Sponsored

Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided"

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is pretty minor, but the fact that the back seats fold "nearly" flat and that it is somehow a big revelation and big deal is utter non-sense to me. This shouldn't be a bonus feature. This is a no brainer and should 100% be expected. Car manufacturers have had rear seats that fold flat for a long time now. Do a quick google search...GMC has been doing this since at least 2015. I don't even know why this is a talking or selling point for Rivian. It would be a BIG deal if they did not fold flat. It shouldn't be a big deal that they do fold "nearly" flat. Rivian needs to stop patting themselves on the back for basic features and design aspects that every other car manufacturer has figured out years ago. I get it, it's hard to design and build a car from scratch. But don't try to make selling points out of nothing.
And the seats folding flat make it "ideal for car camping" is pure branding and also non-sense. You can car camp out of a RAV4 for crying out loud. I just rented a Yukon for a weekend trip in Colorado, and their seats folded COMPLETELY flat....I don't see them making a quirky YouTube video about how the Yukon is the perfect vehicle for family car camping adventures.
IF the R1S had other unique car camping features like night lights, bug screens, some sort of battery or low power fan for the night, custom inflatable mattress, whatever they come up with, then that's another thing. Saying the seats fold nearly flat (which is not a revelation) makes this vehicle ideal for car camping is hollow branding and marketing.
Last point: when you "car camp" you don't usually sleep in the rear cargo area of your vehicle unless you have some sort of custom or after market bed platform. When you car camp, you have TONS of gear. That is almost exclusively the reason for car camping...you have lots of gear you can't carry in a back pack. And all of that gear is in the trunk of your vehicle. 99% of car campers use tents.
Rivian's version of "car camping" is going 10 minutes out of town, laying down in the back of your R1S, and watching the stars for one night, with zero gear. I just don't get this entire "rear seats fold nearly flat" and "ideal for car camping" on so many levels. It's hollow marketing, yet Rivian followers blindly love it. Why?
Interesting take. When I saw people have strong opinions about flat-folding seats it seemed to be overwhelmingly because of dog crates and cargo concerns -- not sleeping in the SUV.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I just don't get this entire "rear seats fold nearly flat" and "ideal for car camping" on so many levels. It's hollow marketing, yet Rivian followers blindly love it. Why?
I don't know, but if you have been following the forum - it IS a big deal to many. Sometimes even listed as a reason to cancel their order if they didn't fold flat.

EV's have a harder time with flat folding seats due to the placement of the batteries. Manufacturers have design tradeoffs among which is just that - seats that fold flat or more batteries/range. It looks like Rivian went for the folding flat on the R1S since the 400+ mile version didn't make it to production. They are going to have one with more range than the "Large Pack" initially offered (300+), but will not be offering the "Max Pack" with 400+ in the R1S. Maybe the "XL Pack" with 375?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Yes, I agree. NOT having rear seats that fold flat IS A BIG DEAL and would be a potential reason to cancel your order. That would be an unforgiveable design flaw. That is exactly my point. It is so basic and necessary, that it shouldn't be a big deal that the R1S has that capability. And calling it a "capability" is generous because that implies it is feature...it's not really a "capability" but rather an issue if excluded.
In my opinion, having rear seats fold "nearly" flat, is on par with boasting that the Rivian has Air conditioning, power windows, electrical outlet/auxiliary power plugs, etc....features that have been in place for years.
Maybe for you. Others would rather have more range. Even though you see it as a basic requirement, there are many vehicles on the market that sell quite well with seats that do not fold flat (usually - but not always - in smaller vehicles).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yes, I agree. NOT having rear seats that fold flat IS A BIG DEAL and would be a potential reason to cancel your order. That would be an unforgiveable design flaw. That is exactly my point. It is so basic and necessary, that it shouldn't be a big deal that the R1S has that capability. And calling it a "capability" is generous because that implies it is feature...it's not really a "capability" but rather an issue if excluded.
In my opinion, having rear seats fold "nearly" flat, is on par with boasting that the Rivian has Air conditioning, power windows, electrical outlet/auxiliary power plugs, etc....features that have been in place for years.
Previous Hybrid full-size vehicles (such as Chevy Tahoe) did not have fold-flat seats because of the battery packs.

So I'd say it is an accomplishment that Rivian has done what they've done.

Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
This is pretty minor, but the fact that the back seats fold "nearly" flat and that it is somehow a big revelation and big deal is utter non-sense to me. This shouldn't be a bonus feature. This is a no brainer and should 100% be expected. Car manufacturers have had rear seats that fold flat for a long time now. Do a quick google search...GMC has been doing this since at least 2015. I don't even know why this is a talking or selling point for Rivian. It would be a BIG deal if they did not fold flat. It shouldn't be a big deal that they do fold "nearly" flat. Rivian needs to stop patting themselves on the back for basic features and design aspects that every other car manufacturer has figured out years ago. I get it, it's hard to design and build a car from scratch. But don't try to make selling points out of nothing.
And the seats folding flat make it "ideal for car camping" is pure branding and also non-sense. You can car camp out of a RAV4 for crying out loud. I just rented a Yukon for a weekend trip in Colorado, and their seats folded COMPLETELY flat....I don't see them making a quirky YouTube video about how the Yukon is the perfect vehicle for family car camping adventures.
IF the R1S had other unique car camping features like night lights, bug screens, some sort of battery or low power fan for the night, custom inflatable mattress, whatever they come up with, then that's another thing. Saying the seats fold nearly flat (which is not a revelation) makes this vehicle ideal for car camping is hollow branding and marketing.
Last point: when you "car camp" you don't usually sleep in the rear cargo area of your vehicle unless you have some sort of custom or after market bed platform. When you car camp, you have TONS of gear. That is almost exclusively the reason for car camping...you have lots of gear you can't carry in a back pack. And all of that gear is in the trunk of your vehicle. 99% of car campers use tents.
Rivian's version of "car camping" is going 10 minutes out of town, laying down in the back of your R1S, and watching the stars for one night, with zero gear. I just don't get this entire "rear seats fold nearly flat" and "ideal for car camping" on so many levels. It's hollow marketing, yet Rivian followers blindly love it. Why?
There was an abundance of concern for flat folding seats due to the early prototypes that had a rise that was not close to "flat". There hadn't been any visual info on the updated design to assuage those concerns. i didn't feel that Rivian/RJ was patting himself on the back but was simply updating "us" on info "we" had been clamoring for.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I spend way too much time watching this forum. Its a sickness I freely admit it. ?

Most threads seem to be 'stale' recently, so figured why not have one that members can just type-out their gripes, frustrations, angst-ridden sarcastic comments while we all "patiently" :)rolleyes:) wait for our Guidance-counselors coming in May.. (or June, July depending on lord knows what). Happy to start off:

What does Rivian really think it's gaining with this ultra-coy, fake openness about its R1 vehicles? I mean the Videos and Stories, and social-web postings are cool and have a "behind the scene" sort of vibe. In reality its mostly teasing, soft taunting and clever games. At this point I'd be happier with a typical OEM roll-out akin to Ford's Mach-E website (https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/). At a glance they both have the same Hollywood-esque splash, yet if you dig further there's plenty of technical specs and FAQs to satisfy one's interest. Heck at least the Colorizer represents the paints accurately and if that's not enough there are tons of photos of actual vehicles in every color available. Yes, I know the Mach-E is out already but this site is pretty much the same since the fall...... just like you-know who's.

Come on Rivian...... at least reveal the paints and interior flavors in "living-colors" ahead of being Guided come May. :angry:
LoneStar,

Thank you for starting this thread!
Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided"
seems to address much of what I tend to do around here, and it's nice of you to make me feel so at home by giving it a name. To your point about so many threads growing stale, I've found lots of good info from posts that predate my stumbling into the Forum. A bunch of people, much smarter than I am, have put a ton of energy into filling these threads with technical, political, and historical perspectives I would have missed elsewhere. That many explanations of the technical type have been "dumbed-down" to where I can understand most of what's being said, is greatly appreciated.

As a Charter Member of the self-proclaimed "Riviots", I continually find both joy and a wealth of info in the conversations here. I've been truly enlightened on any number of subjects, but my hope is that the connections built here will translate into friendships down the road (pun absolutely intended).

Before I embarrass myself anymore (yet another ship that left port awhile back), I want to make sure my thanks do not grow stale. Again, my appreciation for giving us this place to Vent, Bitch, and, uh, well, you know the thing....

Last edited:
OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
I take it the whole “folding flat seats“ thingy isn’t quite doing it for you? ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
OK so this is free speak
MY BITCH 2 OF THEM
YOU MAY BE OFFENDED

Shut the fuck up

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO MAKE A LEAP OF FAITH GET THE FUCK OFF THE CLIFF!

89 MOTHERFUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS
AND FUEL ECONOMY FUCKING HELL

SO YOU PRICE PUSSYS SHUT THE FUCK UP

RANT OVER IS IT JUNE YET ?
How about:

People who bitch out others for wanting a GOOD product. How DARE anyone want something? F*** them, right? I mean, either shove the capitalist crap down your m-fing throat or STFU.

Also, people who use emojis. No faster way to lose credibility.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

OK so this is free speak
MY BITCH 2 OF THEM
YOU MAY BE OFFENDED

#1 you weiners about the OS
"Its got to be Google" or "Apple Car play"
Shut the fuck up
I and many others are willing to make a leap of faith into RIVIAN
It might be THE GREATEST THING EVER (I hope) or it might suck
IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO MAKE A LEAP OF FAITH GET THE FUCK OFF THE CLIFF!

#2 HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT
You weiners about PRICE
We are so lucky
let me give just two examples to prove my point

One - the Tesla X if Rivian had not come along that is the closest thing out there it's a road car if you want to camp in it you can but you are not going down a even slightly rough dirt road when I put together the X I would want it was $115,000 motherfucking dollars for a nearly useless street car

Two - Dodge TRX T2 Hellcat (whatever they call it)
TRX - 750HP
R1T - 754HP

TRX - 0 TO 60 IN 4.5 SECONDS
R1T- 0 TO 80 IN 4 SECONDS

TRX - 6,350 pounds
R1T - 5,886 pounds

TRX - 11.6" ground clearance
R1T - 14.5" ground clearance

TRX - 32" water fording then takes on water in cab
R1T - 38" THEN IT STARTS TO FLOAT

I could go on but I've made my point
How much is the TRX (drumroll)
TRX HELLCAT STARTS AT $89,000
89 MOTHERFUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS
AND FUEL ECONOMY FUCKING HELL

SO YOU PRICE PUSSYS SHUT THE FUCK UP

WE WHO ARE WILLING TO MAKE THE LEAP OF FAITH ARE GOING TO BE SO LUCKY

RANT OVER IS IT JUNE YET ?
What? No mention about Launch Green? WHAT KIND OF RANT DOESN'T INCLUDE MENTION OF LAUNCH GREEN?!!!

COME ON, MAN!?

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
How about:

People who bitch out others for wanting a GOOD product. How DARE anyone want something? F*** them, right? I mean, either shove the capitalist crap down your m-fing throat or STFU.

Also, people who use emojis. No faster way to lose credibility.
You had me on your side until you started on the emojis ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You had me on your side until you started on the emojis ?
I can forgive a occasional, single, simple smiley/frown face at the end.

I can never forgive the "?" or "?" emojis, or posts that include multiple emojis -- especially a Tourettes-like stream of them. There is simply never a time those are appropriate in a conversation between adults who don't personally know each other and want to be taken seriously, imo. As I'm reading posts, I'm imaging someone physically standing in front of me saying what I read, and as soon as I see one of those emojis I see that person give the facial expression and it doesn't matter what was just said -- it immediately goes out the window -- and I think "you're stupid" and want to walk away.

And yes, I fully expect someone to intentionally post a verbal diarrhea of emojis in response to this, just to be a jackass. my preemptive response: "how original, you must be a Rhodes Scholar, because clearly no one except a genius would have thought to do that."