Sponsored

What would you do if price increased?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Someone will pay it. Makes me feel better about waiting for a beautiful R1t
I know someone who is paying nearly $20k US for a 1997 F350, 460+5 speed.
insanity.
Sponsored

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Tesla doesn't raise price for people who already placed the order/deposit. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian raised the prices, but it should be only for new orders not for people who already placed the deposit.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'd be out in a heartbeat. I'm already at the top of my budget, and I simply wouldn't trust the company at that point. We've been loyal for years, and a last second price increase would violate my trust.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’d suck up a 10 or 15% jump in price. I’m basing that on what I currently have configured (LE R1S 22s), is only 5k more than I paid for a rear wheel drive Model S 75 in 2016. If I factor in inflation it is actually 3k less.

To me still a bargain if it jumped that much. Of course I’d prefer to pay the current price but….

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Rivian needs excited, enthusiastic early adopters. Raising the price would be a big F you (especially those of us who have been here since 2018) and not a great start for a start up. Based on the level of frustration I already have with Rivian over the past almost 3 years, I would tap out immediately. If anything, Rivian has already removed some significate features from the R1T since the 2018 LA Show. Second, competitors are coming to the market with things like V2H, 30 amp power in the bed, etc. These are significant features Rivian is now lacking. Third, my $1K deposit sounds insignificant, but the opportunity cost of giving this $1,000 to Rivian has been significant. If I would have put my deposit into Telsa stock with my other funds, this $1,000 would now be >$16,000.

Hoping one day to see a Rivian R1T and hoping RJ over-delivers as he has stated.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Third, my $1K deposit sounds insignificant, but the opportunity cost of giving this $1,000 to Rivian has been significant. If I would have put my deposit into Telsa stock with my other funds, this $1,000 would now be >$16,000.
wow, I wish I had an investment that guaranteed 16x returns. I wouldn’t need to work.
Do you mind sharing what these are? I’m ready to retire.

If prices go up it will not be in the first year of production, unless rivian is really, really bad at purchasing.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
wow, I wish I had an investment that guaranteed 16x returns. I wouldn’t need to work.
Do you mind sharing what these are? I’m ready to retire.

If prices go up it will not be in the first year of production, unless rivian is really, really bad at purchasing.
I am not a stockbroker, so not advising anyone and there are definitely no guarantees in the stock market. I made a ton off Tesla in the past year or so. I bought at around $240 when it was going up and down like crazy, then the stock split x5, ran-up, and sold around $800. Bought Ford in the past for around $5.50 if memory is correct and sold for around $14. I learned a lot from Peter Lynch back in the day and just buy in companies that interest me and I know about.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I am not expecting mine (R1S) until late 2022/early 2023, so if Rivian decides to raise the price on my order when it's time to finalize it, I will weigh my options at that point. If the new price is still a better value proposition to its competitors, I will just bite the bullet.

GR

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Tesla doesn't raise price for people who already placed the order/deposit. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian raised the prices, but it should be only for new orders not for people who already placed the deposit.
Tesla is not honoring the price advertised at the time of order for people who ordered Tesla Model S or X in late 2020/early 2021 (prior to the refresh and price increase announcement)

They did offer to refund the nonrefundable deposit though.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion....6Zph.baZVE-1629595297-0-gqNtZGzNAmWjcnBszQxl

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I am not a stockbroker, so not advising anyone and there are definitely no guarantees in the stock market. I made a ton off Tesla in the past year or so. I bought at around $240 when it was going up and down like crazy, then the stock split x5, ran-up, and sold around $800. Bought Ford in the past for around $5.50 if memory is correct and sold for around $14. I learned a lot from Peter Lynch back in the day and just buy in companies that interest me and I know about.
Tesla stock at $800 and Ford at $14 is just mind blowing to me. I do quite a bit of investing and got to wonder when the bottom drops out on that Tesla valuation

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tesla stock at $800 and Ford at $14 is just mind blowing to me. I do quite a bit of investing and got to wonder when the bottom drops out on that Tesla valuation
The price of an individual share doesn't really matter. What matters is market cap. However, in this case, Tesla has a much larger market cap than Ford, as well -- so you're right to wonder when the bottom drops out for Tesla.

Things only get worse as competition heats up, imo.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I would be very sad if the price increased. Probably a deal breaker. But I will say that we just tried to purchase a new KIA Telluride for my wife and the dealer had it marked up $24K OVER MSRP.(it was a hard no from us) So I wouldn't be surprised if the price increased.

Though Honda who we went with, didn't charge us over MSRP.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
My conservative side tends to agree with you about Tesla's valuation, but then I look at say Ford who is almost $150 Billion in debt. GM filed bankruptcy just a few years ago and is now some $115 B in debt. These 2 companies have a fragile path forward IMHO. Tesla has strong vertical integration, low debt, nice cash on hand, 2 New factories getting close to coming online. When we now see how fast Rivian is starting to move, I think they see the writing on the wall. Competition is coming fast from China and if our American companies don't find some urgency very soon, they may not exist in 10 years. Given all that, I think Tesla is still a buy even at today's price.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I would be very sad if the price increased. Probably a deal breaker. But I will say that we just tried to purchase a new KIA Telluride for my wife and the dealer had it marked up $24K OVER MSRP.(it was a hard no from us) So I wouldn't be surprised if the price increased.

Though Honda who we went with, didn't charge us over MSRP.
We bought a Telluride right before Covid hit hard in March 2020. 24K over is insane. It’s not THAT great a vehicle
Sponsored