Would level 1 "trickle charging" at work daily be okay

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I was thinking of plugging in at work daily as the power would be donated, however only at level 1 (110/120V)

Will this harm an EV battery of the long haul?
Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I would say no. In fact it's probably more gentle since fast charging batteries degrade them faster, even if that is minimal.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Absolutely no problem at all... just set your max charge level to something you're comfortable with for daily local use as recommended by Rivian.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Slow charging is better for lithium batteries.

here most block heater outlets are on timers, so they only run for a certain number of minutes per hour. Not good for charging.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Any L1/L2 (AC charging) is gentle on the batteries. The biggest concern would be on the outlet side (not sure if itā€™s a dedicated 20A outlet, standard 15A outlet, etc). If itā€™s a dedicated 20A outlet, then set the truck max to 16A and forget about it. Just let it go all day.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Depending on your commute, this may not be enough to make up your drive. You probably won't get more than 10-15 miles per 8-hour day optimistically if it's a standard 120v household outlet. No harm in some free juice, but just set your expectations accordingly.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would say no. In fact it's probably more gentle since fast charging batteries degrade them faster, even if that is minimal.
Time spent charging shouldn't be ignored as a factor. Level 2 is actually the sweet spot for most chemistries.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If itā€™s a dedicated 20A outlet, then set the truck max to 16A and forget about it. Just let it go all day.
You can do that if the outlet is a NEMA 5-20R and the adapter on the portable charging interface is a 5-20P but they are more probably 5-15 which limit to 12A. You can buy a Tesla UMC and a 5-20P adapter which, with a TeslaTap or similar adapter would allow you to charge your R1T from a 20A 125V outlet. The Tesla UMC is currently listed as "out of stock". Rivian may eventually make its own 5-20P adapter.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
L2 is slightly better but the difference is minimal. Mainly for balancing/BMs reasons but as.long as you hit it occasionally with a l2, I wouldn't worry at all about l1 charging daily.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
L2 is slightly better but the difference is minimal.
Max from L1 is 120V @ 16A. Max from L2 is 240V @ 48A so L3 is 2*3 = 6 times faster. I don't think that's minimal. I think it appreciable but as "slightly" and "appreciable" are largely subjective words you can call it what you will.

Mainly for balancing/BMs reasons but as.long as you hit it occasionally with a l2, I wouldn't worry at all about l1 charging daily.
What is being balanced here? What does the BMS have to do with it?

He can charge exclusively with L1 if he wants to (many people do) so long as he gets in enough hours for the charge he needs e.g. he can get as much free from his employer as he can in a workday and get the rest at home (as long as he gets enough from his employer to be able to get home).

Sponsored

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
My experience with charging an R1T with 110v is that it doesnā€™t really do anything. Best outcome is basically keeping the battery from discharging. Any actual charge increase is wishful thinkingā€¦ your mileage may vary.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
L1 charging on a 15A circuit means only 1.144 kW going to the charger. With 90% efficiency charging 24 hr delivers 10 kWh to the battery. Some drivers are reporting (before an OTA update) as much as 10 kWh/da phantom drain. If you can charge for only 8 hrs that doesn't leave much for the battery. With the OTA update phantom drain reports are much more reasonable at a coupe of kWh/da. With 2 kWh/da phantom drain the battery would get 8 kWh but that's only good for 16 miles which is much better but nevertheless few will be able to rely on L1 alone.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

My experience with charging an R1T with 110v is that it doesnā€™t really do anything. Best outcome is basically keeping the battery from discharging. Any actual charge increase is wishful thinkingā€¦ your mileage may vary.
yeah, I think the plan to charge at work via 110 is only going to work if OP works 1-week shifts

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
L1 charging on a 15A circuit means only 1.144 kW going to the charger. With 90% efficiency charging 24 hr delivers 10 kWh to the battery. Some drivers are reporting (before an OTA update) as much as 10 kWh/da phantom drain. If you can charge for only 8 hrs that doesn't leave much for the battery. With the OTA update phantom drain reports are much more reasonable at a coupe of kWh/da. With 2 kWh/da phantom drain the battery would get 8 kWh but that's only good for 16 miles which is much better but nevertheless few will be able to rely on L1 alone.
You're dreaming on 90% efficiency. There's probably 30% wasted to just keeping charging electrics and computers powered on. The power conversion factor might be 90% though...

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Max from L1 is 120V @ 16A. Max from L2 is 240V @ 48A so L3 is 2*3 = 6 times faster. I don't think that's minimal. I think it appreciable but as "slightly" and "appreciable" are largely subjective words you can call it what you will.

What is being balanced here? What does the BMS have to do with it?

He can charge exclusively with L1 if he wants to (many people do) so long as he gets in enough hours for the charge he needs e.g. he can get as much free from his employer as he can in a workday and get the rest at home (as long as he gets enough from his employer to be able to get home).
My response was in response to the benefits of L2 charging over L1 from a battery health perspective being present, but minimal. Someone previous that I was replying to had said l1 might even be healthier on the battery, which is not the case. As a rate of charge, of course L2 is a lot better.

The issue with the BMS is without a minimal level of current, it has trouble achieving a proper battery balance. As long as you hit it with a L2 or a DC fast charger every once in a while you'll be ok, but for whatever reason the balancing of the batteries isn't as effectively achieved at super-low charge rates. Tesla for the same reason, accepts but does not recommend l1-only charging.

Really though, the efficiency on this thing as a form of transportation, makes it a poor l1 charging choice. Further making things worse is the high charging overhead compared to traditional vehicle architectures (IE: Canbus-based Leaf, etc.)
Sponsored