Sponsored

Water under dash, around rearview mirror

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Clogged drains shouldn't overflow into the cabin like that.
While it shouldn’t happen, it wouldn’t be unheard of. I’m a member of a GX 460 forum and clogged drains can lead to water in the footwells and third row seat areas of the GX. The GX has four sunroof drains I believe and if a rear one clogs you can get water all the way back in the third row seat, despite the distance.
Sponsored

RivFan23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer Sport
I guess glue/seals for windshield would be preferable to those for the roof.
Not the same car I realize...but I had a similar issue with my Ford Explorer. Turned out to be the sunroof seal at the back end...so when parked on an incline it would cause water to leak into my car.

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
While it shouldn’t happen, it wouldn’t be unheard of. I’m a member of a GX 460 forum and clogged drains can lead to water in the footwells and third row seat areas of the GX. The GX has four sunroof drains I believe and if a rear one clogs you can get water all the way back in the third row seat, despite the distance.
I had same issue with my '17 Taco. Sunroof drains clogging would have sunroof well overflow into cabin. Easy fix and never did much harm.

Since R1 doesn't have a sunroof, is anyone aware of drains on the roof, potentially at the crossbar mounts or glass roof edge?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The more I read about issues the more I am reconsidering my decision to reserve an R1T. Drive motor failures, interior water leaks, various electrical issues, vampire drain, etc.

The big question is do I really want to be a first adopter on a brand new $80k vehicle from a brand new manufacturer.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
The big question is do I really want to be a first adopter on a brand new $80k vehicle from a brand new manufacturer.
Yep, that’s definitely a question preorder holders should be asking themselves. Things are getting real.

My answer is still yes, but that could change as we learn more.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Whenever we have a leak that we can identify the source, we put TP around in various places - that usually identifies it pretty quickly given its high absorbency. Might help identify the specific location of entry.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The more I read about issues the more I am reconsidering my decision to reserve an R1T. Drive motor failures, interior water leaks, various electrical issues, vampire drain, etc.

There are people who have had 0 issues, and then things like this. It could happen to any car. I expect the F150 Lightning and Hummer EV to have a couple lemons too. Waiting a year or two will decrease the chances of that though. I just want an EV truck, and am willing to risk it.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
There are people who have had 0 issues, and then things like this. It could happen to any car. I expect the F150 Lightning and Hummer EV to have a couple lemons too. Waiting a year or two will decrease the chances of that though. I just want an EV truck, and am willing to risk it.
Yup, most of us don't have any issues. My truck is absolutely perfect. Got it on 3/24. Love it.

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

My Tacoma had a leak into the back seat from bed light manufacturing issue. It triggered a recall. As a ‘17 It was the second year of the… 4th(?) generation of a vehicle from a decades old and massive car company.

We’ve received a recall notice on our ‘18 Audi Q5 for a seam that may allow water to get at a gateway control module.

I won’t go into trials and tribulations with our house from 4 days that brought 9.5” of rain. Water is not our friend right now but we’ll make up.

While I’m not happy with Rivian’s lack of responsiveness at the moment, we’re still smitten with everything else about the vehicle.

Hang in there. It will be worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Whenever we have a leak that we can identify the source, we put TP around in various places - that usually identifies it pretty quickly given its high absorbency. Might help identify the specific location of entry.
Ooo. This is pro tip. I may TP my own truck today.🤣 Thank you!

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Rivian R1T R1S Water under dash, around rearview mirror 1653653777966

"I need TP for my R1T"

Surprised Sgt Beavis didn't beat me to it.

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

Sorry for this stupid ?... what is 'TP'? :surprised:

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs