parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
The truck will presumably level itself.

Trailers come in all sorts of hitch heights off the ground. I mean, visualize it or go to a trailer sales place with a tape. Depends on tire size, springs, etc…

It is the trailer you are trying to level to itself as best you can.

You can see the physics of why a level trailer is what you want if you think about it….
Sponsored

Utecitec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
I've got one of these installed. Probably overkill for something I could get a simpler version of, but I think its neat.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Forgive the naïve question but, doesn't this fancy truck lift itself up and down?
Wouldn't a straight (or 3" drop) hitch + changing ride heights also serve this purpose?
Once you plug in trailer lights and the vehicle recognizes you are towing, or you select towing in the drive mode, automatic ride adjustments are turned off. When in towing mode you can change your ride height only if you are in park. Once out of park it does not allow for changes like the other drive modes. Which makes sense because you don't want those height changes when towing as that could cause problems. Like others said, you want the trailer as level as possible and if your height is changing throughout the drive that could cause sway/balance issues.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

It all depends on your trailer(s) that you use and the ride height you plan to tow in. Since Towing Mode mode runs at standard height at default, thats the height I keep the vehicle in including when I tow. That way I never have to think about changing the ride height in tow mode. I'm currently using a B&W 5" drop receiver as that one gives me some flexibility with the couple trailers that I tow. With my boat I need the 5" drop, but my flat bed trailer needs about a 4" drop.
Rivian R1T R1S What trailer hitch are you guys using? 1663076668912

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the B&W Tow & Stow to be flexible with the couple different trailers I use. It gives both 2" and 2 5/16" balls and is adjustable up and down. I never actually leave it in the receiver though so the "Stow" function isn't necessary.

Rivian R1T R1S What trailer hitch are you guys using? 1663077221836

Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Met a guy at a charge station that was talking about his r1s reservation and how he was going to be pulling his boat with it using conserve mode. I told him that the truck goes into tow mode when the plug is in there.
If the lights are plugged in and you try to leave tow mode you do get a warning message about potential damage to the vehicle if you try towing outside of tow mode. I imagine if something broke during towing while in a different mode Rivian could and most likely would deny a warranty claim. I do think Rivian should offer a "Conserve Tow" mode where the truck itself determines if the load its currently pulling requires all 4 motors or just two. Maybe someday.

Mark’s RT-1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and Model Y Perf. And some other EVs
Occupation
Bus. Owner.
Clubs

B&W Tow and Stow all the way. But for me, the 5" is just too darned big under this truck. I went with the 3" and it looks perfect for full time use on the truck. I don't think I'll need the additional drop that the 5" provides.