Sponsored

Whats the R1T/R1S expected Reliability?

What's your predicted reliability for Rivian?

• Total voters

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've never held CR in high regard, but trying to give a reliability rating for a NEW brand and a NEW product -- especially from a class of vehicle (EV truck) that has never been seen before -- seems foolish. How can CR claim to be data-driven if they're drawing conclusions absent ANY data?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
CR's ratings of Rivian align with the pattern of Tesla. New manufacturer, even one that is testing as much as it looks like Rivian is, will likely have some snags, yet early customers won't care. They're likely being _kind_ and giving Rivian some benefit of the doubt with giving a 2/5 instead of a 1/5 due to what I perceive to be rigorous testing.

Fact of the matter is, at this stage of the game, no one is determining to buy a Rivian based on CR recommendations. In 10 years, when Rivian is a well established player, maybe. But right now they're still in the enthusiast/early adopter stage which is not CR's target audience at all.
This is true of the people in line for the LE and next phase, the problem is you cannot unring a bell. In my experience most people are not critical thinkers, the next time they are thinking about a vehicle or the manufacturers delivering vehicles, they will recall seeing the 2/5 rating, not that it was a predicted number, and it will negatively impact the company.

Think about when you are trouble shooting an issue in mixed company of technical and user groups. Someone throws out a thought, later in the meeting it is proven not to be the issue, months later someone will bring up that thought as if it was part of the issue.

I stand by my assertion they should have said TBD and waited for data before assigning any values.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Its an eletric car with a little moving parts with 90% of the issues being related to software items imho. Very little issues I'd imagine.
I hear this a lot but it's far from the truth. Granted EVs do indeed have fewer parts than gassers, they still have many mechanical parts that can and will fail. Most of the issues I've had with my gassers (before going electric) have actually been related to parts that have nothing to do with the ICE components or exhaust/cooling system. Going from Lexus (gasser) to Tesla (EV) has not resulted in any reliability improvement. In fact it got substantially worse. But like anything, YMMV. I'm hoping all this waiting will result in a robust and reliable truck.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I hear this a lot but it's far from the truth. Granted EVs do indeed have fewer parts than gassers, they still have many mechanical parts that can and will fail. Most of the issues I've had with my gassers (before going electric) have actually been related to parts that have nothing to do with the ICE components or exhaust/cooling system. Going from Lexus (gasser) to Tesla (EV) has not resulted in any reliability improvement. In fact it got substantially worse. But like anything, YMMV. I'm hoping all this waiting will result in a robust and reliable truck.

Very true as well, current situation with my Hyundai Ioniq while the car drives 100% flawless is it included in a global LG Chem Battery/BMS recall for lots of Hyundai Kona's set fire, Ioniq uses same architecture so it is also included but haven't heard anything form Hyundai yet.

The recommendation is not to exceed 90% SoC except the car is not smart enough to do that lol.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Its an eletric car with a little moving parts with 90% of the issues being related to software items imho. Very little issues I'd imagine.
Tesla has this figured out: Door handles that break at $1k each, sunroofs that leak, onboard charger fails, main motor replacement, too small of memory card for endlessly adding easter eggs, not letting CHADEMO adapter owners know they need to upgrade firmware before a road trip...

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I'm ok with reliability problems. Just make sure you have plenty of staff and stuff to fix things. Waiting weeks for appointments and coming back multiple times for parts is not fun.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you look at modern ICE vehicles, the overwhelming number of issues people complain about are software-related.

Stands to reason that EVs, which rely even more heavily on software, are going to have some growing pains.

Take a look at the VW id.4 and Volvo XC40 Recharge and the issues they're currently experiencing, for example.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm ok with reliability problems. Just make sure you have plenty of staff and stuff to fix things. Waiting weeks for appointments and coming back multiple times for parts is not fun.
This is a big concern, for me. Especially since Rivian doesn't seem to have plans for a facility between DC and Atlanta, right now. How will we get service? I know they're talking about possibly having traveling service vans... But then we get into the "will it be six weeks before I can get an appointment"?d

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I agree with SanzC02 this is totally irresponsible of CR.
If a brand new restaurant is coming to town is it ok to rate their steaks as being cooked inconsistently and poor service without even visiting the restaurant because you've had this experience with a different restaurant opening you perceive to be similar (to be fair I have no idea what this is based on). The fact is some people will remember this as fact even though it is completely baseless.
I also think these reliability ratings by CR can be misleading based on products with more bells and whistles are by their very nature less reliable. Example fancy infotainment systems are glitchy analog gauges and anam/ fm tuner radio have very few problems. I prefer a glitchy touchscreen infotainment system.
CR should be held to account.:mad:
Sponsored