Sponsored

Those that had their windshields replaced, share your experience with insurance process, please (+ video of my accident)

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

Had a pebble almost through my windshield today when an 18-wheeler in the opposite lane went off left lane onto gravel shoulder. This was shortly after 5, I called Rivian right away to schedule an appointment but instead they sent me two local certified collision centers. I then called Geico and after like an hour on the phone with them they could not determine whether Safelite would be able to do replacement (I kept telling them no, they won't but obviously they wouldn't listen). They finally advised me to call back the next day.
Additionally, they mentioned that if I opted for a dealer repair, there would be a capped reimbursement amount, but they did not specify the limit.

Just wanted to hear your experiences dealing with windshield replacements

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It sucks that people can't drive. Hopefully you get made whole quick.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
That sucks! I remember reading that the windshield costs approx $1,700 to replace. I recently just filled a chip on mine. I know it’s gonna happen again so I didn’t think it was worth changing out just yet.

kennyrosen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335,Boxster S, Mercedes A220, Mercedes 320CLK
Occupation
CPA
I had mine replaced. I wasnt sure if Safeco could do ot properly so i had it done at my Rivian sevice center. Cost was $1,875. Im in Florida and because of state law my insurance can't charge a deductible. I got Progressive to pay the entire amount. IT ttook me a few calls to educate the representative about zero deductible even though it was on their website.

OP
OP
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

So far I opened claim with Geico, they confirmed that Safelite cannot replace it and I have to go through dealer/shop, pay for replacement and then get reimbursed.
Rivian sent me two local shops, I selected Ultimate Collision Repair in Edison. They looked at the car today, took some pics and had me leave $500 "deposit" to get on waiting list. No, it's not my deductible, it's a deposit.
They should call sometime next week to book appointment.

For now I used some clear Flex Seal (yes that one from ads) to seal the impact area from water. It's been raining all day and I left a piece of paper under the area on the inside and it's bone dry.

Rivian R1T R1S Those that had their windshields replaced, share your experience with insurance process, please (+ video of my accident) 1697842784718

Rivian R1T R1S Those that had their windshields replaced, share your experience with insurance process, please (+ video of my accident) 1697842796689

Sponsored

DrewMc

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Noticed the other day that I have a very small * chip in the windshield. Will probably just get it filled for now. It appears to be small and not spreading (yet).

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Noticed the other day that I have a very small * chip in the windshield. Will probably just get it filled for now. It appears to be small and not spreading (yet).
Get that filled quickly. I just got my first big crack yesterday, and I think it was from a tiny chip I didn't even know was there :(
Sponsored