Sponsored

Would you Sell to Carmax for 72k or Private Sell for Possibly 76-78k?

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
So I’m looking to sell my 2023 Rivian R1S Launch Edition and Carmax Offered me 72k. I have 21,245 miles on it. Super clean and new tires with less than 700 miles on them. Car has so many upgrades both factory accessories and aftermarket. What do yall suggest I do? Sell to Carmax and save the trouble or try selling private party and see if I can get possibly 76-78k?

Vehicle details below:

2023 Rivian R1S Launch Edition
White w/ Ocean Coast Interior
Factory Installed Full Front Xpel PPF
Rivian All Weather Mats
Rivian Roof Crossbars
Rivian Rear Cargo Cover
Rivian Spare Tire
Frunk All Weather Mats
Abstract Ocean Screen Protectors
Xpel PPF A, B, C Pillars Including Full Roof and Black Part of Trunk
Xpel XR Plus Ceramic Window Film - Side Windows 20% Rear Window 5% with 70% On Windshield and Glass Roof.
System X Max 10Year Ceramic Coating
Interior Ceramic Coating
Black Painted Side Mirrors
Black Emblems from Abstract Ocean
License Plate Tow Hook Mount
Continental Terrain Contact AT tires

Rivian R1T R1S Would you Sell to Carmax for 72k or Private Sell for Possibly 76-78k? IMG_1649
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'd sell it private party, someone will save state sales tax (many states) and use the extra money for forty deposits on the R2 or a cruise to the Med. ;)

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
TBH, aftermarket add-ons are worth $0 to most people.

There are other wholesale buyers other than carmax. How sure are you to get 6k more private party? What is your time worth? Are there a lot of buyers in your area looking for a 75k used SUV? Do you carry a note on it? That can be a hassle if you sell private.

why are you selling?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
72k in the hand or maybe 76k in the bush?

Depends on your situation, honestly. If you need it gone, I'd just go Carmax. That seems to be a very reasonable quote.

dlucas589

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 20 BMW X7
"Car has so many upgrades both factory accessories and aftermarket." - Could you let us know what interior color it has and other upgrades thanks!

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I’d personally take carmax because of the uncertainty and hassle of private party. But, you also shouldn’t expect any extra money for PPF, tint, or ceramic. Those are all your preference and the next buyer probably doesn’t care at all about that stuff.

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

Carmax. I don't have the time to sell private party.

I look at carsandbids every now and then and while I appreciate the site as a buyer, I wouldn't want to sell there. Too many people who don't have money and no intent to actually buy the car, but ask question after question (usually irrelevant) and the seller has to jump through hoops to provide answers. Don't need the brain damage.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

What will you replace the Rivian with?

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
What will you replace the Rivian with?
I was thinking about going back to Land Rover but decided to place an order for a 2025 BMW X5 M Sport. My commute is now 25 miles round trip vs 137 miles so I really don’t have a need for electric. Plus it’s usually just me in the vehicle and occasionally the wife so it doesn’t make sense to have something this large.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I was thinking about going back to Land Rover but decided to place an order for a 2025 BMW X5 M Sport. My commute is now 25 miles round trip vs 137 miles so I really don’t have a need for electric. Plus it’s usually just me in the vehicle and occasionally the wife so it doesn’t make sense to have something this large.

I'm glad you were able to drop your commute from 137 miles to 25 miles. Do you plan to tune / mod the X5?

Enjoy and post up pictures once you take delivery.

Have you thought about trading it in to the dealer to take advantage of the tax credit?

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
72k in the hand or maybe 76k in the bush?

Depends on your situation, honestly. If you need it gone, I'd just go Carmax. That seems to be a very reasonable quote.
I agree, other local dealerships have offered 64-68k so far but I’d rather it go to someone who appreciates the vehicle vs just a dealer as it’s really well kept.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think that it's a decent price. It depends on how badly you wa nt to sell it. As was earlier stated, upgrades to a vehicle don't usually add to trade-in value. Possibly, an individual will pay more, but it may require you to wait for the right buyer to come along. You might try selling it here on Rivian Forums, and see what happens.

Brian

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I'm glad you were able to drop your commute from 137 miles to 25 miles. Do you plan to tune / mod the X5?

Enjoy and post up pictures once you take delivery.

Have you thought about trading it in to the dealer to take advantage of the tax credit?
Yes, It was just too much! I couldn’t take being in the car for over 3 hours a day. It was exhausting, both mentally and physically. I did it for 8 months.

No serious plans for it yet but I’m excited to have a functioning sunroof again and all the bells and whistles. I really missed the little things like soft door close, the upgraded sound system, configurable, ambient lighting, and the comfortable seats I had in my rover. This new BMW will have massage seats which I’ve never had in any of my past vehicles so I’m looking forward to it.

I did try and see if they would match Carmax but they said no. They were the ones who offered 64k for trade in. I figured if I could get roughly 76k private that would be like the Carmax offer plus tax credit essentially. I’m giving it a few days and hoping for a good outcome. If not, it will be sold to Carmax.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I've been through the private party sales thing several times and I had maybe one experience that actually went well. I've waited for people that didn't show, had to follow someone to their credit union and then got an illegal u-turn ticket, had dog shit tracked into my house over my carpet, had the buyer bring their whole family to "try out" the vehicle and then walk away, had test drives where the person needed to show how good a performance car driver they are... etc. etc.

These days, I sit on my computer and get quotes from Vroom, Carmax, Carvana, etc. and pick the best one.
Sponsored