skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, will be ordering R1S
Based on the people still talking about the pano roof and whether it is electrochromic or photo-sensitive...

Q. Ok. There has been some posts about it still being somewhat adjustable. Does Rivian call it something in particular?

A. While it is an adjusting tint, it is not the electrochromic roof.
At this point, it is just our panoramic glass roof!

Q. So it is auto-adjusting based off light input from the outside?

A. Yes, exactly. Similar to prescription sunglasses.

Hopefully this clears it up...
Dude, I had written off the previous comment from Rivian CS about the automatic transparency as misinformation. Had another chat today that told me "that was the previous plan", but now I'm confused again.

Now I'm curious whether it will be a standard static tinted glass roof (like Tesla), or either photochromic or thermochromic.

Chewy734

Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330i, Ford Taurus
Does anyone know if the Elevation 360° audio will be available as an option for the EP trim?

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, will be ordering R1S
Does anyone know if the Elevation 360° audio will be available as an option for the EP trim?
Doubtful, seems like they're trying to standardize as much as possible & minimize mixing/matching.

johnking

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW X3, Reservation for R1S
Just finished reading all the 14 pages in this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed and to @Hexijen for compiling the list. It certainly helps to know what we are buying :).

In my Model S, the tinted glass rooftop doesn't cut it for me. On a sunny day with the outside weather (~44 degrees and greater) it can get pretty warm inside the car. I installed the sunshade that Tesla sells and even that did not help much. By the time I would reach work after a 45 mins commute, I would have a headache. I started wearing a hat as a work-around and that helped a lot. Finally, I ended up going to Joanns and getting a fabric which they had for car interior, cut it to size, stitched 4 suction cups to the fabric and mounted it along with the sunshade. Haven't taken it out for the last two years and it helps during the winter as well with climate control. It's a pity that I have to do something for a ~$90K vehicle. In my BMW X3 the panoramic roof has a sliding cover and it's such a blessing. We open it when we need it and it is motorized.

I hope Rivian does offer better-than-Tesla solution otherwise, I will have to do something similar or go with some after-market options for the R1S. It would be ok to have a manual one than have none at all IMHO.

Just as many of you have done, I am going to drop an email asking for the dark colored Tires to be presented as default options to chose from.

Last edited:

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Personally, I don't get the industry's infatuation with glass roofs or the resistance to pairing them with sun shades if they're going to offer them. Hopefully Rivian gets this right and we're not having to rig up our own hack solutions to compensate.

Surferdude

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
[/QUOTE]
In my Model S, the tinted glass rooftop doesn't cut it for me. On a sunny day with the outside weather (~44 degrees and greater) it can get pretty warm inside the car. I installed the sunshade that Tesla sells and even that did not help much. By the time I would reach work after a 45 mins commute, I would have a headache. I started wearing a hat as a work-around and that helped a lot. Finally, I ended up going to Joanns and getting a fabric which they had for car interior, cut it to size, stitched 4 suction cups to the fabric and mounted it along with the sunshade. Haven't taken it out for the last two years and it helps during the winter as well with climate control. It's a pity that I have to do something for a ~$90K vehicle. In my BMW X3 the panoramic roof has a sliding cover and it's such a blessing. We open it when we need it and it is motorized.

I hope Rivian does offer better-than-Tesla solution otherwise, I will have to do something similar or go with some after-market options for the R1S. It would be ok to have a manual one than have none at all IMHO.

I'm in the exact same boat. Very disappointed in these gimmicky glass roofs. I live in a hot climate and can't stand the sun beaming down on my head and face while driving my Tesla. It is far more than just distracting. Apparently there is highly reflective, mirrored tint film that can be installed on the outside of glass. I plan to have the guy that tinted my previous vehicles tint the exterior glass roof of my Rivian. Having the tint installed on the exterior should be far more effective at keeping the heat out. I am assuming it probably won't last more than 3 or 4 years because it's on the exterior of the glass but I'm willing to replace it as needed. I am also thinking of doing two layers of tint (one inside and one outside) if the factory tint isn't dark enough.

McMoo

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanks @Surferdude , @electruck. Let's see what Rivian does. Worst case, the double layer of tint is possibly the best option.
I added 35% ceramic tint to my model 3 glass roof and have never felt heat from the sun come through at all. I only had it for a week without the added tint so don’t remember what that was like. Not sure why the S would be different but if it’s an older one maybe Tesla improved. I really like the glass roof, especially for the kids who can look out.

Rivianmd

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Thanks for your patience in us getting back to you! We appreciate your support!

The 20" all-terrain and 22" performance tire will have a reduced range compared to the 21" all-season. We are currently completing our EPA certification on all of our tire options and will publish more detailed information on range impacts once complete!

The rear bin storage capacity in the R1S is 7.1 cu ft. While I don't have the capacity with the seats folded, I can provide you with the approximate dimensions! With the second and third rows folded, it is about 85" from the tailgate to the back of the front seat. The width in the rear is about 51" depending on where you measure and the minimum height is 28". It's about 50" from the tailgate to the back of the second row.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for reaching out!

Your fellow adventurer,

Kyle

Rivianmd

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
My questions
Hi, couple of quick questions. When do you anticipate more details on an expected range; specifically for different wheel variants. Also, can you provide cubic feet storage numbers behind third, second, first row, as well as under seat/floor as applicable? I am not sure what the stated 101 on the configuration represents.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicles
BMW740i, Trailblazer, Audi Cabriolet
If you have received information directly from Rivian (email, chat, twitter) that is not currently available on their website, post here and I will add it to this original post.

General
  • Rivian LE is now sold out - Rivian twitter 2020/11/20 1:30PM PST
  • Rivian intends to finish delivering all Launch Editions in 2021 - St Bernard - 2020/11/17
  • All Rivian's will have heated steering wheels - JMR1T via Emma (Chat) - 2020/11/11
  • 12-way power seats (driver), 8-way (passenger) - godfodder0901 via Martin - 2020/11/17
  • Roof rack/rails to be added to the configurator "soon" - DBO via Martin (chat) - 2020/11/16
  • All paint colors are flaked, except the Glacier White - ESTRUCK via phone - 2020/11/17
  • Electrochromatic roof option has been put on hold - ElectricDan via chat - 2020/11/17
    • Roof will auto tint based on the amount of sunlight - jimcgov3 via chat 2020/11/20
  • Roof glass will not come with a sliding shade - Fenwayfan77 - 2020/11/17
  • Folding mirror technology - Fenwayfan77 - 2020/11/17
    • Auto dimming, power folding, power adjustment, high gloss arm/base, puddle lamps, integrated turn signals, blindspot indicator, surround view camera, heated mirror
  • Rivian confirms that they have switched from talking about kwh to range for their battery packs as they may not be exactly 135 kwh anymore - drhnbtx via Caitlin chat - 2020/11/17
  • Details of Elevation 360° audio - cohall - 2020/11/18, denvr 2020/11/19
    • 1400w vs standard 280w
    • 22 speakers (R1S) or 18 speakers (R1T) vs 14 (std) - Shzeph via Sara chat - 2020/11/20
    • Higher quality components
    • More channels including: four roof speakers and a coaxial center channel
    • Subwoofers (2 for R1T under second row seating, 1 for R1S in cargo area)
  • Removable bluetooth speaker /lantern and have 6.5 hour battery - jimcgov3 - 2020/11/18
  • Rivian is listening to feedback about adding dark wheels as an option for the launch edition and is considering adding this as an option - lonestar via email - 2020/11/18
  • Tank turn is still included - godfodder0901 via JR chat - 2020/11/11
  • Both models will use the (5x5.5) bolt pattern - Smithery via Justin chat - 2020/11/19
  • RAN chargers will be exclusive to Rivians - RJ interview by youtuber Tesla Raj 2020/02/03
  • For interior space specifications, see whyasky's post in this thread - 2020/11/20

R1S Specfic
  • 2in tow hitch behind rear facia is standard - DBO via Martin (Chat) - 2020/11/17
  • 7,700 lbs towing capacity - babbuino - 2020/11/16
  • Heated and ventilated rear seats - Hangryboy via Nicole chat - 2020/11/12
  • The air compressor is tied to the offroad package - babbuino via Emma chat - 2020/11/18
  • R1S third row seats fold nearly flat, to put things in perspective, it is roughly 90% flat - Coast2Coast via Brian email - 2020/11/19
  • Third row seats are removable with proper tools - electruck - 2020/11/19
  • 40° tilt/slide on the second-row seats - PostMinivanDad via Becka email - 2020/10/30

R1T Specific
  • All R1T's will have a full size spare included - godfodder0901 via JR/Katy (Chat) - 2020/11/17
    • This conflicts with stated information from the website - it appears that it will be included but also be for sale. Some regions may not have it included
  • Rear seats will be heated - godfodder0901 via Katy (Chat) - 2020/11/17
  • 2" Class V receiver, 11k lbs towing capacity, 810 lbs tongue weight - babbuino - 2020/11/16
  • Towing will use a 7-pin connector - jacksonhandy via email - 2020/11/18
  • Tailgate no longer folds down 180°, but is still powered - jimcgov3 via chat 2020/11/19
  • Gear Tunnel Dimensions are 65.6" long, 21.2" tall, 15.3" wide - Smithery, Hexijen - 2020/10/12
  • Width between the wheel wells in the bed is 1277mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
  • Height from bed floor to top of bed rail is 465mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
  • Height from bed to bottom of rear spoiler is 922mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
If you have received information directly from Rivian (email, chat, twitter) that is not currently available on their website, post here and I will add it to this original post.

General
  • Rivian LE is now sold out - Rivian twitter 2020/11/20 1:30PM PST
  • Rivian intends to finish delivering all Launch Editions in 2021 - St Bernard - 2020/11/17
  • All Rivian's will have heated steering wheels - JMR1T via Emma (Chat) - 2020/11/11
  • 12-way power seats (driver), 8-way (passenger) - godfodder0901 via Martin - 2020/11/17
  • Roof rack/rails to be added to the configurator "soon" - DBO via Martin (chat) - 2020/11/16
  • All paint colors are flaked, except the Glacier White - ESTRUCK via phone - 2020/11/17
  • Electrochromatic roof option has been put on hold - ElectricDan via chat - 2020/11/17
    • Roof will auto tint based on the amount of sunlight - jimcgov3 via chat 2020/11/20
  • Roof glass will not come with a sliding shade - Fenwayfan77 - 2020/11/17
  • Folding mirror technology - Fenwayfan77 - 2020/11/17
    • Auto dimming, power folding, power adjustment, high gloss arm/base, puddle lamps, integrated turn signals, blindspot indicator, surround view camera, heated mirror
  • Rivian confirms that they have switched from talking about kwh to range for their battery packs as they may not be exactly 135 kwh anymore - drhnbtx via Caitlin chat - 2020/11/17
  • Details of Elevation 360° audio - cohall - 2020/11/18, denvr 2020/11/19
    • 1400w vs standard 280w
    • 22 speakers (R1S) or 18 speakers (R1T) vs 14 (std) - Shzeph via Sara chat - 2020/11/20
    • Higher quality components
    • More channels including: four roof speakers and a coaxial center channel
    • Subwoofers (2 for R1T under second row seating, 1 for R1S in cargo area)
  • Removable bluetooth speaker /lantern and have 6.5 hour battery - jimcgov3 - 2020/11/18
  • Rivian is listening to feedback about adding dark wheels as an option for the launch edition and is considering adding this as an option - lonestar via email - 2020/11/18
  • Tank turn is still included - godfodder0901 via JR chat - 2020/11/11
  • Both models will use the (5x5.5) bolt pattern - Smithery via Justin chat - 2020/11/19
  • RAN chargers will be exclusive to Rivians - RJ interview by youtuber Tesla Raj 2020/02/03
  • For interior space specifications, see whyasky's post in this thread - 2020/11/20

R1S Specfic
  • 2in tow hitch behind rear facia is standard - DBO via Martin (Chat) - 2020/11/17
  • 7,700 lbs towing capacity - babbuino - 2020/11/16
  • Heated and ventilated rear seats - Hangryboy via Nicole chat - 2020/11/12
  • The air compressor is tied to the offroad package - babbuino via Emma chat - 2020/11/18
  • R1S third row seats fold nearly flat, to put things in perspective, it is roughly 90% flat - Coast2Coast via Brian email - 2020/11/19
  • Third row seats are removable with proper tools - electruck - 2020/11/19
  • 40° tilt/slide on the second-row seats - PostMinivanDad via Becka email - 2020/10/30

R1T Specific
  • All R1T's will have a full size spare included - godfodder0901 via JR/Katy (Chat) - 2020/11/17
    • This conflicts with stated information from the website - it appears that it will be included but also be for sale. Some regions may not have it included
  • Rear seats will be heated - godfodder0901 via Katy (Chat) - 2020/11/17
  • 2" Class V receiver, 11k lbs towing capacity, 810 lbs tongue weight - babbuino - 2020/11/16
  • Towing will use a 7-pin connector - jacksonhandy via email - 2020/11/18
  • Tailgate no longer folds down 180°, but is still powered - jimcgov3 via chat 2020/11/19
  • Gear Tunnel Dimensions are 65.6" long, 21.2" tall, 15.3" wide - Smithery, Hexijen - 2020/10/12
  • Width between the wheel wells in the bed is 1277mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
  • Height from bed floor to top of bed rail is 465mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
  • Height from bed to bottom of rear spoiler is 922mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
Caley, thank you for keeping this list continually updated. I have to image it is difficult to do. It is a great resource. So great job!

manitou202

Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron, R1S Launch Edition Reservation
Has anyone confirmed horsepower and acceleration specs for the "medium" size battery?

Not that I need an SUV to do 0-60 in 3 seconds, but it's kinda cool at the same time.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Has anyone confirmed horsepower and acceleration specs for the "medium" size battery?

Not that I need an SUV to do 0-60 in 3 seconds, but it's kinda cool at the same time.
They have horsepower numbers for each battery pair (front and rear) on the website. I think it adds up to 835 or something in that area (I'm going from memory). There is no guarantee they will actually allow all four motors to max out at the same time, and I think they used to say 750. Figure somewhere between those two numbers.

The only 0-60 times I've seen are for the Large pack (formerly 135kw) and the Max pack (formerly 180kW). Those are 3 seconds and 3.2 seconds. I haven't seen any differentiation between the R1S and R1T.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky
Occupation
Engineer
Caley, thank you for keeping this list continually updated. I have to image it is difficult to do. It is a great resource. So great job!
The R1T tongue weight is wrong in this list, my chat confirmed 1470 lbs, not 810. 810 does not work for an 11,000lb trailer.

ja_kub_sz

Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Land Rover Discovery
With all of these controls (tailgate latch; gear tunnel latch; etc.) on the top surface of the bed rails it looks like those of us who might want a camper shell will be SOL as the shell would sit right on top of all those controls.
I'm sure they can come up with something that would allow access to the button while maintaining the integrity of the cab.

Really excited about the 18 speaker stereo for the R1T. My 35k mile/year driving will be more enjoyable now. I still miss the shoulder level seat tweeters that my old STS used to have. The Bose CenterPoint system was really good. Really wish I got to hear the Panaray Bose system.

None the less 18 speakers with the 4 ceiling ones seems cool.

Excited!

Only remaining complaint now is no HUD... That's the last box I would like checked before Rivian starts making the R1T.

How hard would it be to have information projected up onto the windshield which you find in nearly all luxury cars now a days?

Last edited:

Advertisement

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MisterTea Ordering, Pricing, Production, Delivery 42

Advertisement