First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
Have had my truck for about 14 months now, according to recurrent and my target range seems like my battery health is doing pretty good. Set daily charge to 70%, full charge about 2x a week for longer road-trips for work and DC fast charge about 1-2x a week on those trips.

Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? IMG_6795

Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? IMG_6796
Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? IMG_6797
Sponsored

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Have had my truck for about 14 months now, according to recurrent and my target range seems like my battery health is doing pretty good. Set daily charge to 70%, full charge about 2x a week for longer road-trips for work and DC fast charge about 1-2x a week on those trips.

IMG_6795.png

IMG_6796.png
IMG_6797.png
that is awesome. Need more reports from other owners please.

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
I have had my R1T since Dec 21, 2022 (21’wheels) has just shy of 16k charge to 70% (currently getting 224 mile range as of 19 Sept 22) almost all the time. Every two ish months travel to Nashville from Huntsville AL and charge to 85% (265 miles).

I have not had a reason to charge up to 100% since I have had my truck and has been an Al round fun time.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

IMG_6795.png

IMG_6796.png
IMG_6797.png
But, on what wheels and drive mode?

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
I rotate between 20” wheels with agressive ATs and 21” wheels with the factory all seasons. My driving is a mix of all purpose, conserve, and sport. It gets very regular full throttle accelerations

Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I rotate between 20” wheels with agressive ATs and 21” wheels with the factory all seasons. My driving is a mix of all purpose, conserve, and sport. It gets very regular full throttle accelerations
Something doesn’t add up.
No way you’re getting expected 324 miles with that setup and driving habit.
Anyways, good luck mate.

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
@R1TS 323 mile range at 58% soc works out 187 miles as shown so Recurrent seems pretty accurate to Rivian’s projections as well
Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? IMG_6893

Picture of the wheels/tires for reference

Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? IMG_6894

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
To add clarity, I don’t get 324 miles in all purpose with those AT tires mounted. I’m down about 10% from that projection. With the factory 21’s in all-purpose I will get that. Overall use/split is roughly 30k with the 21’s and 5k with the 20’s.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
To add clarity, I don’t get 324 miles in all purpose with those AT tires mounted. I’m down about 10% from that projection. With the factory 21’s in all-purpose I will get that. Overall use/split is roughly 30k with the 21’s and 5k with the 20’s.
On a side not, Did your 21" lasted 30K miles? or this is your 2nd set?

Sponsored

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
@LL75 - went back and checked my vehicle log and actual mileage split was more like 8,500 miles on the ATs and 26,500 on the 21”. The 21’s should have been replaced around 24,000.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

20' AT just over one year and just over 10k miles.
Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? 1695646758638

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
Battery degradation is something a lot of folks worry about. I have been driving EVs for going on 7 years now. Degradation is not normally an issue these days with active thermal management. There is a normal amount of degradation after the 1st year and after that it tapers off. Even folks that almost exclusively DCFC are not seeing significant increase in degradation (not rivian specific here). Charging over 90% frequently, discharging it below 10% frequently, or charging to 100% and allowing the vehicle to sit with a high state of charge will most certainly accelerate degradation. Set your charge limit to 85% and only charge above that for road trips. Try to avoid running it below 10% if possible.

To measure degradation, unless the vehicle had a mechanism for doing this, you must charge to 100%, fully discharge, and then fully recharge to 100%. This will tell you how much you pulled out of the battery, and then how much you were able to put back into the battery. You also want to know what the official usable capacity of the battery is from new. Using this information you can fairly accurately determine your degradation. Most of that will happen in the first 12 months though. With different brands it is fairly normal to see about 10% degradation over 100k miles. Sometimes a little more or a little less. I suspect a lot of that probably occurs in the first year....at least half of it.
Isn’t it easier to just plug in an OBDII scanner and read the actual SoC when RivianOS says it’s fully charged?

On our old PHEV I could do that and was able to track battery life. Over 6 yrs of use and 76k miles it had 12% loss. Fully charged it would read 88% via OBD. Most days it was getting at least 2 full charge cycles/day with 3x/day common.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Isn’t it easier to just plug in an OBDII scanner and read the actual SoC when RivianOS says it’s fully charged?

On our old PHEV I could do that and was able to track battery life. Over 6 yrs of use and 76k miles it had 12% loss. Fully charged it would read 88% via OBD. Most days it was getting at least 2 full charge cycles/day with 3x/day common.
I am not sure that would give any idea on degradation. To measure degradation you need to know what the actual usable capacity was when the truck rolled off the line. I haven't tested but everything I have read says 125 kwh. As you probably know from driving EVs the actual and usable capacity differ because of the buffer built in to protect the battery. Then you need to run the battery from 100% to 0%, fully recharge it, and then measure the kwh it took in. Its still not 100% but its close.

12% after six years seems reasonable to me. That would be a loss of 2% per year. At that rate you would still have 80% of the original capacity after 10 years.

Hopefully Rivian will do what Tesla did and have battery health testing built into the software.

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
I am not sure that would give any idea on degradation. To measure degradation you need to know what the actual usable capacity was when the truck rolled off the line. I haven't tested but everything I have read says 125 kwh. As you probably know from driving EVs the actual and usable capacity differ because of the buffer built in to protect the battery. Then you need to run the battery from 100% to 0%, fully recharge it, and then measure the kwh it took in. Its still not 100% but its close.

12% after six years seems reasonable to me. That would be a loss of 2% per year. At that rate you would still have 80% of the original capacity after 10 years.

Hopefully Rivian will do what Tesla did and have battery health testing built into the software.
Never mind, I just tried it on my R1T and Rivian’s not using a standard OBDII comms protocol. I came across another thread that is about trying to figure out comms and no one seems to have had luck sniffing any data that Rivian might be putting out via even the supported Rivian branded OBDII to Ethernet cable.

With PHEV it was pretty straight forward to read battery SoC/health and matched what the service manager at its last visit had said in terms of its battery health. I would expect a new car to come with anywhere from 97%-100% in terms of battery health with 99% or 100% being most likely. Not unlike other quality electronics like an iPhone or I suppose a Samsung (seeing as how ours our powered by Samsung batteries).
Sponsored