Not open for further replies.

f1racer328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Tube Driver
Amazon already has an ass ton of the EDV commercial vans around, and I doubt they would let Rivian fail completely. I'm leasing for a few reasons, but in 3 years if Rivian just doesn't exist anymore I can give the car away and not worry about it.

However, I'm sure Rivian will do great.

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Rivian won't just fold with zero recovery of anything. They're already big enough, with serious assets.

What I see as the absolute worst-case scenario would have Amazon take them over and turn them into "Amazon Car". Far more likely in the event of actual dire financials that they'd be scooped up by another automaker - Honda or Toyota maybe, some legacy automaker with terrible EV situation right now.

Your videos are from a stock shorter. He makes money bashing companies.
Could you imagine Alexa as your auto pilot? 😂. “I couldn’t hear you, say again? I’m Sorry, that route is not included in your membership”. I wonder if they would charge extra for Alexapilot? $500 a month gives you Alexapilot, Amazon prime and “Hello, my name is bob!” From India as your tech support.

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Rivian has plenty of access to capital. It’s expected they would lose money like this initially.

don’t take financial advice from YouTube videos….particularly from short sellers trying to push a position or YouTubers trying to generate clicks. If you developed your opinion about the financial outlook and health of the company from those 2 videos I’d put more thought into your decision to purchase an automobile as well.

Sponsored

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
They should have cut deeper, earlier.

Now they've burned cash they need to bridge to R2. Maybe they have 4-5 quarters of cash (assuming sales hold and similar ASP - which we know are falling). It's a tough one, they really need R2 to launch mid-2025.

Without the backing of a sovereign wealth fund or hyperactive centi-billionaire it's going to be a very difficult road. I have been able to configure my pre-order since last Fall, waiting on the picture to get a little clearer and for rational (i.e., cost-cutting, efficiency-focused, lean mfg) execs to step in and straighten the place out. They really need a Blackstone or Apollo to buy a controlling interest and tighten the ship.

Products are well positioned and engineered, but they don't know how to run a public company and it shows.
lol… they HAVE the backing of a sovereign wealth fund AND a prominent billionaire. And no they don’t need private equity to tell them how to run. It’s not a failing retail store or tired brand that needs revitalizing. It’s a company at the forefront of its industry and they have some very smart people across all disciplines- and they are continually adjusting to changing external forces.

sunrogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
writer
Clubs

Rivian's situation hasn't changed much over the past few months and I still brought one, and I would do it again.

Let's say rivian does go under. EVs are simpler to maintain, so a community will spring up to keep them going. It's less risky than ICE.

But rivian isn't going under. In the long run, vehicles are switching to electrification. The current turbulence is short term, and rivian will be ahead as the transition continues.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I’ve found a Launch Edition R1T exactly as I’d spec it and have negotiated the dealer down to a price I’m happy with. Then… last night I started watching YouTube videos about the financial health of the company and it really has me reconsidering whether buying any Rivian is a good idea.

First video I watched:

And then the sequel:

Tldr; basically Rivian loses money on every car produced. They have blown through most of the cash they raised in their IPO, and the stock is now down 90% from IPO. Given demand concerns, high interest rates, and questionable ability to raise more money… it looks like Rivian maybe has 2 years left to live.

I’m curious how other owners have thought about this risk, and if you made the purchase how you rationalized the decision. If the company went bankrupt it would be near impossible I imagine to get it serviced and of course the value of an expensive car would tank.

A penny for Rivian Forum users thoughts?
Meet the new troll. Same as the last troll

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Don't want to start any rumors, but ....

"In order to meet our critical target of being gross margin positive by the end of 2024, we will be implementing an additional cost containment measure. This measure, unfortunately, will force some employees to live in factory housing and work long hours without wages”, said Rivian's Scaringe.

Below, Rivian's CEO, Scaringe, presenting a mockup of an employee containment system at a secret corporate strategy meeting.
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.38.10 PM.png
You realize this isn't funny because another EV CEO *would actually* try this?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
From the various posts I've read I've seen mixed reviews of early VINs where the later VINs seem to be a lot better.

I also have to stand my ground until Rivian makes me whole by fixing the dreaded tock.

I have another Service appointment scheduled for a different Service Center so hopefully this time they'll actually fix it versus saying its "within spec".
Good luck....I've had washers done twice, and hubs and shafts replaced ...still got a tock and occasional clunk. Luck of the draw with early ones I guess. Living with it till R2.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You realize this isn't funny because another EV CEO *would actually* try this?
I believe that's exactly why it is funny. Change out the name of the CEO and it could be a believable story.

Glstr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Audi Q7 TDI
I think that with the amount of vehicles shipped, the partnership with Amazon and most importantly, the fact that everyone that owns one is seemingly a huge fan and advocate of the product will all contribute to the survival and eventual success of the company. They have some teething issues but I think they’ll be fine as long as they stay focused on the customer.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

what "tock" are you talking about?
There was an issue with the halfshaft bolts that secure them to the hub coming loose over time, causing a clicking noise. Rivian fixed the issue with staked washers under the bolts instead of the flat washers originally shipped on them.

I think the majority of the noise that people are still experiencing is primarily geartrain lash noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.