Sponsored

Which accessories are you configuring?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Here is mine. I think they said the wall charger will come with free instalation
They said they'd help get it installed, not that it would be free. Odds are very good that you'll be better off just hiring a local electrician to perform the same work at a cheaper price. Rivian's just going to outsource the installation anyway.
Sponsored

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
Well I just added $8000 to my total.

How cool is that field kit though.
I spent two months and at least 10 Amazon delivery boxes last year to collect all items on that list!
This was when the lockdown started ! If only I had more Patience! LOL

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
They said they'd help get it installed, not that it would be free. Odds are very good that you'll be better off just hiring a local electrician to perform the same work at a cheaper price. Rivian's just going to outsource the installation anyway.
I already have the NEMA outlet in the garage from my last vehicle, but didn't get the Tesla wall charger (just used the mobile connector). I think I'm going to spring for the wall charger this time, as there is probably a better use case for having the mobile connector with me for the R1T. Given that all the difficult electrical work is done (i.e., the outlet and wire is already run), I'm wondering what it would cost to just install the wall charger? Or is it simple enough to DIY? Anyone with any experience with Tesla or other wall chargers?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I already have the NEMA outlet in the garage from my last vehicle, but didn't get the Tesla wall charger (just used the mobile connector). I think I'm going to spring for the wall charger this time, as there is probably a better use case for having the mobile connector with me for the R1T. Given that all the difficult electrical work is done (i.e., the outlet and wire is already run), I'm wondering what it would cost to just install the wall charger? Or is it simple enough to DIY? Anyone with any experience with Tesla or other wall chargers?
If you already have a NEMA 14-50 outlet then installation should be as simple as finding a stud (or using drywall toggles), and screwing in a couple screws, then plugging the EVSE in. This would let you charge at 40A.

To charge at 48A you'd need to hardwire the charger -- still very easy and within the skills of most DIYers, although varies a bit on your unique installation.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
If you already have a NEMA 14-50 outlet then installation should be as simple as finding a stud (or using drywall toggles), and screwing in a couple screws, then plugging the EVSE in. This would let you charge at 40A.

To charge at 48A you'd need to hardwire the charger -- still very easy and within the skills of most DIYers, although varies a bit on your unique installation.
Thanks - the 40A is plenty for my purposes, so sounds like this is as easy as it can possibly be.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Happy to learn that the spare for the R1T is a matching wheel now....previously wasn't supposed to be I don't think.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

With the price reduction for the off-road package, I am now considering adding the camp kitchen. I don't think I'll use it all that often and I'm afraid it will sit in the garage 98% of the time (so as to not take up the entire gear tunnel), but it's just such a unique feature that I keep coming back to it. Anyways - that's my issue to work through.

My question, and maybe this has been covered, but how do we get power into the camp kitchen? It will need to draw something to operate the stovetop, and I don't recall seeing anything.
Same here. I was going to get the Gear Shuttle anyway but now with the Snow Peak stuff included I went for it (for now). Incremental is 3,500 and the Snow Peak stuff priced out is several hundred.

As far as the power to the Gear Shuttle goes. They now mention integrated power plugs with covers (AC and 12v DC) so that seems cool.
Rivian R1T R1S Which accessories are you configuring? 1622131619859

Rivian R1T R1S Which accessories are you configuring? 1622131718889

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

Every time they show the Rivian Wall charger, I don't see a plug. So I've always assumed it was hardwire only. I'm known to wrong about certain things, however. I'd ask CS, but know I wouldn't get a straight answer.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Every time they show the Rivian Wall charger, I don't see a plug. So I've always assumed it was hardwire only. I'm known to wrong about certain things, however. I'd ask CS, but know I wouldn't get a straight answer.
It was originally going to be hardwire-only. Someone posted that CS told them they've updated to allow a plug-in install, as well.

With everything Rivian, however, it's always subject to change.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Which accessories are you configuring? 1622141325396

It looks like it will be amperage adjustable since the NEC does not allow EVSEs to be plugged in with 60A outlets/service.
But, the NEC also prohibits user adjustable amperage EVSEs from utilizing a plug - they must be hardwired.

Sponsored

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

I'm not planning on buying the wall charger as my electric company is offering free L2 chargers for customers who buy new or used EV's. This also comes w/ an off-peak rate incentive for EV charging.

Others may want to check to see if their are similar programs from their state or electric utility.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Same here. I was going to get the Gear Shuttle anyway but now with the Snow Peak stuff included I went for it (for now). Incremental is 3,500 and the Snow Peak stuff priced out is several hundred.

As far as the power to the Gear Shuttle goes. They now mention integrated power plugs with covers (AC and 12v DC) so that seems cool.
1622131619859.png

1622131718889.png
Curious to know if the Gear Shuttle and the Camp Kitchen can be used on the driver's side or just the passenger side.

OP
OP

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
It's a bummer that there's still no detail on the winch - an odd omission since they now sell a recovery kit. They've emphasized "winch ready" a few times but it's odd that the winch-equipped front bumper and the rear bumper we've seen in trials with recovery hooks are both still somewhat of a mystery.
Sponsored