Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I have to say, after the last update my Vampire Drain has been super low. Every morning I get in the car and it is at the same percentage as leaving it the night before. I drive familiar loops and the percentage drop during those loops is consistent with the mileage and efficiency so I don't think they are cheating by delaying/burying a percentage update somewhere. If it stays like this for me, it's a non issue. I definitely am having to charge less as well with the same routine. 🤷‍♂️

I still have two things adjusted. I have Wifi off in the Rivian and only turn it on when I am looking for an update. My cell phone is programmed to turn off BT whenever it connects to either my home or work wifi access points. When I walk out to my car I lose Wifi and BT comes back on. I realize this is not possible for people who own iPhones instead of Android and I happen to have multiple access points to achieve this feature at home. At work I powered back our Wifi to just reach our office space areas though BT can reach my car if I leave it on. How much these two things affect my drain, I can't say for sure at this point but I don't feel like tempting fate.
I had a moment like yours where I saw no drain for days but it’s now back to 1% per day.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is my conclusion as well and why I'm thinking that a 33ah battery to replace the 18ah may overall decrease vampire drain by having the vehicle not wake to energize the HV until you drive it again.
I thought EVs don’t have alternators and the 12V is just getting energy transferred over from the big guy. So if that’s the case, doesn’t matter if it waits for the car to be driving or not.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I thought EVs don’t have alternators and the 12V is just getting energy transferred over from the big guy. So if that’s the case, doesn’t matter if it waits for the car to be driving or not.
I think powering up the car and inverter just to charge the motorcycle battery is about as efficient as leaving a gas car idling in your driveway to charge its 12v battery.

Sponsored

Sempervirens

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Ioniq 5 SE RWD
Measuring loss over 2-3 days with no driving.

Friday @4pm 94% / 274mi

30hrs later
Saturday @10pm 91% / 269mi

24hrs later
Sunday @10am 90% / 266mi

11 hrs later
Monday @ 9am 88% / 263mi

Total;
After 66 hours parked, we lost: 6% 11mi 8.1kw $2.91

This averages to 3kw/24hr or 2%.

65° inside garage, no sun.

Last edited:

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
With this update I've had some luck (very little drain) with not allowing it on my wifi network and disallowing my phone to connect to the vehicle, specifically the location/proximity/nearby connections within the app details.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I updated to 2024.11.02 last week and noticed consistent increase in vampire drain.

What used to be ~1% daily loss, now become 2-3% daily. Anyone else have noticed this?
So after initial couple days the vampire drain got back to normal, sounds like this was a temporary increase in power consumption right after update was done.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I'm actually fascinated by vampire drain on EVs. I do wonder whether, at some point, there will be regulations that limit vampire drain. Not sure that vampire drain is accounted for in many of the lifecycle emissions I've looked at.
Well to be fair, I run gear guard 24/7 so I am not complaining, but it has to be within a reason.
I think I estimated some time ago I spend about $25* per month from truck just being parked.

Sponsored

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
My drain has gotten to be less with the update. My observation is it's largely PAAK with a BT device being too close. Other option is if you don't drive much, the 18ah 12v battery never gets charged much and the car can't make it over night without charging it; maybe.
Are you in conserve mode? I may be seeing less drain in conserve mode but I’m monitoring it a bit more. I know, I know, weird.

Last edited:

Sempervirens

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Ioniq 5 SE RWD
I'm actually fascinated by vampire drain on EVs. I do wonder whether, at some point, there will be regulations that limit vampire drain. Not sure that vampire drain is accounted for in many of the lifecycle emissions I've looked at.
This aligns with my analysis. $1/day is what I am seeing (at the balanced cost of $0.36/kw)

600-700kw of wasted energy annually. ~$365/yr

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
This aligns with my analysis. $1/day is what I am seeing (at the balanced cost of $0.36/kw)

600-700kw of wasted energy annually. ~$365/yr
Agreed, it's terribly irresponsible for a supposedly "green" aligned manufacturer.
Many people don't even have a full monthly electric bill over $365. For a vehicle sitting doing nothing productive it's a huge waste of electricity which in most cases is produced by burning fossil fuels.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Are you in conserve mode? I may be seeing less drain in conserve mode but I’m monitoring it a bit more. I know, I know, weird.
Worth investigating but I'm Dual Motor so can't comment.
Sponsored