Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Haven't had issues with my Rivian's glass yet. Cracked my Hummer's windshield within half the mileage I have on the Rivian.
Sponsored

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
Wow a scotch brite pad leaving that sort of scratch pattern on a windshield isn’t great. I wonder if a ceramic coating on the glass would help or that ceramic tint
I am taking to ceramic bro licensed detailer , he said he can fix it and coat it . will see Tuesday

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

For $80k I don’t think you should have to sacrifice good windshields for those features. In fact, it needs better glass of it’s going to be sold as an off-road adventure vehicle, given that it should see a lot of gravel and dirt.
If you are going off road, you need to acknowledge your truck will be more apt to break and need repairs, especially with glass, especially if you are following too closely. I read an article (I think from Motortrend) where they did race on gravel, between the R1T and TRX, and the gravel spray from the R1T, which was quicker, broke the TRX windshield. Jeeps are marketed as off road/adventure vehicles, and their windshields break all the time. But a Wranglers windshield is also more verticle.

I am more concerned about the everyday on road, and scratching issues, people are complaining about.

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I presume it’s not recommended to put PPF on the windshield?
The manual says to use only Rivian-approved PPF. I assume it’s to avoid interfering in the safety systems housed in the windshield cluster thing

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
So, maybe I've just had an atrocious run of luck, but since taking delivery in March, I've had more rocks hit my windshield than any other car I've owned

And that wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that the R1T's windshield seems to be fragile beyond belief. Every single little pebble has left a mark. Just this morning I took a rock to the portion of the glass that sits over the A-Pillar, and it immediately splintered outwards a good 5-6 inches.

Again, maybe I just have bad luck. But I remember in my XC60, it got hit a bunch of times, and those rock impacts never even left a scratch on the glass. In the Rivian? It seems like the rocks can't NOT do damage. Is Rivian just using the cheapest glass they could find, or does the universe just hate me?

(That's a semi-rhetorical question)
Is the Rivian windshield a steeper angle than the Volvo? I once had an FJ and that window would crack all the time for the smallest thing.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Its not the $$$ that are the problem. It’s the weight. Sure you could make thicker glass. Sure you could make thicker body panels. But at the sacrifice of what? Thinner under armor? Thinner bed floor? Or do you start compromising on the range? Or the acceleration? Maybe the window company is shady, I haven’t looked into it. But you can’t have everything. There are always compromises. I’m not coming for Rivian here, I’m just making a statement that there are always compromises. To act like there shouldn’t be any because the truck costs $80k is not a valid argument. There are compromises on $100 vehicles.
It's a 7600 pound vehicle. You could double (hell triple or quadruple) the weight of the windshield and it'd have ZERO noticeable effect on range. Just go toss 600lbs in the bed of your truck and see how much you notice it.

Certainly there are always tradeoffs but the windshield weight affecting range and acceleration is not one of them.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Jeep offers a Gorilla Glass option on the Wrangler. Maybe Rivian could entertain the same option since it’s also designed to go off-road.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Jeep offers a Gorilla Glass option on the Wrangler. Maybe Rivian could entertain the same option since it’s also designed to go off-road.
On Jeep forums a lot of people don't think the Gorilla Glass does much if anything. But a Wranglers windshield is a lot more vertical also, so it is destined for more abuse.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Yes, I frequent Wrangler forums on occasion. Most buyers aren’t happy with crack resistance over the standard windshield.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
…Or even a really, really big ball bearing. 🥵
1659908212856.png
This “accident” turned out to be a great marketing stunt since every media outlet on earth reported on this mishap.

A lot of people thought this was planned as Tesla just happened to have spare door glass laying for a concept vehicle. The glass was quickly replaced and test drives ensued that evening.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I think its time to bring windshield protection films into the discussion.

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I think its time to bring windshield protection films into the discussion.

I’ve been looking at these! Anyone have any experience with them? Cause at this point that seems like the most useful route

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I’ve been looking at these! Anyone have any experience with them? Cause at this point that seems like the most useful route
The test in the video was pretty convincing. If you are in an area prone to rock chips, it might be a worthwhile investment.

Another approach, which is much less expensive and you can DIY, is glass hardening treatments like this one:
Sponsored