Sponsored

lubes

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S pending delivery, BMW i3
Haven’t seen anyone else post about this, but RJ provided an update on the power and the manual tonneau covers on his Instagram account! Both are coming mid-summer, and we finally get a look at the manual one

Thanks for the update! I'm switching my reservation from R1S to R1T w/automatic cover.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Finally! I don't want to be a negative nelly, but all the talk is about getting the powered cover 'back into the production line'. I'm almost sure that also means replacing all the dud ones in the field, but it's not explicitly mentioned. The question was asked a couple of times in the comments, but no replies from Rivian.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Boy, that really does look like @Bf3 's version! Looks like theirs has a hook style connection between the panels instead of just tongue/groove so they all stick together, but basically the same still...

Well that looks pretty great. Sure would hate to be a guy that bought way too many tools to make basically the same thing… oh…wait… crap. 😂
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery? :D You're still cheaper than theirs! though, I do like the bag!

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Praise the Lord, rise up rejoicing! Those are two excellently designed products. The manual exceeds my imagination for what would be light and effective. The powered looks smooth and silent. She said something like — We can’t wait to get this on the factory floor, or into production. Makes it sound like this will be back on order for new trucks!

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

anyone know if those who ordered manual tonneau's can upgrade to the powered one? id be willing to pay. otherwise, i think that means the new powered tonneau is legacy and will only be supported for those who got it early on.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Boy, that really does look like @Bf3 's version! Looks like theirs has a hook style connection between the panels instead of just tongue/groove so they all stick together, but basically the same still...

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery? :D You're still cheaper than theirs! though, I do like the bag!
I'm really surprised Rivian used four interlocking flat panels like their marketing materials said it was going to be, to make a tonneau cover too /s

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It appears that the power tonneau slat design is no more? Isn’t that a continuous piece of…… something? Lol….

Sponsored

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hey @Bf3 hope you get a kickback from Rivian since it looks like they just took your design and claimed it as their own lol.

I mean, I just made what they had already described. I’d think they had this design for quite a while now. I had been talking to some people about making pretty much the exact same bag, glad I didn’t put down any deposits. Oh well. On to kitchens now I guess.

bpeter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Software
Honest question: if they are able to get a reliable automatic cover working that's durable long term, why would anyone want the manual cover? Is it cost only or for other reasons?
The manual one will still be more reliable than a powered tonneau. Even if they improved reliability a lot. And yeah, I guess a small cost savings.
I personally wouldn't go manual over automatic but some may.

bpeter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Software
I'm personally wondering if the old one will be retrofitted with the new one. And will it be at our cost or there's?
Theirs for sure. It's extremely likely for them to all fail during the warranty period.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Finally! I don't want to be a negative nelly, but all the talk is about getting the powered cover 'back into the production line'. I'm almost sure that also means replacing all the dud ones in the field, but it's not explicitly mentioned. The question was asked a couple of times in the comments, but no replies from Rivian.
If it starts going into new trucks "midsummer," I wouldn't expect it to start being retrofitted before Labor Day. There are approximately 20,000 trucks out there that will need to be retrofitted, and I would expect it to be a 3-4 hour project per truck. If the trucks are evenly distributed across the existing service centers that comes out to 42 weeks if it is 1 truck at a time. I'll be surprised if they get through all of them before EOY.
Sponsored