What would make you drop your preorder?

What will make you drop your preorder?

• Total voters

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Not sure why a 4 second 0-60 time in any kit would cause someone to stop a pre-order. The only thing I can do in less than 4 seconds is blink.

How about in conjunction with the other above listed downsides, adding a super positive real-world outcome for one of the truck EV competitors such as the Lightning, Hummer, etc?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I choose happy and ready for delivery.

I knew placing a preorder for a new vehicle from a new company was going to to have delays, then Covid hit the world as a delay multiplier for so many things. So far none of the delays are a surprise to me, sure I would prefer the vehicle sooner rather than later but I'm confident it will come.

What I signed up for was a 4WD electric SUV that had similar capabilities to my Jeep GC, I had no idea what the price was going to be when I placed the order. I actually assumed it was going to be 110K or higher based on how Tesla initially started delivering their vehicles. The 2012 Model S started at 57K but the high end initial cars were around 100K. The 2016 Model X started at 71K but the initial deliveries were around 140K. I would have to reevaluate the value to me if the price was to exceed my original 110K budget.

Right now the R1S is really the only EV that comes close to what I am looking for. If another one comes to the market first I certainly would take a look at it but nothing I've seen so far meets my criteria. I think with all of the electric trucks coming out in the next 12 to 24 months the R1S could end up being the real star for Rivian.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I need a confirmed delivery date and or a VIN registered by April/May 2022. The delivery date itself could be a few months out.

But If they are still where they are today, which I am hoping they would not, then I will be cancelling my pre-order. I have a couple of vehicles on reservation, and I want a new car by next summer.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
My cars arenā€™t getting any newer right now. Whatever I buy in the next year is going to be it. The Rivian will need to be purchased in the next buying cycle if it misses this window. The R1T is my 1st choice.

Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
The only thing I marked was the 10% price increase, as the R1T is already at the upper limit of what I can afford (don't want to do a loan, just want to pay cash as I'm close to retirement). Related to that would be a change in the policy on the $7500 tax credit. If Congress changes it so that the Rivian is above the price point credited, that would give me some pause. Hopefully, if they do change it, it will be a phase in type of thing, where you get the full credit for the first x amount of cost, then partial credit above that amount.

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
I'm not going to buy another ICE vehicle, and there are no competing vehicles on the market that would cause me to jump ship on my preorder. Even if they were available now, none of the upcoming electric trucks (Ford, Hummer, CT) would cause me to jump ship....

When I considered this question and the response choices, the choices related to price / tax credit definitely rang home... but, at ~ $80k, a few thousands dollars more isn't the deal breaker. My concern is how much am I going to pay for the vehicle *after* I drop the $80k on it?

When I heard the idea of a subscription service, I got a little uncomfortable. I do not want any self-driving features, pretty much ever. My concern is, will I miss out on other features by not paying for the subscription service? Thus, suckering me into paying more for the vehicle over time than I really want to...

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
The biggest thing for me is if I canā€™t get the Rivian in 2022(preferably summer/fall). If itā€™s going to get pushed out to 2023 or maybe even later, then I may keep my preorder ā€œjust in caseā€, but will be looking at other vehicles to replace my model 3.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Iā€™d need to have something else lined up that meets my needs: 3 row all electric SUV that is at least comparable to the R1S on day to day on-road performance metrics. And isnā€™t ugly like the ModelX. So when one comes out Iā€™ll switch to it if I can get it first. Until then Iā€™m waiting.

only other thing is if the infotainment is unusable laggy. Currently it looks acceptable.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I'm not going to buy another ICE vehicle, and there are no competing vehicles on the market that would cause me to jump ship on my preorder. Even if they were available now, none of the upcoming electric trucks (Ford, Hummer, CT) would cause me to jump ship....

When I considered this question and the response choices, the choices related to price / tax credit definitely rang home... but, at ~ $80k, a few thousands dollars more isn't the deal breaker. My concern is how much am I going to pay for the vehicle *after* I drop the $80k on it?

When I heard the idea of a subscription service, I got a little uncomfortable. I do not want any self-driving features, pretty much ever. My concern is, will I miss out on other features by not paying for the subscription service? Thus, suckering me into paying more for the vehicle over time than I really want to...
Exactly I hate monthly subscriptions and would rather keep my old truck and pay for diesel. Cant stand how everything is going that direction now. I guess we will see what it will cost before I complain too much.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I donā€™t need a new/second rig for at least a couple years. Iā€™m willing to be a newbie R1S but being a Jan 2019 pre order, if they start shipping carriers full of 1S to LA and Seattle before meā€¦Iā€™ll let those folks work out the bugs and get one laterā€¦

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
I think the R1T and R1S offer good value so even a 10% price increase wouldn't turn me away.

Tesla just increased the price of their cars by several thousand across the board a few days ago and many auto dealerships are currently bending their customers over with markups over MSRP given supply chain issues that exist so I'm not sure where those that would cancel over a relatively small price increase would be able to turn.
I was at a local Kia dealership to get another key fob for our Soul EV. There were three new cars on the lot... took a pic of the plug-in Sorento's sticker - nuts!

Rivian R1T R1S What would make you drop your preorder? IMG_0911

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I was at a local Kia dealership to get another key fob for our Soul EV. There were three new cars on the lot... took a pic of the plug-in Sorento's sticker - nuts!

IMG_0911.jpeg

Delete this post! Don't give Rivian any ideas!!!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Lol I would volunteer to have Justin Tucker kick me right in the balls before I would pay $55k for a Kia Sorento.
Sponsored