Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

The pano roof actually helps with manufacturing. It provides a large opening for the welding and adhesive robots to access the body.
100% agree with this. I just wonder how heavy the glass is compared to a solid metal roof with a headliner?
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You realize their field testing has nothing to do with EPA testing, right?
Yes, but while off-road racing and getting 150 miles of range or cold weather testing at 100 mph are all necessary, they do little to help engineers fine tune range. I know they are doing other driving too but I bet those drives are still testing various systems. I also would expect that EPA numbers are based on a Production spec vehicle. Which, apparently, hasn't been determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rad

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Highly unlikely and pure speculation.
That is what "I am guessing" would imply. I suppose I could change my wording to "It is my pure speculation..." ?

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
I donā€™t understand the speculation behind Rivian not meeting EPA goals. This is something they wouldā€™ve tracked and evaluated very frequently over the development of the vehicle. When you engineer a vehicle there are key metrics at the system level that you measure and track over the course of its development. This is one of them. This isnā€™t a test you wait till the end of vehicle development to perform and just see where it ends up.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I donā€™t understand the speculation behind Rivian not meeting EPA goals. This is something they wouldā€™ve tracked and evaluated very frequently over the development of the vehicle. When you engineer a vehicle there are key metrics at the system level that you measure and track over the course of its development. This is one of them. This isnā€™t a test you wait till the end of vehicle development to perform and just see where it ends up.
100% This

The assertions that it's under or even way under and they are "covering it up" is a bit ridiculous. They took what? 9-10 years before even showing their product. Have faith. As Elon has said many times, "Prototypes are easy, production is hard" We'll get there and maybe, just maybe the EPA results will have an extra 30-50 miles of range beyond what Rivian has advertised (Maybe the + at the end really is a substantial +)

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
My guesses (pure speculation, to reduce any confusion):

• We learn through forum members that have already been contacted that guides don't have much more material information than CS does. Calls will be brief introductory calls confirming build options, accessories, etc. Maybe they give a 4-8 week estimated delivery timeframe. 90% of questions will be answered with some variation of "soon".
  • We will not learn EPA ratings this week. When we do (Early July), the R1T will come in at 302 without off-road package, spare tire, accessories. Adding any of these will reduce range below 300.
  • We will not get an update on the interior nor the UI this week.
  • We might get some additional real-life photos of different exterior paint color options.
Just trying to set reasonable expectations for myself and others.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
My guesses (pure speculation, to reduce any confusion):

• We learn through forum members that have already been contacted that guides don't have much more material information than CS does. Calls will be brief introductory calls confirming build options, accessories, etc. Maybe they give a 4-8 week estimated delivery timeframe. 90% of questions will be answered with some variation of "soon".
  • We will not learn EPA ratings this week. When we do (Early July), the R1T will come in at 302 without off-road package, spare tire, accessories. Adding any of these will reduce range below 300.
  • We will not get an update on the interior nor the UI this week.
  • We might get some additional real-life photos of different exterior paint color options.
Just trying to set reasonable expectations for myself and others.
Agree, we wont learn about range and interior this week. If Ford and Hyundai can share range details why not Rivian which is much closer to production. My gut tells me something is not looking good with range/EPA certification hence the delays.

If the range is below 300 and with no 800V/350Kw charging, R1S/T will look like product with outdated tech on day 1.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
My guess is that at best the guides will offer information relating to production and timing. Like we have x R1Ts in the black/blue combo, if you order as-is we expect it to get to you in x weeks. If you add this or change that it will take x weeks more. Those are all things that are specific to an early pre-order. Anything to do with range, interior dimensions, financing etc. applies to all pre-order holders; a guide conversation with one individual is not the best avenue to release that info.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
Agree, we wont learn about range and interior this week. If Ford and Hyundai can share range details why not Rivian which is much closer to production. My gut tells me something is not looking good with range/EPA certification hence the delays.

If the range is below 300 and with no 800V/350Kw charging, R1S/T will look like product with outdated tech on day 1.
I looked and coundt find the actual numbers on the new ones from Ford and Hyundai only the estimates just like Rivian do you have those to share? I am looking at both the Lightning and Ionic 5 and those numbers would be great. Thanks!

Sponsored

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Agree with this...but I wouldnā€™t assume they didnā€™t get bad news on R1T with 20s coming in right below 300. That first digit makes a huge difference. FYI...They had f150 mules on the road with the skateboard testing well before any prototypes were spotted.
They could have extrapolated range years ago.

Wanderer

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Etron

Hyundai has not released any more detail on range than Rivian. They provided an internally estimated range and said that EPA numbers wonā€™t be out until later this year close to launch. The same is true for Ford.

There is no reason to have EPA range finalized and released until you are ready to take someoneā€™s order, despite what many people want to be the case.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

We will learn if initial RG (Rivian Guide) contacts are sworn to secrecy - or at least asked politely to not pass along information about what details they DID NOT get during first RG contact.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

We will learn if initial RG (Rivian Guide) contacts are sworn to secrecy - or at least asked politely to not pass along information about what details they DID NOT get during first RG contact.
haha it would be a pretty hard ask for someone excited about the product, not working for rivian, to keep any information gleaned from the guides from others.

But my prediction is the guides will not share any meaningful details on the vehicles other than what is currently known. It's likely an initial one on one to get to know each other, figure out potential financing/insurance/delivery options which would be followed up in the "coming weeks" with "exciting information they can't wait to share" .

Share it dammit! haha

Reactions: Rad

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Am I the only one that does not understand all of this range discussion?

Rivian provided this information back in 2018 when they previewed the trucks. It has been on their website since the beginning. Not sure how anyone can be saying we do not have it and in the same statements thinking all of the other manufacturers did not come up with their estimates the same way Rivian did.

They did not pull that number out of thin air and certainly would not have put it on the website if it wasn't close (probably conservatively). The manufacturers are responsible for running the EPA tests based on specific criteria, they provide the numbers to the EPA to be certified. This is not like getting a blood test form the doctor and waiting for the results.

I just can't wrap my head around how so many people can be thinking of purchasing an $80K truck forma brand new startup and have virtually no faith in any of the information they are getting from the company. If I had even half of the negativity I have been reading recently I would have cut and run a long time ago.
Sponsored