Sponsored

When will R1x get V2H like the Lightning?

When will R1x get V2H (vehicle to house) charging like the Ford Lightning?

• It’s probably in the currently delivered trucks. It only needs to be activated.

• It’s coming S00N. (I wonder how early adopters will feel if 6 mos later such capacity is available.)

• It’s likely to debut with Max packs. Perhaps along with 800V?

• It’s like to debut with the dual motor vehicles.

• It’s likely to debut in 2025 or after.

• It may never be available on R1 vehicles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I think we would all like the ability to charge our house or another vehicle with our Rivian. It’s a massive battery after all; why not use it in a pinch for tasks other than driving?

(Sorry if there’s a thread on this but I couldn’t locate it through Search.)
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Where's the "Never" option?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Fixed it! I had it in initially then deleted the Never option. Surely, I thought, it’ll come eventually. But…. yeah, who knows?
Something I haven't really put much thought into is what Rivian is going to do name wise when they do a full refresh on the R1 platform, if they ever will. Maybe it'll be like Tesla where it's just updated so incrementally that it doesn't seem like it's ever really a new vehicle.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
The Rivian has an onboard inverter but it’s only 120v/15A- so it can only power a fridge or a couple small appliances via extension lead. 120v/15A is Pretty weak in my opinion…

V2H/V2x is an automotive protocol and standard that communicates with the vehicle to pull DC power direct from the vehicle battery.
A new V2X EVSE is required which will have its own inverter to take eg. 400v/40A DC power from the car and convert it to 240v/48A AC for the house. The EVSE back feeds the AC power to your breaker panel like the Ford setup does today. The V2x EVSE will require an electronic disconnect/ back feed preventer installed at the meter to stop the vehicle power going out to the street when the grid is down. Much like the manual generator interlock kits used on breaker panels today.

The V2x standards are still being tweaked a bit but the V2x EVSEs should be out next year.

All Rivian needs to do is send a software update to support the V2x communication protocol once the EVSEs hit the market.

The hardware to do proper plug and play V2x will be in the EVSE in your garage. So you will have to swap out your EVSE which will run $600-$1000.

An upside of V2x EVSEs is they also use their inverters to convert 240/48A AC house power to eg. 400v/40A DC power for charging the car. Which effectively charges the car 30-40% faster than the 240/48A charger/inverter built into the truck.

Here is a proper V2X EVSE due out next year.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Minimum of 240v/50A inverter and may be some DC output to help charge stranded Rivians (or other EVs) is a must for an adventure vehicle.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
The F150 does not have V2H/V2x yet…. The F150 has a built in 240v/100A inverter and 240 outlet which can be used to back feed your house or simply run extension leads from your appliances to the truck.

The Rivian also has an onboard inverter but it’s only 120v/15A- so it can only power a fridge or a couple small appliances. 120v/15A is Pretty weak in my opinion…

V2H/V2x is different - it’s an automotive SAE protocol and standard that communicates with the vehicle to pull direct DC power from the vehicle battery. The V2X EVSE has an inverter that takes the 400v/40A DC power from the car and convert it to 240v/48A AC for the house. The EVSE back feeds the AC power right to your breaker panel.
The V2x SAE standards are still being tweaked a bit but the V2x EVSEs should be out next year.

So all Rivian needs to do is offer a software update to support the V2x communication protocol once the standard is finalized. The hardware to do proper plug and play V2x will be in the EVSE in your garage. So you will have to swap out your EVSE which will run $600-$1000. The V2x EVSE will also need some type of electronic back feed preventer installed at the meter to stop the power going out to the street when the grid is down. Much like the manual generator interlock kits used on breaker panels today.

An upside of V2x EVSEs is they also use their inverters to convert 240/48A AC house power to 400v/40A DC power for charging the car. Which effectively charges the car 30-40% faster than the 240/48A charger/inverter built into the truck.

Here is a proper V2X EVSE due out next year.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works
Great explanation, I would just add that the ISO spec for bi directional charging over CCS was released in April (ISO 15118:20). Not sure how this fits into SAE, but it does seem we're getting close to having this capability for CCS. Chademo can already do this.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Great explanation, I would just add that the ISO spec for bi directional charging over CCS was released in April (ISO 15118:20). Not sure how this fits into SAE, but it does seem we're getting close to having this capability for CCS. Chademo can already do this.
Thanks! I tweaked the wording to be more general.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Also here are some previous discussions:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/testing-the-rivian-as-a-‘backup’-power-source.4782/
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...y-of-the-year-i-need-my-r1s-to-have-v2h.6124/

And see here where RJ says this will be possible:
https://stories.rivian.com/lets-just-drive (scroll down to the longer video, discussion is around minute 14) Note he talks about a V2V box and a V2H box coming soon and describes them as being external.

This tech crunch article supposedly quotes Rivian that all R1s are capable already:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/28/are-bidirectional-ev-chargers-ready-for-the-home-market/

I also emailed CS asking them to clarify, but got no reply. Thinking I am going to try emailing Tony and RJ next as a longshot.

It would be really nice to have official word on this. A lot of Rivian enthusiasts are passionate about the brand at least partly because they are trying to take an environmentally friendly/sustainable approach to their business. Mining the materials used is batteries in a significantly damaging process. Being able to reuse these giant batteries for more than one purpose means that much less needs to be mined. Also, the truck's batteries are huge and cost way less than home backup batteries. It would be relatively easy value for Rivian to provide their customers and would buy a LOT of goodwill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I find it surprising that some people think this will never be offered. Is it that difficult to achieve?

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

This seems to be a capability that’s a fairly hard engineering lift. Ford put a lot of R&D into it, and it shows.

I don’t know the exact bottleneck, but I’d guess it’s a long list of moderately complicated items that have to be carefully controlled for safety and the components needed to integrate it into the home. I doubt the hardware itself is that expensive, but it is still a problem to solve.

My guess is that it will be standard on EV’s in a decade, but won’t start showing up for most manufacturers until the back half of this decade.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I find it surprising that some people think this will never be offered. Is it that difficult to achieve?
Not difficult, just not worth pursuing, imo. It’s a niche use case and outside of a few extremes no one will actually use it. At best, it’s a marketing gimmick “checklist” item. Rivian has a LOT of things they could improve and should focus on before worrying about bi-directional charging.

Now if we’re only talking about a stronger inverter and upping the outlet amperage and maybe adding a 220V outlet in the bed — that’s a more compelling feature and is worth it. But the”V2H” that people squawk about is overblown.
Sponsored