Hexijen

First Name
Caley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glacier/Ocean Coast, 20AT, Offroad
Clubs

Caley, thank you for keeping this list continually updated. I have to image it is difficult to do. It is a great resource. So great job!
My pleasure. It isn't difficult as I am powered by my enthusiasm for this awesome vehicle. :involve:

Just like everyone else, I am happy to have all the updates from Rivian in one place

For some reason I stopped getting email updates for about two days, so I'll have to keep an eye on this thread manually

Jimbo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette - BMWs
I also asked Rivian if the tailgate is still powered, as I have seen in their various videos, and mentioned that I did not see this listed as part of the Adventure Package description.

Also asked if this would be a future OTA update function?

I received an answer yesterday from Rivian, and their reply was:
"This version of the R1T will have a manual liftgate."

Not sure if a powered tailgate will be an 'option' on a future model? Very disappointed that this function was not standard/included, as their videos show a powered tailgate - one of the functions that attracted me to the Rivian pickup truck.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
A manual tailgate raises an interesting question: where exactly will they place the release handle?

Rivian R1T R1S What We Know - Collecting Information Directly From Rivian tailgate

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I asked them about this via email yesterday, will post here when I get a response. Here are the questions:

- which wheel and tire combo is best to maximize comfort?
- which wheel and tire combo is best to maximize range?
- which wheel and tire combo is best to maximize grip on wet roads?
Finally got a response today via email:
The best wheel and tire option for comfort would be either the 21" Road or 22" Sport. Both are all-season tires that offer low rolling resistance. The 21" would be the best option for maximizing on range, whereas the 22" is designed to have a little more grip of the road for improved performance. Between the 21" and 22", the 22" would handle the best on wet roads due to having more grip. The 20" is more geared towards off-roading and would handle the best in inclement weather but would not be ideal for efficiency if you don't plan on off-roading.

Any competing/conflicting experiences to the response?

If not, I'm inclined to stick to the 22" Sport wheels I selected, since I live in hilly and mostly wet Seattle. I will likely not be rock-crawling or fjording with any regularity (although I'm definitely going to be tempted to try at least once!). I also think the Sport wheels are the best looking ones in the two-tone silver/black colorway. Going all-black though makes it a toss-up again ...

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I received an answer yesterday from Rivian, and their reply was:
"This version of the R1T will have a manual liftgate."

Not sure if a powered tailgate will be an 'option' on a future model? Very disappointed that this function was not standard/included, as their videos show a powered tailgate - one of the functions that attracted me to the Rivian pickup truck.
Seems like we need to add this to the list of “over promised and under delivered”.

Unfortunately, the list is long and growing.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Finally got a response today via email:
The best wheel and tire option for comfort would be either the 21" Road or 22" Sport. Both are all-season tires that offer low rolling resistance. The 21" would be the best option for maximizing on range, whereas the 22" is designed to have a little more grip of the road for improved performance. Between the 21" and 22", the 22" would handle the best on wet roads due to having more grip. The 20" is more geared towards off-roading and would handle the best in inclement weather but would not be ideal for efficiency if you don't plan on off-roading.

Any competing/conflicting experiences to the response?

If not, I'm inclined to stick to the 22" Sport wheels I selected, since I live in hilly and mostly wet Seattle. I will likely not be rock-crawling or fjording with any regularity (although I'm definitely going to be tempted to try at least once!). I also think the Sport wheels are the best looking ones in the two-tone silver/black colorway. Going all-black though makes it a toss-up again ...
I'm hoping if the 20" AT doesn't work out for me I can have many chices for 20" all season that will give me the mazimum range the 21" will. Lets here some feed back on my idea.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm hoping if the 20" AT doesn't work out for me I can have many chices for 20" all season that will give me the mazimum range the 21" will. Lets here some feed back on my idea.
Replacing the OEM 275/65R20 AT size a 275/60R20 AS would bring the diameter down to match the 21 and 22 inch offerings (~33" vs 34") and should help a bit with range.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
A manual tailgate raises an interesting question: where exactly will they place the release handle?

tailgate.png
It is located on the top rear of the driver side bed. There is a button there, basically just above the tail light on the back, there is a picture on the web site. On another thread about camper shells this was discussed because it would be blocked by the shell sitting on top.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
It is located on the top rear of the driver side bed. There is a button there, basically just above the tail light on the back, there is a picture on the web site. On another thread about camper shells this was discussed because it would be blocked by the shell sitting on top.
Isn't the button for the power gate?

Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Isn't the button for the power gate?
My understanding is that it is a tailgate release button in order to open it. Not like the demonstrations with the power tailgate. IMO, I prefer the release and manual version if it doesn't do the 180 opening anyway.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My understanding is that it is a tailgate release button in order to open it. Not like the demonstrations with the power tailgate. IMO, I prefer the release and manual version if it doesn't do the 180 opening anyway.
Most newer trucks have a hydraulic damper to slowly lower the gate when hitting the release button. I am sure that is what they have incorporated.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
This is exactly what I'm doing.

I have the 20"s configured, which come with 275/65R20 tires.
I'll immediately set those tires aside and put 275/60R20 all-seasons on.

275/60R20 is almost exactly the same circumference as the 275/55R21 they say maximize range. So as long as you find a low-rolling-resistence 275/60R20 your range should be basically the same as the 21"s

I would just go ahead and get the 21s except I can't stomach having a 100% unique tire size for which replacements will be an expensive PITA to find.

Would much rather be able to get replacements in any brand, at Costco or any local tire shop, instead of having to track down one specific Pirelli made only for this vehicle.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
This is exactly what I'm doing.

I have the 20"s configured, which come with 275/65R20 tires.
I'll immediately set those tires aside and put 275/60R20 all-seasons on.

275/60R20 is almost exactly the same circumference as the 275/55R21 they say maximize range. So as long as you find a low-rolling-resistence 275/60R20 your range should be basically the same as the 21"s

I would just go ahead and get the 21s except I can't stomach having a 100% unique tire size for which replacements will be an expensive PITA to find.

Would much rather be able to get replacements in any brand, at Costco or any local tire shop, instead of having to track down one specific Pirelli made only for this vehicle.
That's a fair point and strategy. Seems like the 20" offers the best flexibility if tire swapping is on the cards. And also an aha moment for me in terms of the fact that the tire has more to do with the range than the wheel - unless I'm misunderstanding?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

If Rivian can demonstrate/assure that the replacement 21s will be readily available at a reasonable price, only then would I consider configuring a Launch Edition with them.
Unless you really want the other wheels/tires, avoiding the upcharge on an Adventure/Explorer would pay the likely added cost for a fair number of the Rivian specific 21 inch tires
Sponsored