Sponsored

Whats the R1T/R1S expected Reliability?

What's your predicted reliability for Rivian?

• Total voters

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Found some pics online with CR expecting a 2/5 reliability on the R1T. Not sure what they used to come to that conclusion...

Rivian R1T R1S Whats the R1T/R1S expected Reliability? FB_IMG_1615125795257

Rivian R1T R1S Whats the R1T/R1S expected Reliability? FB_IMG_1615125780770
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
How do you have 2/5 on Reliability and 5/5 on Satisfaction? I’d suggest that low reliability would lead to low satisfaction, but what do I know.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
How do you have 2/5 on Reliability and 5/5 on Satisfaction? I’d suggest that low reliability would lead to low satisfaction, but what do I know.
Maybe what they're trying to say is that as a new company Rivian is bound to have some reliability issues compared to other manufacturers, but the first batch of customers will put up with those issues somehow because the pros outweigh the cons? I dunno. They're just doing what we do on the forum, as far as I'm concerned: speculating. The only difference is that they're a supposedly renowned publication.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Its an eletric car with a little moving parts with 90% of the issues being related to software items imho. Very little issues I'd imagine.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I haven't read the story, but I could imagine companies / vehicles like Tesla having lower reliability scores and yet still have high satisfaction scores. With transformational products early users are typically SUPER enthusiastic with their new experience and thus tend to diminish issues. So even though they may be experiencing problems on a regular basis, in their mind they're still thrilled with the product - because they're not valuing their experience in the traditional product sense.

Early Rivian buyers may exhibit the same sentiment.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Well this has sort of been the truth in highly anticipated new brands before. Fisher, Tesla, etc. My brother is 100% loyal to Tesla even though his S has had quite a few issues. The thing that makes me the most nervous about Rivian is that it’s likely a lot of the car won’t be serviceable by the average person or local shop. Was hoping Ford would help with this but that may end up being a good thing.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Maybe what they're trying to say is that as a new company Rivian is bound to have some reliability issues compared to other manufacturers, but the first batch of customers will put up with those issues somehow because the pros outweigh the cons?
That was my thought also. IIRC a similar thing occurred (still?) with a new-ish EV company ... now what's that name ... the CEO also runs a space vehicle company and a tunnel boring company ... hmm ...

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... How do you truly review something without having product in hand? Let alone little to no information shared from Manufacturer.
Agree. So what am I missing here by asking this forum to answer a similar poll with the same lack of information? (not trying to be a smarta$$, just looking for some clarity.)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Agree. So what am I missing here by asking this forum to answer a similar poll with the same lack of information? (not trying to be a smarta$$, just looking for some clarity.)
Just my perspective... The difference is a group of interested people tossing ideas and questions/speculation around on a forum verses a nationally published magazine that people use looking for validated information to make informed purchasing decisions on.

It does say they are predictions and not real numbers but not sure they should be in the business to put predictions (educated guesses?) on paper with no real input for a new company preparing for its maiden release. Probably would have been better to have a TBD in those spaces as neither the 2/5 or 5/5 numbers have any basis for this company's review.

OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Consumer Reports is NOT a forum. They are supposed to give unbiased reports, but when they give a rating without any evidence, then they are going against their own mission statement.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just my perspective... The difference is a group of interested people tossing ideas and questions/speculation around on a forum verses a nationally published magazine that people use looking for validated information to make informed purchasing decisions on.

It does say they are predictions and not real numbers but not sure they should be in the business to put predictions (educated guesses?) on paper with no real input for a new company preparing for its maiden release. Probably would have been better to have a TBD in those spaces as neither the 2/5 or 5/5 numbers have any basis for this company's review.
Consumer Reports is NOT a forum. They are supposed to give unbiased reports, but when they give a rating without any evidence, then they are going against their own mission statement.
Thanks guys, totally agree on your points and had already considered them. I guess I'm more about discussing the facts then contributing to the abundance of conjecture that already exists. I think it's called RSS - Rivian Stealth Syndrome. :bandit: No worries, carry on.

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
CR's ratings of Rivian align with the pattern of Tesla. New manufacturer, even one that is testing as much as it looks like Rivian is, will likely have some snags, yet early customers won't care. They're likely being _kind_ and giving Rivian some benefit of the doubt with giving a 2/5 instead of a 1/5 due to what I perceive to be rigorous testing.

Fact of the matter is, at this stage of the game, no one is determining to buy a Rivian based on CR recommendations. In 10 years, when Rivian is a well established player, maybe. But right now they're still in the enthusiast/early adopter stage which is not CR's target audience at all.
Sponsored