Sponsored

VW will reveal ID.Buzz - March 9th

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Rear drum brakes lol. What is this 1990.
yeah I was surprised by that too. And that the ID4 has rear drums. I would think these days that disk breaks would be cheaper than drums since very few cars use drum brakes now.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

https://electrek.co/2022/01/27/leaked-peek-inside-the-new-vw-id-buzz-before-youre-supposed-to/
These interior shots indicate that (at least the one in these pictures) this is the short wheelbase version. It doesn't look that much bigger than the ID 4 in this configuration, so I'd expect the longer wheelbase to be quite a bit more spacious inside.
I understand this is a prototype, but is it not getting the tracks to move seating around?
They showed it originally and it is already in the T7 Multivan so not sure why it would not be on this even as a proto??

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I understand this is a prototype, but is it not getting the tracks to move seating around?
They showed it originally and it is already in the T7 Multivan so not sure why it would not be on this even as a proto??
Not sure about tracks to move seats around in the original concept, although it did have rotating seats and a center console on a track that could become a small table.

Because this version has a bench directly behind the front seats, there is no way to accomplish the swivel feature and the console on a track is pointless without the swivel. That said, if those will be carried over to production I would assume you'll only see that in the longer wheelbase passenger config, which those pictures are obviously not.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
yeah I was surprised by that too. And that the ID4 has rear drums. I would think these days that disk breaks would be cheaper than drums since very few cars use drum brakes now.
The way they feather regen + braking is really elegant, and in my experience so far in our ID.4 not noticeable. Handled wonderfully with my inexperienced driver in ice/snow we had in NC which is pretty nasty for a few days.

Drums are still pretty cheap, lot less parts.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Not sure about tracks to move seats around in the original concept, although it did have rotating seats and a center console on a track that could become a small table.

Because this version has a bench directly behind the front seats, there is no way to accomplish the swivel feature and the console on a track is pointless without the swivel. That said, if those will be carried over to production I would assume you'll only see that in the longer wheelbase passenger config, which those pictures are obviously not.
From what I've read they have mutliple vans with completely different interior configurations, this could be the 'low trim' version, time will tell.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Not really interested in their version of the "camp kitchen" but I do not like what I saw in the hyperlinked article regarding the anticipated price! VW's messaging has stuck to the $40-50k range, so I really hope the report of it starting at 60,000 Euros is not true (or only specific to Euro spec versions) since the entry level Euro version will be smaller and have a smaller battery than the US version. Definitely not sure I'm ready to drop $75k plus on this thing, especially if I'm already looking at $75-80k for the Rivian.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Not really interested in their version of the "camp kitchen" but I do not like what I saw in the hyperlinked article regarding the anticipated price! VW's messaging has stuck to the $40-50k range, so I really hope the report of it starting at 60,000 Euros is not true (or only specific to Euro spec versions) since the entry level Euro version will be smaller and have a smaller battery than the US version. Definitely not sure I'm ready to drop $75k plus on this thing, especially if I'm already looking at $75-80k for the Rivian.
Yea I was really hoping they would be in the $50k-$55k range pre incentives.
Hopefully know all we need to make a decision in a few weeks!

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Yea I was really hoping they would be in the $50k-$55k range pre incentives.
Hopefully know all we need to make a decision in a few weeks!
Your hopes weren't misplaced because I had seen $50k referenced repeatedly for it. No way they can sell that number as legit even with incentives if it starts at €60k in Europe unless they are saying it'll be made in Tennessee from day 1.

I'm definitely going to be ready to hit the preorder as soon as they open, but if it's looking like $60k + after incentives I doubt I'll follow through

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Journalist test drive videos are starting to show up.
Rivian is looking like a steal of a deal.
single motor
0-60 in 9.7 seconds
250 mile range
2000 lb towing
$60,000+++

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Journalist test drive videos are starting to show up.
Rivian is looking like a steal of a deal.
single motor
0-60 in 9.7 seconds
250 mile range
2000 lb towing
$60,000+++

That spec won't be available in the US. Everything I've seen indicates that only the longer wheelbase dual motor version will be available in the US. Expected pricing has been sort of all over the place though.
Sponsored