Will Refresh Include a 240V plug?

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Any thoughts or rumors about the refresh upgrading the meager 120V plugs we all have?
Sponsored

yetti96

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad w/ Large Compass Yellow, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I just want more wattage from the 120 we have, or a way to see how much we are pulling.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I just want more wattage from the 120 we have, or a way to see how much we are pulling.
Yea, a minimum of 2kw for the 120v outlets. But Fords 9.6kw would be very very nice. It would also make it somewhat easier to use that for powering a home.

1.5kw is still useful but you have to be very selective in what appliances you find. 2kw or more would make it much less of an issue IMO.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Any thoughts or rumors about the refresh upgrading the meager 120V plugs we all have?
I think Rivian would have to move the inverter, I don't think there's enough room under the front passenger seats for anything with a higher capacity. Maybe if it were purpose built instead of being a purchased part.

I guess they are reducing the amount of computers in the vehicle overall though, so there's always a chance they made room somewhere for a larger one.

Rivian R1T R1S Will Refresh Include a 240V plug? 1714143072875-db

Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
More powerful 120v make sense .. i'm not sure a 240v is a use case that makes sense for Rivian's target audience.

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
More powerful 120v make sense .. i'm not sure a 240v is a use case that makes sense for Rivian's target audience.
I dunno. Just do an image search on Rivian and airstream. Tons of images. That's just for airstreams. Tons of people in Rivian's target audience that have trailers of one sort or another. A lot of beautiful campgrounds don't have hookups. Which is fine if you have a solar panel and lithium batteries but you can really only run the minimum stuff and then it is hit or miss for how long depending on weather.

How nice would it be if you could tap into the huge battery in your tow vehicle and be able to even run the A/C at location in a hot area with no hookups? It'd make a lot more campgrounds friendly to trailers and make dispersed camping a lot more pleasant.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yeah but all that is really an off topic feature request.

The question of what new capabilities are going to exist in the current R1 configurations after the April shutdown is a really simple one.

If there's something that saves money, there's a chance they will do it. The more money it saves, the more likely it will be. If it doesn't save money, the chance is near zero.

In the case of the outlets, I can see where Rivian might have found a new lower-cost supplier for the inverter, or even found a different inverter that was cheaper and/or more efficient. If that's the case, then it's possible Rivian will start shipping vehicles with this new inverter. I guess it's possible that the new inverter can support a higher current at 120V than the old, or that the new inverter also can supply 240V, but cost will be the primary factor - they are not going to switch the inverter just to provide 240V even if it costs the same, because there are other things like the wire size and outlet supplier that they would have to change to support 240V. The only way this is going to happen at this point in time is as a side-effect from a cost-saving change to the inverter.

OP
OP
HyperionMark

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Yeah but all that is really an off topic feature request.

The question of what new capabilities are going to exist in the current R1 configurations after the April shutdown is a really simple one.

If there's something that saves money, there's a chance they will do it. The more money it saves, the more likely it will be. If it doesn't save money, the chance is near zero.

In the case of the outlets, I can see where Rivian might have found a new lower-cost supplier for the inverter, or even found a different inverter that was cheaper and/or more efficient. If that's the case, then it's possible Rivian will start shipping vehicles with this new inverter. I guess it's possible that the new inverter can support a higher current at 120V than the old, or that the new inverter also can supply 240V, but cost will be the primary factor - they are not going to switch the inverter just to provide 240V even if it costs the same, because there are other things like the wire size and outlet supplier that they would have to change to support 240V. The only way this is going to happen at this point in time is as a side-effect from a cost-saving change to the inverter.
Definitely see what you are saying about the cost savings. I realize that is a very high priority for them. But they also may be missing out on some R1T sales by not having 240V. I'm sure it's not a huge number, but a missed sale is a missed sale, and I guarantee it's not zero. Tough to do that math of money saved vs sales with such an unknown number.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Having a 240V output is available on all the other EV trucks. So, this might not be a money maker, but it might be one of the default options that buyers are expecting.

Also, I remember RJ saying in an interview that they realize it was needed, but he may have been referring to having an external DC->AC for home backup type situations. (I don't expect to be able to find the interview again, sorry.)

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yep. 12A is just that *slight* amount too low. A standard household circuit is 15A, why couldn't they have gone with that? (My teardrop trailer's AC uses 13.5A instantaneous on startup, which trips the Riv's breaker, even though it has no problems on a 15A circuit.
Sponsored