Sponsored

What makes for a "Compatible Tesla Supercharger" ?

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

The one at Westgate in Glendale AZ is extremely busy and they opened it up last week for NACS. But the pricing at that site is $0.57/kwh during the day. 5 miles away, another site in Glendale (Magic Dock) costs $0.39/kwh 24 hours a day. It is always near empty.

Tesla bases their pricing on the congestion at the different sites.
Congested sites also have higher utility demand charges due to the continuous high load/usage
Sponsored

IdaX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3YX, Rivian R1S
Occupation
scientist
The OP's point is that some V3 chargers are listed as incompatible.

Both the Tesla app and the Rivian App list the Silverthorne supercharger as not compatible even though it is a V3 charger.
Has someone tried that one? I think that part of the 'incompatibility' is physical: Tesla put in curbstops so that you couldn't crash your Tesla into the dispensers, but those prevent many EVs from getting close enough to charge (*cough* F150 Lightning I'm looking at you). So for some stations they have to show up and install new bollards, remove old blocks, and such to make it truly 'compatible'.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I too have seen V3 SCs go from incompatible to compatible in the last couple weeks since Ford announced. In this case in Goleta and San Luis Obispo.

Out of Spec Kyle mentioned something about a DC meter requiring an update to enable compatibility with non-Tesla vehicles, but I have not seen that confirmed anywhere else.

From what I have seen, all of the V4 dispensers have been equipped with native magic docks, so hopefully their continued rollout and replacement of existing equipment makes for an easier, adapter free experience.
I need that Paso Robles one to open up... I thought they would do it since they had some downtime at that supercharger.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I need that Paso Robles one to open up... I thought they would do it since they had some downtime at that supercharger.
Atascadero EA is pretty chill, unlike the Paso EA…

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Has someone tried that one? I think that part of the 'incompatibility' is physical: Tesla put in curbstops so that you couldn't crash your Tesla into the dispensers, but those prevent many EVs from getting close enough to charge (*cough* F150 Lightning I'm looking at you). So for some stations they have to show up and install new bollards, remove old blocks, and such to make it truly 'compatible'.
Don’t think that’s true.

Sponsored

Jason Cockroft

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 VW Touareg
Occupation
SW Engineer
Not all V3 stations have been made software compatible yet. Tesla is slowly updating them, for example I have seen two recent V3 sites in Phoenix that had been listed as incompatible, just updated to be compatible in the last two weeks. In fact, one (Goodyear AZ) of those two is still not listed in the Rivian app as compatible, but in the Tesla app it is.

Edit: the Goodyear Tesla chargers just toggled today as available in the Rivian app.
This is good to know. So what you are saying is that existing incompatible V3 chargers (for instance in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada) should have an update in the future that will make them compatible.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is good to know. So what you are saying is that existing incompatible V3 chargers (for instance in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada) should have an update in the future that will make them compatible.
Possibly. Tesla also said they might not open all V3 superchargers and keep some Tesla only. Hopefully they get enough pressure to open them all up.

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

That’s a really good question. I was looking at the map of the CO Front Range in my R1T and the supercharger in Boulder, near the intersection of 28th and Pearl, was listed as not compatible. I wandered east to the supercharger near Thornton, looked back at Boulder and the same Boulder supercharger then was shown as compatible and adapter required.

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
Possibly. Tesla also said they might not open all V3 superchargers and keep some Tesla only. Hopefully they get enough pressure to open them all up.
It's really not in their best intetest to make it easier for non Teslas to charge as they don't want to lose vehicle customers to bad charging experiences. I think they are mainly opening up enough so will get Fed govt funding and utilize under utilized chargers. It would be nice if they just cordoned off a % of chargers for Tesla only at any given site so still have a wider availability of locations for the rest of us.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It's really not in their best intetest to make it easier for non Teslas to charge as they don't want to lose vehicle customers to bad charging experiences. I think they are mainly opening up enough so will get Fed govt funding and utilize under utilized chargers. It would be nice if they just cordoned off a % of chargers for Tesla only at any given site so still have a wider availability of locations for the rest of us.
Then they shouldn't make it open to the public if they don't want to make it easy to charge for other EVs.

Sponsored

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

One more thing that determines compatibility for V3 chargers is if the site has been upgraded with internet access. With Tesla only charging there they did not need internet as the car did all the communication. But adding the CCS protocol also means adding internet to the site for authorizations and payment. So while some V3 may not open up to all, the ones that will and the ones that we see switching over are probably the ones that already have been upgraded with internet and they are rolling out updates to.

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
Then they shouldn't make it open to the public if they don't want to make it easy to charge for other EVs.
Elon isn't doing this out the goodness of his heart, it's so he can get a bunch of the $7.5 billion the Feds are dolling out for new EV infrastructure and I read will be generating 6-12 billion in charging rev by 2030. Heck at .55 kwh they are becoming a monopoly.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Elon isn't doing this out the goodness of his heart, it's so he can get a bunch of the $7.5 billion the Feds are dolling out for new EV infrastructure and I read will be generating 6-12 billion in charging rev by 2030. Heck at .55 kwh they are becoming a monopoly.
I'm not saying he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart, neither is EA, EVGo, Chargepoint, etc. They are trying to run a business. And a business should make it easy for all customers. Before this year Tesla's only charging customers were Tesla owners. Now it will be most of the EVs in the US/Canada so he should be making it easier for them to charge, otherwise people will use other networks. At a certain point in time the Fed funding will be done and the supercharger network will have to make money on its own.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Noticed another interesting thing on the Tesla map today. Some of the future sites are flagged as "Superchargers" while others are flagged as "Superchargers open to NACS".

For example, look in western NC, have the Supercharger open to NACS filter on (showing those sites) and toggle the Supercharger filter. You'll see Sylva listed the whole time but Cherokee will toggle on and off.

I really hope they get the Pigeon Forge one open to NACS at some point. Rivian has a great charger in Whittier/Cherokee, but I would like a good charger on the TN side of GSMNP. Very glad at least one of the Superchargers in Asheville is going to be open to us. Rivian has both Gatlinburg and Asheville on their original map but still neither "coming soon."
Sponsored