Sponsored

When will R1x get V2H like the Lightning?

When will R1x get V2H (vehicle to house) charging like the Ford Lightning?

• It’s probably in the currently delivered trucks. It only needs to be activated.

• It’s coming S00N. (I wonder how early adopters will feel if 6 mos later such capacity is available.)

• It’s likely to debut with Max packs. Perhaps along with 800V?

• It’s like to debut with the dual motor vehicles.

• It’s likely to debut in 2025 or after.

• It may never be available on R1 vehicles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It is actually cheap where you start comparing it to installing a whole house generator. There seem to be more and more power outages happening everywhere.
I don't know I would still want the whole house generator so you know you can still drive your truck somewhere if needed. And it could charge the truck as well if you had to depending on the size of the generator.
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The Lightning can achieve this on the load side of its inverter. You already can do this with your R1T for a small 120V critical loads panel with a 15A inlet -- just not the 240V/30A that the Lightning can handle.

But Rivian has also said the CCS standard does allow tapping the HV battery with a CCS plug for V2H or V2G purposes -- and the R1 vehicles implement CCS. The problem here is I have yet to see the equipment you would need to purchase and install into your home to take advantage of this. The inverter would be on your wall, not in the truck. Also, emphasis on CCS -- it's the DC fast charger connector that gets direct access to the battery, not the dinky J1772 your existing home charger uses.

Since those pins can move 500A at 400V, you'd have no problems powering a whole home with a suitably sized inverter. This tech is not going to be cheap nor will it be practical for most. But it's the home-side equipment that isn't readily available. Here's an example of Wallbox's planned product for this purpose (note they only plan to handle 48A at 240VAC -- fine for a couple critical circuits but not a whole-home backup).

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Not difficult, just not worth pursuing, imo. It’s a niche use case and outside of a few extremes no one will actually use it. At best, it’s a marketing gimmick “checklist” item. Rivian has a LOT of things they could improve and should focus on before worrying about bi-directional charging.

Now if we’re only talking about a stronger inverter and upping the outlet amperage and maybe adding a 220V outlet in the bed — that’s a more compelling feature and is worth it. But the”V2H” that people squawk about is overblown.
I agree right now it seems niche but imagine when it's common place and disasters hit and being able to power home via combo of solar and vehicle battery. Would seem archaic not to have it.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The Lightning can achieve this on the load side of its inverter. You already can do this with your R1T for a small 120V critical loads panel with a 15A inlet -- just not the 240V/30A that the Lightning can handle.

But Rivian has also said the CCS standard does allow tapping the HV battery with a CCS plug for V2H or V2G purposes -- and the R1 vehicles implement CCS. The problem here is I have yet to see the equipment you would need to purchase and install into your home to take advantage of this. The inverter would be on your wall, not in the truck. Also, emphasis on CCS -- it's the DC fast charger connector that gets direct access to the battery, not the dinky J1772 your existing home charger uses.

Since those pins can move 500A at 400V, you'd have no problems powering a whole home with a suitably sized inverter. This tech is not going to be cheap nor will it be practical for most. But it's the home-side equipment that isn't readily available. Here's an example of Wallbox's planned product for this purpose (note they only plan to handle 48A at 240VAC -- fine for a couple critical circuits but not a whole-home backup).
Why can't it be cheap and easy like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255423892973

Or this?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...720.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.3e7f284fGm2Pvn

I don't think it's hard if you can get the pins. The market probably isn't common at 400v, but the electrical concepts not super difficult, and inverters are fairly cheap.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I agree right now it seems niche but imagine when it's common place and disasters hit and being able to power home via combo of solar and vehicle battery. Would seem archaic not to have it.
I just want to power my damn RV... So I can leave this guy at home.

Rivian R1T R1S When will R1x get V2H like the Lightning? 1660090963945

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The Rivian has an onboard inverter but it’s only 120v/15A- so it can only power a fridge or a couple small appliances via extension lead. 120v/15A is Pretty weak in my opinion…

V2H/V2x is an automotive protocol and standard that communicates with the vehicle to pull DC power direct from the vehicle battery.
A new V2X EVSE is required which will have its own inverter to take eg. 400v/40A DC power from the car and convert it to 240v/48A AC for the house. The EVSE back feeds the AC power to your breaker panel like the Ford setup does today. The V2x EVSE will require an electronic disconnect/ back feed preventer installed at the meter to stop the vehicle power going out to the street when the grid is down. Much like the manual generator interlock kits used on breaker panels today.

The V2x standards are still being tweaked a bit but the V2x EVSEs should be out next year.

All Rivian needs to do is send a software update to support the V2x communication protocol once the EVSEs hit the market.

The hardware to do proper plug and play V2x will be in the EVSE in your garage. So you will have to swap out your EVSE which will run $600-$1000.

An upside of V2x EVSEs is they also use their inverters to convert 240/48A AC house power to eg. 400v/40A DC power for charging the car. Which effectively charges the car 30-40% faster than the 240/48A charger/inverter built into the truck.

Here is a proper V2X EVSE due out next year.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works
or have a household battery to absorb DC

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
I love how everyone in this thread claims it is a niche capability and engineering challenge, when the reality is Ford has had ProPower on board (9.6KW) available for 3 years now - it is not just on their Lightning, it is also on their ICE vehicles. It's just a matter of having a big inverter, it's not rocket science folks.

And Hyundai/Kia let you pull 3.6 KW *right out of the car* with a simple V2L adapter dongle that it comes with - no need for complex equipment.

This stuff is not as complex as it is being made out to be here, it is just a choice of including it, and Rivian did not - which sucks big time and puts them at a competitive disadvantage to people who care about this function for many use cases.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
This stuff is not as complex as it is being made out to be here, it is just a choice of including it, and Rivian did not - which sucks big time and puts them at a competitive disadvantage to people who care about this function for many use cases.
Note that you have to buy several thousand dollars of equipment in order to do VtoH using the Lighting, so maybe it's a little more complicated than you think.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I think you're overestimating the broad appeal of this feature (which requires expensive charging stations/adapters!). In any case, a "competitive disadvantage" may not be worth worrying about when Rivian is 10x more demand than manufacturing capacity, especially if it reduces margins or adds incremental complexity.

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
I think you're overestimating the broad appeal of this feature (which requires expensive charging stations/adapters!). In any case, a "competitive disadvantage" may not be worth worrying about when Rivian is 10x more demand than manufacturing capacity, especially if it reduces margins or adds incremental complexity.
*It doesn't have to* require expensive adapters. The F150 with Pro Power (including ICE models NOT just the lightning) can deliver 9.6KW right out of the 240V outlet in the truck there are NO adapters needed. I could plug my generator panel in my house right into the thing in an outage and get rid of our gas generator. *No equipment needed*.

I could also plug my RV right into it again *no equipment needed*.

The V2H equipment is only required if you don't already have a generator panel.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
*It doesn't have to* require expensive adapters. The F150 with Pro Power (including ICE models NOT just the lightning) can deliver 9.6KW right out of the 240V outlet in the truck there are NO adapters needed. I could plug my generator panel in my house right into the thing in an outage and get rid of our gas generator. *No equipment needed*.

I'd classify a generator panel as "expensive equipment," but obviously mileage may vary. Point is customers who are even aware of V2H, let alone have the equipment to take advantage of it, are a relatively small niche. I'd love to see the feature, but it's very reasonable that Rivian isn't prioritizing it for now.

I'd definitely love to see a 240v bed outlet for RV usage (or rescuing a Tesla in a pinch). I'd get more out of that than a V2H setup, personally. But again - it's clearly not preventing them from selling every vehicle they can make.

All that said, RJ has previously stated on video that they plan to offer V2H for first-gen R1s via an adapter. That may have changed, but it's not out of the question.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

V2L != V2H. V2L doesn't require a ton of expensive equipment like you're saying, Rivian just chose not to go that route. Like you've stated, the F150's have had the V2L for a while now and I agree, it's very useful and I wish Rivian went that route.

The V2H though does require expensive equipment, and to date only the F150 Lightning offers it to my knowledge, and it isn't cheap. Rivian stated that once V2H chargers are available later next year they'll support them via software updates, but the V2H Chargers are going to be the one doing the heavy lifting and they will be more expensive than your regular chargers.

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
V2L != V2H. V2L doesn't require a ton of expensive equipment like you're saying, Rivian just chose not to go that route. Like you've stated, the F150's have had the V2L for a while now and I agree, it's very useful and I wish Rivian went that route.

The V2H though does require expensive equipment, and to date only the F150 Lightning offers it to my knowledge, and it isn't cheap. Rivian stated that once V2H chargers are available later next year they'll support them via software updates, but the V2H Chargers are going to be the one doing the heavy lifting and they will be more expensive than your regular chargers.
What I don't understand then is how Hyundai is able to deliver 3600W of V2L right out of their CCS port .

The little dongle they ship certainly does not contain a 240V inverter on it. The inverter has to be in the vehicle, and outputting it over CCS.

That requires hardware IN the vehicle to work. It's not in the dongle.

XLR8R

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla MS LR, Audi Q7 S-Line
Occupation
Realtor
Clubs

I really wish Rivian would give us an update on V2H and it seems absurd to me that adopters of EV tech wouldn't be universally pushing for V2H capabilities, as many of the same people undoubtedly have solar at their homes. While the inverters/switches are an additional cost, it is a fraction of what stationary, in-house battery backup systems cost. Furthermore, without a battery backup/power source, solar panels won't produce power when the grid is down, rendering them useless when they could be powering the home. The lack of V2H is probably my biggest disappointment in Tesla, of whom I was also an early adopter. I have a 21-kWh PV system that doesn't do diddly when the lights go out. Since my R1S just got pushed back to some arbitrary time in 2024 (boooo), I'm praying it comes with bi-directional capabilities by then.
Sponsored