Sponsored

What will we learn on Thursday? A Predictions Thread...

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm here to tell you, it's not all superyachts and supermodels - there's at least 20% supercomputer hacking - tiresome, I tell you.

70% on waiting for scans to finish while sitting on hands LOL.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
It's mind blowing to me that there is still ZERO formal announcement on test drives for preorder holders and we are just a little over a month from when deliveries are supposed to start?!? Or even the ability to see actual vehicle colors in person and sit inside of one. I am willing to bet if deliveries do start in June that it is an insanely low number, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I have greatly tempered my expectation for what info Rivian "owes" me. I'm looking forward to being happily surprised when it comes time to finalize my order. If i'm not I'll simply cancel and wait for the BEV F-150 or something else.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
There are definitely some visual updates to the site since the last time I scrolled through it (a few days ago). I don't see any new real content.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There are definitely some visual updates to the site since the last time I scrolled through it (a few days ago). I don't see any new real content.
I just noticed they changed form the scrolling images to tabbed images/subjects on the vehicle pages.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
For comparison, I was trying to look at the roll-out of information on the Ford Mach E. Obviously, Rivian can do things differently than their blue oval investor, but I thought it might be the only relevant datapoint of a US BEV launched during the pandemic. Others might have more info, but this is what I found online:

11/22/2020 - Ford starts making MME available for media reviews
11/23/2020 - Ford releases EPA range for MME
12/15/2020 - Ford ends embargo, permitting publication of media reviews
12/30/2020 - First MME is delivered to a dealership

I do think we are getting into the window of time where Rivian could start providing information and models for review.

I was having trouble figuring out test drive information for the MME. Seems like a few dealerships got test models for people to drive at the dealership. However, for the earliest of deliveries, it looks like most people went to their dealership and test drove their own ordered vehicle before finalizing the purchase.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
For comparison, I was trying to look at the roll-out of information on the Ford Mach E. Obviously, Rivian can do things differently than their blue oval investor, but I thought it might be the only relevant datapoint of a US BEV launched during the pandemic. Others might have more info, but this is what I found online:

11/22/2020 - Ford starts making MME available for media reviews
11/23/2020 - Ford releases EPA range for MME
12/15/2020 - Ford ends embargo, permitting publication of media reviews
12/30/2020 - First MME is delivered to a dealership

I do think we are getting into the window of time where Rivian could start providing information and models for review.

I was having trouble figuring out test drive information for the MME. Seems like a few dealerships got test models for people to drive at the dealership. However, for the earliest of deliveries, it looks like most people went to their dealership and test drove their own ordered vehicle before finalizing the purchase.
Here’s hoping Rivian does better than Ford. Also by way of comparison, I know less about options and pricing for my Mach E GT pre-order than I do about the R1T.... and Ford is supposed to open conversions of GT pre-orders to orders in 6 days!!
I don’t even know what the main option - the performance package - or the non-standard pano roof will cost.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is true. Each dealer was allowed to order one demo model which was supposed to be used for test drives or courtesy transportation, and these were to be the first vehicles built. However, as production slipped the priority was turned over to customer vehicles, so most First Edition vehicles and many other early orders arrived at dealers before the demo vehicle, leaving no opportunity to test drive until the ordered vehicle arrived. Ford did have a tour last fall where they brought the Mach-E to many dealers so you could look at and sit in it, but no test drives were allowed.

Ford's approach worked because even if you ordered a vehicle, you were under no obligation to take delivery and could request a refund of your deposit even after the vehicle was built and arrived at your dealer. Rivian needs to offer some sort of similar money back guarantee if you drive the vehicle and decide you don't want it. The challenge is with the direct sale and home delivery model Rivian is using, you are going to have to complete the sale prior to seeing the vehicle. If you decide you don't want it, Rivian would then be buying back a used vehicle and only be able to re-market it as used. It's not the same as the dealer just keeping the vehicle as new and selling it to the next customer who walks in.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

We're all just Pavlov's dogs, and Pavlov forgot to feed us before going to work today.
Honestly these folks need to just start publishing the night before or send out their schedule. I can't be sitting here all day not working while having my script auto fresh all sites while drinking a ton of coffee. People have to work!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Honestly these folks need to just start publishing the night before or send out their schedule. I can't be sitting here all day not working while having my script auto fresh all sites while drinking a ton of coffee. People have to work!
Dear Rivian community. We will be publishing info tomorrow at 9 am. Enjoy the info.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Dear Rivian community. We will be publishing info tomorrow at 9 am. Enjoy the info.
From CS? I should probably ask but at this point I was tired of hearing SOON.
Sponsored