Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Any suggestions for how to improve the drain? I lost 1% again overnight and will likely still be at 3% a day. Should I try a hard reboot? Any other settings I need to be aware of? Proximity is off at home, gear guard is off at home, I leave it unlocked in the garage…
outlets turned off?
do you have any carseats with seatbelts used? maybe try unclicking the seatbelt?
maybe try locking it and see if it makes a difference?
are you checking the app often? try hard closing the app on your phone

https://electrafi.com/

its in the Beta but tells a lot of info and everyone with a Rivian should try it. i believe its free for 2 months and after that it 50 dollars per year.
so electrafi pulls data from the Rivian app to build this report or is there some connection to the vehicle? just wondering how it works.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Here is my battery drain for last night.
Screenshot_20230928_071110.jpg
Screenshot_20230928_071215.jpg
Screenshot_20230928_071340.jpg
Thanks for posting your numbers @EricSD858...

If we take your 9h8min of total data and project that out to a full 24hr duration you'd be at:
1.76 kWh/day loss
4.7 mi/day loss

I'm also seeing 1.7kWh/day loss after the last update (and my truck is kept in Shipping mode weekdays). Before the update I was only seeing 0.5kWh/day in Shipping mode. Your figures match mine so closely that to me it confirms my suspicion that Rivian "broke something" in the last update that has completely prevented Shipping mode from operating even though the GUI shows it's on. It's also probably related to the issue where I turn WiFi and BT off via the vehicle GUI only to find the next time I go out to the vehicle both are magically turned back on again.

Rivian Service is going to remote connect with my R1T in the next couple of days to try to get to the bottom of my sudden loss increase... and with this new info I will be better able to point them in the right direction.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
So after 24 hours of siting in my driveway unplugged I lost 1 mile. Not very scientific but I’ll take it.

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
Still 1% per day. In my garage, gear guard off, untouched for 4 days and I lost 4%. Has been very consistent (unimpressive) but consistent for the four months I have owned it.

Sponsored

EricSD858

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

outlets turned off?
do you have any carseats with seatbelts used? maybe try unclicking the seatbelt?
maybe try locking it and see if it makes a difference?
are you checking the app often? try hard closing the app on your phone

so electrafi pulls data from the Rivian app to build this report or is there some connection to the vehicle? just wondering how it works.
i think i pulls it from the vehicle. i didnt connect it to my phone. you can try it out for free for 2 months. i know it uses Rivian API Tokens, but i dont know what that is. i did see in the last software update that Rivian did thank ElectraFi for some suggestions for enhanced security checks and cloud based remote operations.

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

OK. New test yesterday. Parking in closed garage at 5:30pm, gear guard was off, proximity locking was off, locked the doors. Left the vehicle with 169 miles of range. Woke up this morning and checked the miles -- at 8:30am, it's at 165 miles of range. So over 15 hours, it lost about 4 miles. This would be about 6.5 for a 24 hour period, which is still over 2% for the day. My previous recent tests with the same configuration parked in the garage but with the doors unlocked drained 3.5-4% per day, so it does seem lower with the doors locked (data point of one). Before some of the recent software updates, I was getting a consistent 1% loss per day, even with gear guard on, so something definitely changed for me after the last two updates.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Anyone else's vehicle wake up when you just walk by it in the garage with your phone in pocket? Phone as key turned off at home, but this would imply that it's still connecting with it in some way. If that isn't the case and it's just waking up when it sees motions, that may be just as bad. Either way, I'm sure that is what is causing a lot of the phantom drain.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone else's vehicle wake up when you just walk by it in the garage with your phone in pocket? Phone as key turned off at home, but this would imply that it's still connecting with it in some way. If that isn't the case and it's just waking up when it sees motions, that may be just as bad. Either way, I'm sure that is what is causing a lot of the phantom drain.
Is bluetooth on? Mine always starts chirping, whirring, etc when I still have BT on. My drain is noticeably less when I have BT off on my phone when i get home. 4 Rivian sensors always try to connect if not.

Sponsored

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Is bluetooth on? Mine always starts chirping, whirring, etc when I still have BT on. My drain is noticeably less when I have BT off on my phone when i get home. 4 Rivian sensors always try to connect if not.
For sure on. I'm not going to get into the habit of turning bluetooth on and off and home. That would be a ridiculous necessity. (not aiming my ire at you, just Rivian for not being able to take care of this)

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For sure on. I'm not going to get into the habit of turning bluetooth on and off and home. That would be a ridiculous necessity. (not aiming my ire at you, just Rivian for not being able to take care of this)
Lol. No worries, I understand.

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I put my key fob in some tin foil for the last 24 hours and phantom drain has significantly decreased. It is sleeping more than it was before (for 3 hour stretches). I still can't figure out why it wakes up and stays in idle mode for an hour or so each time. So maybe check proximity to key fob as one of the factors.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I've tracked for over a week now...

Entirely undriven, GG Off, Proximity Off, Garaged, Temps between 60-85F, Unplugged, Locked, Rivian app "paused" (disabled from running) on Android except for the window to check current charge @ 3:00PM each day

Starting from last Saturday 9/23 with "Day 1" measured on Sunday 9/24 for 24h loss:

• Day 1 - 91-88% - 3% loss
  • Day 2 - 88-85% - 3% loss
  • Day 3 - 85-83% - 2% loss
  • Day 4 - 83-81% - 2% loss
  • Day 5 - 81-79% - 2% loss
  • Day 6 - 79-78% - 1% loss
  • Day 7 - 78-77% - 1% loss
  • Day 8 - 77-76%- 1% loss
  • Day 9 - 76-75% - 1% loss
So things have leveled off to 1% per day it seems. Which I know still sucks, and many have (rightfully) complained about, but I'm happy to not be seeing 3% each day. I am curious now if I take it out for a drive now and bring it back if it'll go back to 2-3% or stay at 1%. I'll need to take it Wednesday (been using other vehicle) so going to measure this until then, and start everything over at that point for as long as I can. but interesting to see the drop (gain?) over time.

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

With 2023.30 I was just under 1% per day. After the 2023.34 update I'm at 1.7% loss per day. All the conditions were the same: 48 hour test, everything off, didn't wake up the vehicle. The only difference is that the average temps were probably a little less in the second test (should have been more favorable.)

As I sometimes have to leave the truck untouched for lengthy periods, the 0.7% increase is a big deal. With the 1% loss I could drive to the airport, park for 53 days and still make it home with a 20% buffer. With the 1.7% loss I can only park for 31 days. That means that for 80% of my long trips I can't park the R1T at the airport.

As far as I'm concerned, the higher vampire drain along with the crappy modification to the R1T ride, means the 2023.34 update is a definite fail.
Sponsored