Sponsored

Would you Sell to Carmax for 72k or Private Sell for Possibly 76-78k?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Private buyers are bonkers nowadays, who needs that nonsense!

In 2015 I re-powered my boat, so I had a used outboard for sale. One guy was interested and came to see it... once his "mechanic" looked it over and he decided he wanted it he basically threatened me that "it had better run as advertised" because his father was the DA for the next county over and it would be big trouble for me if I screwed him. He demanded a copy of my drivers license (which I refused to give him) and he made a note of my vehicle lic. plate number. Not a pleasant experience being threatened by a total stranger over a $2,500 item. Luckily I never heard from him again so I guess he was happy the the motor. That was the last thing I sold privately. My Bolt, Model Y and Mazda went to online car sellers.
Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I sold my Tesla Model S to Givemethevin ... they offered the most as compared to Carmax, KBB and others, money was deposited directly into my bank account in minutes. Pays to shop around. I honestly didn't want to deal with strangers and run the risk of something shady happening or getting shived. Anything that is "custom" or not standard and can be removed, remove them and sell those privately. I did that for my Telluride when I sold (this time to Carmax as they were highest) as you get NO credit for those items. I still need to sell my Model S accessories.

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Thank you everyone for your feedback! I am going to give givemethevin a try otherwise I will sell to Carmax and save myself the headache. Local dealerships wanted to offer around 68k or less. Was hoping to get the tax credit on my new car but it’s not worth it.

Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Private buyers are bonkers nowadays, who needs that nonsense!

In 2015 I re-powered my boat, so I had a used outboard for sale. One guy was interested and came to see it... once his "mechanic" looked it over and he decided he wanted it he basically threatened me that "it had better run as advertised" because his father was the DA for the next county over and it would be big trouble for me if I screwed him. He demanded a copy of my drivers license (which I refused to give him) and he made a note of my vehicle lic. plate number. Not a pleasant experience being threatened by a total stranger over a $2,500 item. Luckily I never heard from him again so I guess he was happy the the motor. That was the last thing I sold privately. My Bolt, Model Y and Mazda went to online car sellers.
Only sell as-is if you do it privately.

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I have officially sold the R1S to Carmax. Hope it finds its way to a great new owner. The Rivian community has been amazing and I’m very thankful to have been a part of it all. On to new adventures.

Rivian R1T R1S Would you Sell to Carmax for 72k or Private Sell for Possibly 76-78k? IMG_1878

P.S. Don’t worry, I’ll probably be back in a few years. I placed a reservation for the R2 hours after its unveiling.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Carmax. I don't have the time to sell private party.

I look at carsandbids every now and then and while I appreciate the site as a buyer, I wouldn't want to sell there. Too many people who don't have money and no intent to actually buy the car, but ask question after question (usually irrelevant) and the seller has to jump through hoops to provide answers. Don't need the brain damage.
Glad I'm not the only one...... Cars & Bids, cool site and concept, absolutely horribly managed.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

So I’m looking to sell my 2023 Rivian R1S Launch Edition and Carmax Offered me 72k. I have 21,245 miles on it. Super clean and new tires with less than 700 miles on them. Car has so many upgrades both factory accessories and aftermarket. What do yall suggest I do? Sell to Carmax and save the trouble or try selling private party and see if I can get possibly 76-78k?

Vehicle details below:

2023 Rivian R1S Launch Edition
White w/ Ocean Coast Interior
Factory Installed Full Front Xpel PPF
Rivian All Weather Mats
Rivian Roof Crossbars
Rivian Rear Cargo Cover
Rivian Spare Tire
Frunk All Weather Mats
Abstract Ocean Screen Protectors
Xpel PPF A, B, C Pillars Including Full Roof and Black Part of Trunk
Xpel XR Plus Ceramic Window Film - Side Windows 20% Rear Window 5% with 70% On Windshield and Glass Roof.
System X Max 10Year Ceramic Coating
Interior Ceramic Coating
Black Painted Side Mirrors
Black Emblems from Abstract Ocean
License Plate Tow Hook Mount
Continental Terrain Contact AT tires

IMG_1649.jpeg
I realize my reply is a couple of weeks late, but just in case you haven't decided yet......Personally, I'd take all your aftermarket items off and then sell it to Carmax (as other's said, check with other places to see if you can get a higher offer too), then privately sell your after-market parts online separately. Crossbars and such and bring decent money. If the spare tire was optional, pull that out too. Won't recover tint and PPF items, but there's a good market for anything that can be taken off and sold separately.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Aftermarket parts actually DEVALUE used vehicles, not insignificantly. Love him or hate him, Doug Demuro speaks VERY poorly of people selling vehicles with aftermarket on them. Not only does it scream 'I want you to like exactly what I want,' but it puts doubt in the mind of potential buyers that the car is unvictimized.

I was going to link some posts, but literally just go to Google and type in "Aftermarket devaules used vehicles" and you'll see literal thousands of articles describing the futility in attempting to use 'aftermarket' parts as incentives for selling a used vehicle. Best case is things like the protective films will help people NOT spend LESS because they have some confidence the paint is protected, but you're not going to get MORE for it either. OEM optional accessories don't even add value. Only dealer-supplied 'packages' and trim levels can add value, but they need to be added by the manufacturer at the time of sale (Which is mostly irrelevant with Rivians, unless maybe if you have a DUS, powered tonneau, or happen to have a camp kitchen :D)

I won't tell you what to do, but I'd sooner just...not mention aftermarket anything unless asked--maybe a footnote about the paint being in 'perfect' condition due to the PPF.

Good luck with the sale.
Can't say I agree with this. Depends on what aftermarket items you do. If you get extremely custom and personal, then yes, you're cutting out 90% of the buyer pool as they may not like what you like. But, for items such as PPF, window tint, screen protectors, cargo cover, etc, etc, they certainly aren't going to devalue a car. While they may not add any additional value, many will appreciate that those things are already done.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

And one more reply to this post for everyone. I've sold many cars private party. Yes, can be some bad experiences. Possibly because I have sold quite a few, I've learned the red flags.

Personally, on any car I'd consider selling to a Carmax type place, I will get my offer from them, which is good for 7 days, then list it on E-bay in auction format with the reserve set at the offer price. If you write a good listing, for good cars such as the Rivian, they can do quite well on Ebay. Cheap listing fees, easy to list. No Cars & Bids type hassles and shadiness. Gives you two bites at the apple. If it doesn't reach the reserve, no harm, no foul. Go drop it off at Carmax. Often times however, for more appealing vehicles, the auctions will often go higher than the reserve. I've sold quite a few cars thanks to E-bay. Tried Cars & Bids once, horrible experience all-around. Also tried Bring A Trailer, similar site to C&B. Definitely a better experience, but still a lot more complicated to get a vehicle listed. Ebay, you can very easily list your vehicle on YOUR terms without one of those other sites dictating what you should do with your investment.

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I realize my reply is a couple of weeks late, but just in case you haven't decided yet......Personally, I'd take all your aftermarket items off and then sell it to Carmax (as other's said, check with other places to see if you can get a higher offer too), then privately sell your after-market parts online separately. Crossbars and such and bring decent money. If the spare tire was optional, pull that out too. Won't recover tint and PPF items, but there's a good market for anything that can be taken off and sold separately.
Yes I took everything that I could remove and resell off, the only thing I let go with the vehicle was the spare tire. Felt it was too much trouble to do all that. Will be listing the other items online in the coming days.

OP
OP
Sevn86

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Just to add Carmigo was a horrible experience for me last week. Total waste of my time.
Sponsored