First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
Of course, keeping in mind it’s not a charger, it’s a connection cord. The charger is in the vehicle.
I didn;t see them say about a charger. Does what charger in the car make a difference in hardwiring instead of a plug? The unit I have from my Bolt has a plug. Is a plug OK with the Rivian? The nozzle looks the same.
Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
Let's feel free to keep that FTC bill crap out of this thread. How about we enjoy the Christmas present we have been given and show off our current builds.

Some accessories that I am waiting on to eventually show up in the Configurator:
Dometic Frunk Fridge
Winch x bumper(more out of curiosity)
V2H charger
180 or 270° Awning
MaxTrax
Wow, we keep that up and we’ll need another option, a tow behind trailer full of batteries.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I don’t know much about the winch offering but can you imagine how much drain there would be on the system? Winches need a lot of juice. Unless you get a gas powered one. ?. How was the winch supposed to be mounted? Hook into the receiver hitch? A receiver hitch front and back could be used as mount.
There are photos in the wild of a fairlead cutout in the front bumper, so presumably there's a hardpoint behind the front bumper where it can be mounted to the frame. I don't think there's any evidence of a front receiver hitch so far.

Most winches are 12V powered and there should be no issue with the Rivian supplying enough power - how it's wired in is a good question (I could imagine directly to the 12V outlet in the frunk but would hope to see something a bit more integrated).

The impact on range should be negligible - even at maximum load a winch is nothing compared to what the four motors can pull.

Don't forget this is a 130 kwh battery pack - you could run full load off of the 110V ports (say, charging another Rivian via the mobile connector) for 4-5 days before you emptied the pack from full. Accessories aren't going to do you in unless you're really overdoing it.

Reactions: Don

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I didn;t see them say about a charger. Does what charger in the car make a difference in hardwiring instead of a plug? The unit I have from my Bolt has a plug. Is a plug OK with the Rivian? The nozzle looks the same.
This is what I read on the Rivian site. From what I understand the box or receptacle (female plug) is hardwired to you’re breaker panel. The connection cord is provided by Rivian to connect between the receptacle and the vehicle using a plug at each end.
I may be wrong here but that’s where I’m at. Please reach out for further info. See attachment I provided.

Rivian R1T R1S Which accessories are you configuring? 242EE1C6-1F6D-41C9-906F-C644BC0B7B92

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There are photos in the wild of a fairlead cutout in the front bumper, so presumably there's a hardpoint behind the front bumper where it can be mounted to the frame. I don't think there's any evidence of a front receiver hitch so far.

Most winches are 12V powered and there should be no issue with the Rivian supplying enough power - how it's wired in is a good question (I could imagine directly to the 12V outlet in the frunk but would hope to see something a bit more integrated).

The impact on range should be negligible - even at maximum load a winch is nothing compared to what the four motors can pull.

Don't forget this is a 130 kwh battery pack - you could run full load off of the 110V ports (say, charging another Rivian via the mobile connector) for 4-5 days before you emptied the pack from full. Accessories aren't going to do you in unless you're really overdoing it.
Gotcha. Yes that would definitely be nice if it was integrated for a cleaner look. Makes sense what your saying about the power drain. Only experience I’ve had was with 12000 Lb winch mounted on my Jeep. I could drain my battery in no time if needed. Alternator couldn’t keep up with heavy use.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I keep going back and forth between Launch Green, and Forest Green. FG is what made me hooked on Rivian... but until we see LG, I've changed it back to FG now that it doesn't seem like we will get our cars any earlier if we choose LG, based on first contacts from the guides on the R1T.

I want to add the tent too, but I have concerns about the cost, the drop in range until the RAN is built out a bit for more changing options, and the added noise while driving.

Rivian R1T R1S Which accessories are you configuring? IMG_4137

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Makes sense what your saying about the power drain. Only experience I’ve had was with 12000 Lb winch mounted on my Jeep. I could drain my battery in no time if needed. Alternator couldn’t keep up with heavy use.
Yeah so conservatively a Rivian (130kwh) pack is about 270 times the capacity of a typical fully-charged 12V car battery. Should be good ?

Reactions: Don

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah so conservatively a Rivian (130kwh) pack is about 270 times the capacity of a typical fully-charged 12V car battery. Should be good ?
Without a doubt. I say like you, I hope they bring it up again.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I could imagine directly to the 12V outlet in the frunk but would hope to see something a bit more integrated
I doubt the wiring for that outlet is substantial enough to power a winch. Typically a winch would be wired directly to the 12v battery with very heavy 6 AWG wire. I think Rivian has said the truck with will “winch ready”. That will likely include predrilled mount point on the front frame, but may or may not include a heavy gauge wiring harness to that location. You may need to run the winch wire directly to the 12v battery.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Rivian R1T R1S Which accessories are you configuring? Rivian

Cargo Cross Bar and the bike mount.
Wall Charger.
All Weather floor mats.
Field Kit.
Air compressor accessories - Don't know why I need it, but I want it :D
Spare Tire.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Every time they show the Rivian Wall charger, I don't see a plug. So I've always assumed it was hardwire only. I'm known to wrong about certain things, however. I'd ask CS, but know I wouldn't get a straight answer.
FWIW you can buy an appliance cord at Home Depot that you would connect to the poles instead of the wires, and that would let you use it with a 14-50 outlet. It's the same principle as the pigtail on your electric dryer.

Whether you could configure it to communicate the correct 40-amp limit to the truck, and whether or not this would void warranty would be up in the air, were it not for:

It was originally going to be hardwire-only. Someone posted that CS told them they've updated to allow a plug-in install, as well.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
FWIW you can buy an appliance cord at Home Depot that you would connect to the poles instead of the wires, and that would let you use it with a 14-50 outlet. It's the same principle as the pigtail on your electric dryer.

Whether you could configure it to communicate the correct 40-amp limit to the truck, and whether or not this would void warranty would be up in the air, were it not for:
I hope it is configurable... I'll run a 60A circuit so I'll want the full 48A charging... but even hardwired not everyone will have the capacity to draw that much. People with external garages may only have a 30A service to the structure, or if they're in an older home they may not want (or have the capacity to spare) a 48A draw. Letting the user dial it back would cost Rivian nothing (just a software option) and makes the EVSE more versatile.

I thought I saw that the Rivian EVSE would support power-sharing with another EVSE (although I could be wrong). If true, then they must support multiple current configurations.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I thought I saw that the Rivian EVSE would support power-sharing with another EVSE (although I could be wrong). If true, then they must support multiple current configurations.
I haven't seen that anywhere, but wouldn't it be great if there were a standard for this, so you weren't locked into buying 2+ of the exact same brand (and possibly model) of EVSE?

That's one of the big downsides, IMO, of the Tesla wall unit. Yes, there are adapters to go from a Tesla connector to J1772, but it would be great if someone could load share between a Tesla wall unit and a Rivian one, for example! Even if I were to get a Tesla (would get a Model Y if I had to replace my car today), I would probably get a different brand EVSE and buy a 2nd J1772 to Tesla adapter, because I generally think J1772 makes more sense for future proofing.
Sponsored