I charge two on 150A service. :eek:

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Have been a 2 EV household since 2018, started with a single 14-50 with semi-permanent mobile charger.

Then did dual HPWC setup (shared 50 amp .circuit w load sharing gen 2 tesla hpwc). But if I had to do it again at another house, would just go back to the one 14-50 again and save the $$$.

Having two is nice and convenient, but we found we aren't charging every day so we don't really need two.

I have two (different) neighbors that charge on standard 120/15 and say they are happy with that for their 3/Y, but they do charge every day.

Proxy

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Occupation
Professional
3 on 100 amp service here. Gas stove, water heater and dryer. Note that my air conditioning compressor is on a 20 amp breaker as recommended by the manufacturer so lots of extra capacity most people don’t have.

Sponsored

OP
OP
240vPlug

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

This is so cool. We may add a 3rd EV at some point but will probably not an another charger just for that.

The original gen3 I installed myself. The 2nd one on the other side of the garage I had a pro install but it was reasonable.

Our main level HVAC, range, and Hwh are propane. We do have an electric dryer and our 2nd level has a heat pump w electric backup. We also have a 90amp sub panel in the basement.

We live in a more rural area so I have a fire suppression sprinkler pump and our well pump also. Then we have our sump pump plus a 2nd ejector pit with pump (septic).

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Just an FYI. Utilities do not always size the transformer feeding homes so that say 6 homes with 200 amp services could all charge their vehicles at the same time. Not really the homeowners issue though and transformers may have to be upgraded. Example my pole mounted transformer can out put 200 amps max continuous and currently feeds 8 large homes. So utilities have some work to do to catch up as they never figured homes would be pulling near full amperage’s for hours of EV charging plus all of the other electrical loads

OP
OP
240vPlug

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Just an FYI. Utilities do not always size the transformer feeding homes so that say 6 homes with 200 amp services could all charge their vehicles at the same time. Not really the homeowners issue though and transformers may have to be upgraded. Example my pole mounted transformer can out put 200 amps max continuous and currently feeds 8 large homes. So utilities have some work to do to catch up as they never figured homes would be pulling near full amperage’s for hours of EV charging plus all of the other electrical loads
That's an excellent point. This is why it's very important to have work permitted and inspected. One of the things the local county inspector will do when he passes an EV charger. Install is to notify the utility that an EV charger is installed at the address.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
1000% accurate!

Our neighborhood was "built" in 1963, each house had a 60 amp panel with four fuses, later replaced with 4 breakers, but still a 60amp panel. With that in mind, the mains and transformers on our street were sized for homes with a 60amp service. Today, hardly any of these homes have stayed original size and most now have central air, some have pools, quite a few now have EV's. No one has a 60amp panel any longer. Most have 200amp panels, but the wiring and transformers in the street has remained unchanged since I moved here in 1991.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

3 on 200A service here. Two 48A-load-shared 40A-individual units, plus one that either gets 120V/15A or 120V/30A.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Nice setup! I'm charging 2 EVs with 200A service. Have a dedicated 100A subpanel, splits to a 240V/40A circuit (for the model 3) and a 240V/60A circuit (for the R1S). We charge both vehicles between 12 am and 6 am when rates are lowest.

tragicmonkey049

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure; 2019 Toyo Prius
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I use the Grizzl-e Duo plugged into a 14-50 with a 40A breaker. The unit has a set of dip switches to configure the max amps. I set mine at 32A and it splits that power evenly across both EVs until one says "full" then gives all 32A to the remaining EV. Working great so far.

Only thing that would make it better: some onboard smarts that would feed a little more power to the EV that had the biggest delta between current state-of-charge and target "full" state, so they would both arrive at "full" at the same time, or if power were interrupted, then the emptier one got more power to get it closer to a useful range.

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

The 3rd Gen Tesla Wall Connectors won't pull more than 48A.
48+48=96A of full kW charging. It's okay to oversubscribe your main panel, as well.
Sponsored