Sponsored

VW will reveal ID.Buzz - March 9th

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Funny you mention that. My wife grew up in the very hippy Josephine County in Southern Oregon and the ID.Buzz is looking to be a better fit for her than the R1S. There is a good chance I will be cancelling my R1S pre-order and switching to the ID.Buzz.
The Buzz will almost certainly be my wife's next car and the primary "family car," so that leaves the question of whether my car will be the T, the S, or something else.
Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Please let there be a 300+ mile range and version with a pop top. I have a left nut I'd give for that.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Please let there be a 300+ mile range and version with a pop top. I have a left but I'd give for that.
Not sure if the rumored California version will have the pop up tent option but it does sound like the US version will be targeting 300+ range based on the size of the battery pack if you extrapolate efficiency data from the id4.

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

The Buzz will almost certainly be my wife's next car and the primary "family car," so that leaves the question of whether my car will be the T, the S, or something else.
Yeah, I'm definitely sticking with the R1T for myself and really hoping I hear something soon on my March-April delivery window. It's been crickets from my guide for a while now.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Funny you mention that. My wife grew up in the very hippy Josephine County in Southern Oregon and the ID.Buzz is looking to be a better fit for her than the R1S. There is a good chance I will be cancelling my R1S pre-order and switching to the ID.Buzz.
Very interesting....

My wife is born and raised in SoCal and loved the prototype of ID.Buzz. Reminded her of 60's microbus so much so that she wanted that retro look.

Fast-forward to late 2021 early 2022, with all the production proto images, she is so disappointed that its just another min-van, her comment was that "well, they f#ck that up!" and confirmed that she is no longer interested.

Personally, I think VW missed the original vibe ID.Buzz created over the last couple of years too...

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not feeling to good about a front end collision.
Why? Driver is well behind front wheels. Still lots of crumple zone despite not having an engine and long hood up front.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Why? Driver is well behind front wheels. Still lots of crumple zone despite not having an engine and long hood up front.
and there is no engine to be pushed back into your lap in a collision. All of that space can be used for crumple/energy dissipation.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I do wonder if that's the short wheelbase version.
Are there going to be multiple wheelbase options?
A quick google puts the buzz at 195".

Anxiously waiting for their announcement as it will either replace my R1S preorder or replace my Leaf.
The R1S is definitely badass but I just need something to comfortably fit my family, not climb Mt Kilimanjaro with.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Are there going to be multiple wheelbase options?
A quick google puts the buzz at 195".

Anxiously waiting for their announcement as it will either replace my R1S preorder or replace my Leaf.
The R1S is definitely badass but I just need something to comfortably fit my family, not climb Mt Kilimanjaro with.
From what I've read, there are two wheelbase options, but only the longer option will be available in the US. Europe will get two wheelbase options, passenger and cargo van variants and 2 battery sizes. My understanding is that the cargo van will only be available in the short wheelbase but the passenger van will be available in short or long wheelbase in Europe.

It looks like VW will have two vans at the Barcelona event that is coming up, I am hopeful that it means they will be showing both wheelbases and configurations.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

From what I've read, there are two wheelbase options, but only the longer option will be available in the US. Europe will get two wheelbase options, passenger and cargo van variants and 2 battery sizes. My understanding is that the cargo van will only be available in the short wheelbase but the passenger van will be available in short or long wheelbase in Europe.

It looks like VW will have two vans at the Barcelona event that is coming up, I am hopeful that it means they will be showing both wheelbases and configurations.
Nice. I'm going to assume the shorter wheelbase is figured in that 195" length that I read?
Any idea on the length of the longer option?

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Nice. I'm going to assume the shorter wheelbase is figured in that 195" length that I read?
Any idea on the length of the longer option?
I'm not sure honestly, although 195" would be pretty big considering the design. The R1S is a little over 200" long and that includes a long hood to maintain the traditional SUV lines. That hood is likely several feet long from bumper to windshield and at least one foot (if not more) longer than the Buzz is from bumper to windshield. The Buzz just takes much more advantage of that 195" by concentrating 90-95% of the usable space between the axles.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm not sure honestly, although 195" would be pretty big considering the design. The R1S is a little over 200" long and that includes a long hood to maintain the traditional SUV lines. That hood is likely several feet long from bumper to windshield and at least one foot (if not more) longer than the Buzz is from bumper to windshield. The Buzz just takes much more advantage of that 195" by concentrating 90-95% of the usable space between the axles.
Great point thank you.
I guess it's only 10" shorter than the Toyota Hiace vans we ran in Africa and those things had loads of space which I would expect no different in this case even with the shorter overall length.
If they get the range right and utilize the space well to fit car seats in, then that may be the vehicle sitting in our garage as soon as I can get it.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Great point thank you.
I guess it's only 10" shorter than the Toyota Hiace vans we ran in Africa and those things had loads of space which I would expect no different in this case even with the shorter overall length.
If they get the range right and utilize the space well to fit car seats in, then that may be the vehicle sitting in our garage as soon as I can get it.
If they stick with the rotating front and middle captains chairs with the bench in the back and have the ability to fold the seats flat (or easily remove them) I'll be very pleased. I also hope they retain the track for moving the center console but I have a suspicion that will get scrapped. I'm also hopeful that a panoramic roof will at least be available if not standard.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Great point thank you.
Oh Man ! You took me down memory lane with the Toyota Hiace.
The road trips and hauling this thing was used for in Sri Lanka, where I am originally from.
A true work horse of a minivan!
You can pack it to the brim with cargo and people and would haul a**!