Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

Understood. The problem with EVs is the misconception that it’s cheap to charge everywhere. It cost more to travel long distance because of fast charger rates and state electric rates vary so much. Plus my registration has an EV charge and a weight charge and VT will be enacting an annual mileage charge to collect the road tax fee. So I may move back to ICE. I have no problem paying road tax, but total operating cost are important.
Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
When you've seen one power company, you've seen ... ONE power company.

Glad to have public power -- more reliable and much better rates. You all with investor-owned power companies seem to be paying quite a bit -- in dollars and in capricious policies -- for the privilege!

State regulatory agencies can help some, but the agencies work for the governor to implement laws passed by the legislature. So the regulatory agencies can't do much when the power companies have more money (for lobbying and for campaign contributions) than the public does.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I’m fully on board with our demand charge. It’s logical and I believe in paying for what I use/need. We also have super cheap night rates, particularly in winter, to make up for it. Smart usage prevents paying too much. Our typical demand charge is just over $20 winter and $30 summer.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Your power company cares how fast you use power at your home? So if you have a light on, that electricity cost less than if you are charging you car? Post a pic of you power bill?

This makes no sense, but different electric companies charge different ways. But you own your panel not
your meter. So you are charged a monthly fee for the meter. Your meter may be based on your panel size, but there is nothing saying your 100 amp panel doesn’t have a 125 amp meter on it. My electric company has a customer daily charge of .55 for each thirty day period. They no longer have a separate meter rental charge. I also have off peak charging for my EV which saves me .04 per kWh. My EV is the only thing in my house that has the off peak use.
Some providers charge a grid access fee based on the size of the service. It may be harder to climb out of tiers in residential electric compared to say a water service where a 3/4" meter costs $25 per month whether you use any water or not and a 1" meter costs $50 per month etc.
Sponsored