Worried about buying a Rivian if the company fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Well you could just read a financial statement to see that the company is materially struggling.

Good point on a lease, that may be the way to go.
FYI, Tesla didn’t start turning a consistent profit until 2020. EVERY new manufacturer will lose money at the beginning. Rivian is not immune to that. Tesla was not profitable for 17 YEARS! Oh and by the way, Tesla is still $9B or so in debt.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If you rely on YouTube videos to steer your financial decisions it's likely most of them will be poorly guided.

But as with many here, I heard all the same stuff when I got my 2014 Model S. People said I was dumb the company would fail etc etc. Rivian is building great products and currently has great brand loyalty and awareness. I don't think they will fail any time soon.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If you rely on YouTube videos to steer your financial decisions it's likely most of them will be poorly guided.

But as with many here, I heard all the same stuff when I got my 2014 Model S. People said I was dumb the company would fail etc etc. Rivian is building great products and currently has great brand loyalty and awareness. I don't think they will fail any time soon.
I heard the same in 2016 with my Model S, came really close trying to get the Model 3 delivered but they managed it.

As a side note (my opinion here) Tesla was on a much more rocky path back then trying to get the Model 3 out than Rivian appears to be with the R2.

Edit: Just for reference, I do have a deposit on the R2. 🤷🏻

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
FYI, Tesla didn’t start turning a consistent profit until 2020. EVERY new manufacturer will lose money at the beginning. Rivian is not immune to that. Tesla was not profitable for 17 YEARS! Oh and by the way, Tesla is still $9B or so in debt.
Tesla also has $30B in cash and is profitable. Its survival is not really in doubt any longer.

I do think a Chinese company would buy Rivian in the end, but I wish Tesla would do it, as I would prefer to buy from an American company. I just don’t see Rivian surviving as an independent company.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Rivian won't just fold with zero recovery of anything. They're already big enough, with serious assets.

What I see as the absolute worst-case scenario would have Amazon take them over and turn them into "Amazon Car". Far more likely in the event of actual dire financials that they'd be scooped up by another automaker - Honda or Toyota maybe, some legacy automaker with terrible EV situation right now.

Your videos are from a stock shorter. He makes money bashing companies.

ukyank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
There’s really no point in comparing the two companies as the economic & EV environment are so dissimilar during the rise of each company that is a futile exercise to find any valid worthwhile comparison

OP
OP

Ocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Retired
Actually its worse. Their net is $19B in debt as of EOY 2023.

Rivian R1T R1S Worried about buying a Rivian if the company fails IMG_4666

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Wow. Simple answer to this dilemma. Just buy a Ford or Chevrolet. They might make it into next week without going under.

Brian

OP
OP

Ocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Retired
Wow. Simple answer to this dilemma. Just buy a Ford or Chevrolet. They might make it into next week without going under.

Brian
LoL. Both of those have over $100B of debt now that I’m looking at it. The financials of car companies are terrifying.

Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Our thoughts before purchasing:

(1) The R1S has a superior combination of hauling capacity and range. It will do things that help us, and do them better than any other EV we know of.

(2) We will enjoy it for as long as it serves us well.

(3) We can afford acquisition costs, power costs, and insurance. It's a stretch, but we can do it.

(4) If nobody invests in a better future, humanity won't have a better future.

(5) RJ Scaringe appears to be a genuinely decent human being. That often helps people succeed.

@Ocean, do what you think will be most satisfying in the end. We're glad we bought ours.

Very best wishes!

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

I’ve found a Launch Edition R1T exactly as I’d spec it and have negotiated the dealer down to a price I’m happy with. Then… last night I started watching YouTube videos about the financial health of the company and it really has me reconsidering whether buying any Rivian is a good idea.

First video I watched:

And then the sequel:

Tldr; basically Rivian loses money on every car produced. They have blown through most of the cash they raised in their IPO, and the stock is now down 90% from IPO. Given demand concerns, high interest rates, and questionable ability to raise more money… it looks like Rivian maybe has 2 years left to live.

I’m curious how other owners have thought about this risk, and if you made the purchase how you rationalized the decision. If the company went bankrupt it would be near impossible I imagine to get it serviced and of course the value of an expensive car would tank.

A penny for Rivian Forum users thoughts?
Rivian will survive as a company, they can issue more stock. They can get into bed with another company, or they can lean on a credit facility…the company stock will suck If these things happen. But the company and products will still be a reality. Rivian products are real and hitting the streets by the thousands every month. I’m seeing more and more of them in my area far from LA or the NW. When R2 hits Rivian’s will be everywhere.

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
Actually its worse. Their net is $19B in debt as of EOY 2023.

IMG_4666.png
The net debt is negative. That’s a good thing! Read the last line. This is a weird way to graph it, I will admit, so I can see why it would be confusing.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
My concern isn’t if they will be around (they will or worst case they are acquired), it’s more about resale value. They’ve fallen off drastically. I was hoping for vette and am seeing Jeep due to the EV market.

OP
OP

Ocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Retired
The net debt is negative. That’s a good thing! Read the last line. This is a weird way to graph it, I will admit, so I can see why it would be confusing.
Oh hahaha. What a terrible graph. This is actually showing they have $19B and no debt once everything is netted out. So it’s positive. Good catch!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.