Water under dash, around rearview mirror

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
We had some pretty heavy rains this week and I didn't notice any water intrusion when driving yesterday. Had a light rain last night and came out this morning to tray in front of center console with water in it and some on driver and passenger floor too. My wife then noticed water originating from around rearview mirror. The truck was parked somewhat different than our usual, on a slight downhill incline to get to charger while other car parked in ideal charging spot. Wondering if that could be related. We've also had tons of tree detritus clogging up all kinds of things so wondering if there are roof drains that might be clogged causing this.

I've got a service ticket open. Will keep everyone posted. Hoping it's not an actual roof leak.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Unfortunately, pic we hurriedly got of rearview mirror doesn't show the water so didn't include it.

Rivian R1T R1S Water under dash, around rearview mirror 1653485962925

Rivian R1T R1S Water under dash, around rearview mirror 1653486002744
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Clogged drains shouldn't overflow into the cabin like that.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Holy carp 🐟 that's a lot of water. Did you grope around under the dash looking for more moisture? To me that looks like intrusion from more than just the roof, like maybe the firewall (do we still call it that ?)...

...and yeah, a funny angle and an excess of clogging gook certainly could have contributed...

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I hope the water is only on interior surfaces and didn't get to any wiring.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I'm going to guess that there is a hole/gap in the glue that seals/holds the windshield.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
We had some pretty heavy rains this week and I didn't notice any water intrusion when driving yesterday. Had a light rain last night and came out this morning to tray in front of center console with water in it and some on driver and passenger floor too. My wife then noticed water originating from around rearview mirror. The truck was parked somewhat different than our usual, on a slight downhill incline to get to charger while other car parked in ideal charging spot. Wondering if that could be related. We've also had tons of tree detritus clogging up all kinds of things so wondering if there are roof drains that might be clogged causing this.

I've got a service ticket open. Will keep everyone posted. Hoping it's not an actual roof leak.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Unfortunately, pic we hurriedly got of rearview mirror doesn't show the water so didn't include it.
any update?

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
any update?
I've heard nothing back from Rivian. Disappointing after person that took ticket said "escalating" and "as soon as later today" yesterday.

I had it in car port in last night's rain and no water showing today. I want to test with a hose or out in rain but that implies potentially getting water where it shouldn't go again. While water at the mirror would be a mystery, wondering if it could be condensate related. i was charging from wall charger night before we noticed this and I do hear fans running sometimes and wonder if there is some active cooling that could be taking place.

At any rate, would be great to get a call back with advice on how to proceed, test, etc.

If I hear anything or they tell me anything when I call to see what's up, I'll post here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm going to guess that there is a hole/gap in the glue that seals/holds the windshield.
I guess glue/seals for windshield would be preferable to those for the roof.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Looking at the amount and the fact that it was around the rear view mirror I would hazard a guess its coming from a bad seal on the fixed glass roof, water likely built up during the heavy rain, then the inclined parking gave it an avenue to drain from that evening

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Windshield or roof glass is my bet.

I have an old Land Rover, so am a world expert on leaks

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning