kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://www.ocbj.com/news/2021/mar/22/kia-nabs-former-rivian-exec-new-brand-experience-r/

Irvine automaker Kia Motors America Inc. said it nabbed former Rivian Automotive executive Michael McHale to be director of brand experience.

The position is a new one at Kia and oversees public relations, events, auto shows, strategic partnerships and other outside communications. McHale reports to Kia Motors America Vice President of Marketing Russell Wager.

McHale comes to the automaker from Rivian, also based in Irvine, where he oversaw communications as the electric vehicle brand grew its presence in the U.S.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
https://www.ocbj.com/news/2021/mar/22/kia-nabs-former-rivian-exec-new-brand-experience-r/

Irvine automaker Kia Motors America Inc. said it nabbed former Rivian Automotive executive Michael McHale to be director of brand experience.

The position is a new one at Kia and oversees public relations, events, auto shows, strategic partnerships and other outside communications. McHale reports to Kia Motors America Vice President of Marketing Russell Wager.

McHale comes to the automaker from Rivian, also based in Irvine, where he oversaw communications as the electric vehicle brand grew its presence in the U.S.
Not super newsworthy, imho. McHale left in July 2019 after less than a year at Rivian having started in September 2018.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Not super newsworthy, imho. McHale left in July 2019 after less than a year at Rivian having started in September 2018.
Ah whoops I thought I remembered that, must have slipped my mind. I guess he just started at KIA, will be interesting to see their roll out as well as Hyundais.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Honestly all can be forgiven....

:angry:. BUT!!!!!

Moving Max Pack Totally optioned out Pre-order holders to the back of the line (2022).

My Max pack R1T not only was gonna be my 40th B-day gift to myself, but I think I was in the first 300 for preorders and wanted to have the personal satisfaction of getting to own and drive the worlds first mass produced electric pickup.

Now that nothing can fix or make up for.

Other then that the power tailgate ditch still has me kinda headscratching, still excited though.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Wow!

Just read "no lease option"... Oh boy!

Houston we have a problem!

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Comparing specs, the R1S beats nearly all three-row and trucks off-road. I'd love to see it vs. the Hummer EV. It's only real competitor off road is the LR Defender or Land Cruiser, but those both have worse specs.
It will be interesting to see the Hummer SUV when it it revealed on April 3rd. But for me the Hummer wins out as a pickup, because of the bigger bed and multipro tailgate. Plus the removable roof and power rear window. No gear tunnel though.

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

It will be interesting to see the Hummer SUV when it it revealed on April 3rd. But for me the Hummer wins out as a pickup, because of the bigger bed and multipro tailgate. Plus the removable roof and power rear window. No gear tunnel though.
Agreed. I think it’s initial price will be terrible compared to the R1S plus it doesn’t qualify for the federal tax credit unless a new bill is passed.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Easiest job in the world... Rivian VP of Communications! :CWL:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Easiest job in the world... Rivian VP of Communications! :CWL:
As Electruck noted previously in this thread, McHale left in July of 2019. Now it's all starting to make sense. I wonder when they'll find his replacement??

Sonartech

First Name
Sonar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S, Hyundai IONIC 5, Ford Lightning
Occupation
Battery Systems Engineer
Clubs

As Electruck noted previously in this thread, McHale left in July of 2019. Now it's all starting to make sense. I wonder when they'll find his replacement??
...he'll probably be replaced with a very small shell script...

Sponsored

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
Honestly all can be forgiven....

:angry:. BUT!!!!!

Moving Max Pack Totally optioned out Pre-order holders to the back of the line (2022).

My Max pack R1T not only was gonna be my 40th B-day gift to myself, but I think I was in the first 300 for preorders and wanted to have the personal satisfaction of getting to own and drive the worlds first mass produced electric pickup.

Now that nothing can fix or make up for.

Other then that the power tailgate ditch still has me kinda headscratching, still excited though.
I was upset for a minute but then
I can buy one hell of a generator for 10k
Just saying

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Using my own thread to "come clean".. The drought of meaningful info from Rivian and the passage of time leaves me constantly pondering alternatives. I know none are as adventure-focused as the Rivian and some not even real EVs or just road-going rides. Sitting here on the verge of spending near $80 grand on a new vehicle has me eye-balling options:
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid (FX4-Platinum)
  • Audi e-tron
  • Mach-E GT
  • Tesla Y-Performance
  • Hyundai Ionic 5 (or 6) yes, also a wait time

There... I said it! I confessed... and I peak at other vehicle forums too

Now back to convincing myself every other option will disappoint the crap out of me once the R1T is actually set free. When all its glory is revealed here and on YouTube that my ability to resist taking another bride is rewarded handsomely. Now onto my next paranoia .... all this goodness starts in June and I don't hear from my Guide until late fall about a winter production spot. ?
You forgot the Hummer EV. Yes, there are some immediate knee jerk reactions when hearing "Hummer", but I would take a look at it. I hate the idea of owning a Hummer, but it looks seriously cool and has so many more practical features than the Rivian.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

1. No 180° drop for the tailgate making cargo bed entry and loading more difficult, requiring more room behind the vehicle, and eliminating any possibility of enjoying handy tailgate features such as foot pegs to aid entry and tailgate seats that are available in competitors' vehicles.
2. Elimination of the crossbar quick mounts from the cargo bed as this would have allowed transportation of bikes largely out of the wind.
3. Pushing back delivery of the 180kWh R1T until after the 135kWh.
4. Not offering the 180kWh in a Launch Edition.
5. Elimination of the 180kWh R1S (for now).
6. Elimination of the five seat variant to the R1S (for now).
7. No Apple Car Play. (It was never promised so I really can't complain.)
8. No lease option on a brand new product from a brand new manufacturer in a rapidly advancing technology segment.
9. No easy way to reach deep inside the frunk without placing your body against the car.
Adding Removeable Roof! Not necessary, but VERY cool!

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

This is pretty minor, but the fact that the back seats fold "nearly" flat and that it is somehow a big revelation and big deal is utter non-sense to me. This shouldn't be a bonus feature. This is a no brainer and should 100% be expected. Car manufacturers have had rear seats that fold flat for a long time now. Do a quick google search...GMC has been doing this since at least 2015. I don't even know why this is a talking or selling point for Rivian. It would be a BIG deal if they did not fold flat. It shouldn't be a big deal that they do fold "nearly" flat. Rivian needs to stop patting themselves on the back for basic features and design aspects that every other car manufacturer has figured out years ago. I get it, it's hard to design and build a car from scratch. But don't try to make selling points out of nothing.
And the seats folding flat make it "ideal for car camping" is pure branding and also non-sense. You can car camp out of a RAV4 for crying out loud. I just rented a Yukon for a weekend trip in Colorado, and their seats folded COMPLETELY flat....I don't see them making a quirky YouTube video about how the Yukon is the perfect vehicle for family car camping adventures.
IF the R1S had other unique car camping features like night lights, bug screens, some sort of battery or low power fan for the night, custom inflatable mattress, whatever they come up with, then that's another thing. Saying the seats fold nearly flat (which is not a revelation) makes this vehicle ideal for car camping is hollow branding and marketing.
Last point: when you "car camp" you don't usually sleep in the rear cargo area of your vehicle unless you have some sort of custom or after market bed platform. When you car camp, you have TONS of gear. That is almost exclusively the reason for car camping...you have lots of gear you can't carry in a back pack. And all of that gear is in the trunk of your vehicle. 99% of car campers use tents.
Rivian's version of "car camping" is going 10 minutes out of town, laying down in the back of your R1S, and watching the stars for one night, with zero gear. I just don't get this entire "rear seats fold nearly flat" and "ideal for car camping" on so many levels. It's hollow marketing, yet Rivian followers blindly love it. Why?
Sponsored