Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Nothing that has been revealed to date.
Same. The only other BEV I'd consider would be the F-150 and that would depend on the specs.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Same. The only other BEV I'd consider would be the F-150 and that would depend on the specs.
And whether they can get batteries if SK bails on completing their US factories since they can only use them for a couple of years if they do build them.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

And whether they can get batteries if SK bails on completing their US factories since they can only use them for a couple of years if they do build them.
Well, there is that too.

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

There has been talk about bringing back federal tax credits for manufacturers that make over 200k cars, as well as other credits, which would also be good for Rivian. So companies like Tesla, GM, and Nissan will be back in play. Would you consider cars from those companies if the credits came back?
Possible Tesla but it's not the off-road performer I'm looking for. No enticing vehicles from GM and Nissan.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I'll never buy a tesla again at any price, and I am not a fan of GM's who package, they do not produce EVs that seem interesting to me.

The only way I would back out of my R1S is if Toyota/Lexus release a 7 seater EV that is under 202 inches in length, and has Solid State Battery; that seems to be 5 years down the road, so I am glad to be getting an R1S.

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'll never buy a tesla again at any price, and I am not a fan of GM's who package, they do not produce EVs that seem interesting to me.

The only way I would back out of my R1S is if Toyota/Lexus release a 7 seater EV that is under 202 inches in length, and has Solid State Battery; that seems to be 5 years down the road, so I am glad to be getting an R1S.
Why never buy tesla again?

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
I too was wary of Tesla. I waited until theyā€™d figured out the Model 3ā€™s manufacturing and other flaws. My 2020, however, has been one of the best cars Iā€™ve owned. But, regardless, there isnā€™t another Tesla model that can meet my needs. Rivian has figured that out with the R1S.
(So, hopefully, by the end of this year weā€™ll be all electric family with an R1S and a M3ā€“ should be an interesting long-term comparison test!)

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
COMPLETELY disagree. People making over $400K should pay way higher percentage tax rates and Corporate taxes should be raised.
I donā€™t think you saw the original statement. I was commenting back on someone who said, last Oct, that they disagreed with the Biden Economic plan. I said and yes the Virus ending is just around the corner etc etc. I then said , I also think.....

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I dread Tesla service and reliability. Takes weeks to get appointments. Repairs take days or weeks. Parts are hard to come by. Minimal communication. Never know when car will be ready. They donā€™t always have a way to make sure your car is fixed. I always have a backup rental reserved for the weekend. I love the car but canā€™t bring myself to buy another one due to the service center. Before road trips I always stop at a local Supercharger and CHADEMO station to make sure the charger still works. Door handles are $1k. 3 of 4 broke. It is easier to buy the rebuild kits online than take it in to Tesla.

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I dread Tesla service and reliability. Takes weeks to get appointments. Repairs take days or weeks. Parts are hard to come by. Minimal communication. Never know when car will be ready. They donā€™t always have a way to make sure your car is fixed. I always have a backup rental reserved for the weekend. I love the car but canā€™t bring myself to buy another one due to the service center. Before road trips I always stop at a local Supercharger and CHADEMO station to make sure the charger still works. Door handles are $1k. 3 of 4 broke. It is easier to buy the rebuild kits online than take it in to Tesla.
From reading the Tesla forums Iā€™ve found location makes a huge difference for service. Iā€™ve needed 3 minor things done to my Model 3 after delivery and all were simple.

1. Rocker panels damaged during delivery. Fixed a few weeks later and was given a model x loaner for the day.
2. Tires rotated in my driveway for $35, took a week for an open appointment.
3. Charge pin plastic cover ring broke. Car still charged. Took a week for an open appointment. I could have brought it in sooner but it was nice for them to fix it at my house.

I hope Rivian offers mobile service like Tesla, itā€™s so convenient.

Earlier S and X buyers also seem to have more issues with their cars.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Where do I start.
1- The car would open its trunk by itself, I took it for repairs, and they told me to uninstall the app and keep my FOB as far as possible. I went shopping after work, the trunk opened while I was in the store, and my laptop was stolen. I troubleshooted the car myself and found out the physical button was faulty, so I made them replace it and it worked like a charm.

2- The frunk would not open. That took few appointments to get it fixed.

3- Passenger window would not close, it took 6 months to get the part, so I had to drive with a plastic bag taped.

4-After waiting a month for an appointment my I sent it for a repair for a noise in the rear axle area, it was repaired. A day later the noise returned, I was told to schedule another appointment because that is a powertrain issue, which was also about a month later, during that time the a power train component failed causing one wheel to fully lock while driving at 45mph, the car was totaled ( I had 3 kids with me ). I contacted Tesla and they kept going back and forth telling me they person is on vacation or some other lame excuse.

That was my first Tesla, S60, I got my second one (S90D) after back and forth with Tesla and the insurance, and since then it has been a problem after another. I had the rear facing seats, and my battery decided to kill itself in below 32 weather, I called Tesla, and they said they will give me a rental, but I have to figure out how to get my kids home because their warranty does not cover rear facing seats accommodations. This might seem to much for me to ask, but Volvo does actually provide that service on their cars with built in seats.

In short, if I buy a car, I would rather not to have issues all the time, wait months to fix, get it fix incorrectly, and send it again. The quality is terrible and the service is worse. My cousin had the same experience as well.

The issue is that one of my parking space in the garage is smaller than the other, and I need to fit 6 people in the car, and tesla was the only car to meet the requirements, as most smaller 3 row SUV's do not have tethers for car seats in the 3rd row. Until the R1S showed up :) and my kids are older now so I do not need tethers, but I do not want a gas car either.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have a reservation for an R1T and a Hummer, but never counted on the tax credit for the latter. I am definitely going to get a Hummer, so having the extra 7K off would be fine, we already pay way more than our fair share of taxes. So my wife and I have now decided we will likely switch from R1T fully loaded to R1S Explorer, then we can apply that tax credit to the Hummer, to come about a year later.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Where do I start.
1- The car would open its trunk by itself, I took it for repairs, and they told me to uninstall the app and keep my FOB as far as possible. I went shopping after work, the trunk opened while I was in the store, and my laptop was stolen. I troubleshooted the car myself and found out the physical button was faulty, so I made them replace it and it worked like a charm.

2- The frunk would not open. That took few appointments to get it fixed.

3- Passenger window would not close, it took 6 months to get the part, so I had to drive with a plastic bag taped.

4-After waiting a month for an appointment my I sent it for a repair for a noise in the rear axle area, it was repaired. A day later the noise returned, I was told to schedule another appointment because that is a powertrain issue, which was also about a month later, during that time the a power train component failed causing one wheel to fully lock while driving at 45mph, the car was totaled ( I had 3 kids with me ). I contacted Tesla and they kept going back and forth telling me they person is on vacation or some other lame excuse.

That was my first Tesla, S60, I got my second one (S90D) after back and forth with Tesla and the insurance, and since then it has been a problem after another. I had the rear facing seats, and my battery decided to kill itself in below 32 weather, I called Tesla, and they said they will give me a rental, but I have to figure out how to get my kids home because their warranty does not cover rear facing seats accommodations. This might seem to much for me to ask, but Volvo does actually provide that service on their cars with built in seats.

In short, if I buy a car, I would rather not to have issues all the time, wait months to fix, get it fix incorrectly, and send it again. The quality is terrible and the service is worse. My cousin had the same experience as well.

The issue is that one of my parking space in the garage is smaller than the other, and I need to fit 6 people in the car, and tesla was the only car to meet the requirements, as most smaller 3 row SUV's do not have tethers for car seats in the 3rd row. Until the R1S showed up :) and my kids are older now so I do not need tethers, but I do not want a gas car either.
My experience has been better than yours, but bad enough to only own one Tesla at a time. Friendsā€™ Teslas are somewhere between your experience and mine. Our Volvo XC90 is 120,000 miles and 13 years of near perfection. It is so reliable, I am afraid to replace it. Service is always done the same day and appoints are always available the same week. Repair prices are a lot less.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Tesla seems to take forever to fix stuff. Theyā€™ve been good, though, about giving me loaners any time I needed to leave the car, so itā€™s actually been kinda fun to drive different models every now and then. The last time I had to leave it for some work, they apologized profusely about not having a Tesla loaner available, and then handed me the keys to a Maserati!

All of that was when the car was still under warrantee. Iā€™ve not had anything done since it went out of warrantee, but Iā€™m sure my experience might change a bit now.
Sponsored