision I've seen Rivian make. They should've just done an aero 20" with a 265/60 R20 low rolling resistance A/S.
I also think Rivian should have made a 20" aero. That being said, losing 10-15% range for 95-99% of the driving I will be doing is unacceptable over the lifetime of the vehicle for me. That extra charging will build up over time and could potentially take years off your truck, which would cost a whole lot more than a few sets of custom 21" tires.

If anything, I would have my everyday 21"s and have a second set of 20" wheels for A/T.
Sponsored