First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
For anyone deeply invested in my windshield woes, the main service center called me. I was told that the part is supposed to be in this week, but soonest I can get in to the Bellevue Service Center to actually have it replaced is September 6th.

The woman on the phone was very apologetic, and added a note to the work order that if there are any earlier openings, I’ll take it. But as it stands, I have a truck I can’t/shouldn’t be driving, and it won’t be getting fixed for a month.

Not gonna paint the entirety of the Rivian Service Department with a broad brush, but……yeah. I’m sure you can infer my opinion
Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For anyone deeply invested in my windshield woes, the main service center called me. I was told that the part is supposed to be in this week, but soonest I can get in to the Bellevue Service Center to actually have it replaced is September 6th.

The woman on the phone was very apologetic, and added a note to the work order that if there are any earlier openings, I’ll take it. But as it stands, I have a truck I can’t/shouldn’t be driving, and it won’t be getting fixed for a month.

Not gonna paint the entirety of the Rivian Service Department with a broad brush, but……yeah. I’m sure you can infer my opinion
Enjoy the adventure!

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
I’ve seen two real R1T owned by Rivian employees. One was actually used like a work/play truck, and it had a cracked windshield. The other has probably never ventured off pavement and did not have a window crack/chip.

Never thought about it, until this thread.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
The windshields are made by fuyao america. To learn more about this company and it’s practices, check out the documentary “American Factory”
I just watched this documentary on Netflix. Holy shit!

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I don't see it mentioned here so I will bring it up the front windshield on this truck and most of the new vehicles is acoustic glass two thin layers glued together to make the sound better in the cab. This is why they seem weaker than the windshields you are used to but the Hummer, new F150 and most new trucks are starting to go this route because it makes the cab so much quieter. This is also one of the reasons the glass is so expensive.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don't see it mentioned here so I will bring it up the front windshield on this truck and most of the new vehicles is acoustic glass two thin layers glued together to make the sound better in the cab. This is why they seem weaker than the windshields you are used to but the Hummer, new F150 and most new trucks are starting to go this route because it makes the cab so much quieter. This is also one of the reasons the glass is so expensive.
Laminated safety glass has been required for windshields since about 1937.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Laminated safety glass has been required for windshields since about 1937.
Right, but it appears acoustic glass is laminated safety glass 'on steroids' and is overall thinner.

"What is an Acoustic Windshield? An Acoustic Windshield is a windshield with added layers of soundproofing insulation. In between the two layers of glass, there are two layers of Standard PVB and one layer of acoustic PVB in between the Standard PVB making the cabin of the vehicle quieter.
Acoustic vinyl also allows vehicle designers to reduce the thickness of the windshield without adversely affecting noise levels. This is especially significant as automotive engineers try to cut weight off vehicles to make them more fuel efficient. Acoustic vinyl windshields meet all of the same federal safety specs as regular vinyl windshields."

Rivian R1T R1S Weak Windshields? 1659963933875

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Acoustic glass is stronger than regular, afaik. Anecdotal reports from owners of vehicles that offer acoustic side window packages indicate the windows are harder to smash.

Even on that R1T break-in video that's been posted, the thieves had difficulty getting into the front, but could smash the back.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
How much does a new windshield cost?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How much does a new windshield cost?
JerryRigEverything said he was quoted $1,600, which honestly was a little less than I expected.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
JerryRigEverything said he was quoted $1,600, which honestly was a little less than I expected.
Seems well worth glueing the small impacts if the repair is not bothersome to the driver.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I just watched this documentary on Netflix. Holy shit!
Wild, eh?

further recommended viewing: Edward Burtynsky’s “Manufactured Landscapes”

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
So I guess mini-update, the crack has spread upwards about an inch and a half from just sitting in the garage

Spoke to a new service person, and he said he would actually contact the Bellevue Service Center and get some answers, rather than just attaching a note to the report like the last gal did. Fingers crossed 🤞
Rivian R1T R1S Weak Windshields? 7A7942DF-7C40-40CC-A8B0-570C7FF9331E

oybed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, LG, LE, BM, 20" AT
Seems right. I am having mine replaced at the Denver service center this week, and total cost is just shy of $1769

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Seems right. I am having mine replaced at the Denver service center this week, and total cost is just shy of $1769
Ouch. Still a pretty penny though. Is insurance/warranty covering some/all of it?
Sponsored