Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Yes I'm a Tesla owner but I disagree with the idea it's a waste. It is far more comfortable IMO to just see percentage. With miles it is constant head math...oh I lost 3 miles since I was last in the car...why did a 40 mile journey use 50 miles of range etc.

Percentage removes a bunch of unnecessary thought (a waste) and just leaves you with 'enough' or 'not enough'.
Yeah, I still don't get it. Enough or not enough is measured in miles, which is what the range tells you. You rarely will use a number of miles that is significantly different than the actual distance travelled, in an EV that uses the range methodology that Rivian does (as opposed to rated range like Tesla). So that's my point, the miles of range removes the head math, whereas the % creates the need for it. Especially with the different drive modes in a Rivian.

If it says 32%, you have to figure out what drive mode am I using, what is the total expected range for that drive mode, what are the present conditions that will cause me to deviate from that range, and then estimate that it all means you can expect 97 miles of range. Instead, you can just have the vehicle tell you that the correct answer is that you have 93 miles of range (because you made an error/approximated doing quick math in your head), and then when you switch to Conserve, it will say 105, instead of still saying 32% and you needing to do it all over again.
Sponsored

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
I just got my truck yesterday and it's updating to 2022.27.2 this morning.

Still no option to change from miles to percentage battery remaining?
Excited for you to start posting a bunch of pictures of the Limestone/Forest Edge combo.....

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
Yeah, I still don't get it. Enough or not enough is measured in miles, which is what the range tells you. You rarely will use a number of miles that is significantly different than the actual distance travelled, in an EV that uses the range methodology that Rivian does (as opposed to rated range like Tesla). So that's my point, the miles of range removes the head math, whereas the % creates the need for it. Especially with the different drive modes in a Rivian.

If it says 32%, you have to figure out what drive mode am I using, what is the total expected range for that drive mode, what are the present conditions that will cause me to deviate from that range, and then estimate that it all means you can expect 97 miles of range. Instead, you can just have the vehicle tell you that the correct answer is that you have 93 miles of range (because you made an error/approximated doing quick math in your head), and then when you switch to Conserve, it will say 105, instead of still saying 32% and you needing to do it all over again.
In 6 years of owning EVs I have never once figured out what range my percentage gives me.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excited for you to start posting a bunch of pictures of the Limestone/Forest Edge combo.....
Here's a peek of her amongst the foliage.

Rivian R1T R1S Update 2022.27.02 Released - Automatic Ride Height, Direct Current Fast Charging & More PXL_20220822_185243509

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In 6 years of owning EVs I have never once figured out what range my percentage gives me.
Isn't that simply because EVs tell you the miles remaining to empty?

Distance is measured in miles. If I want to know if I can make it to my next charging stop, I need to know how many miles until empty and how many miles to the charger.

The percentage doesn't tell me if I have enough range... At least not without doing calculations to figure out miles to empty.

Sponsored

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isn't that simply because EVs tell you the miles remaining to empty?

Distance is measured in miles. If I want to know if I can make it to my next charging stop, I need to know how many miles until empty and how many miles to the charger.

The percentage doesn't tell me if I have enough range... At least not without doing calculations to figure out miles to empty.
No. Wow, I can't believe this is an issue. I simply want the option to see remaining battery as a percentage. I PERSONALLY hate seeing the miles remaining. In my Teslas I never had it as miles, never. I also never converted.

I guess we're all doing very different driving and a lot of you folks are flitting around with squeaky bums, rolling into chargers with nothing to spare.

I charge when I need, usually at night or at work. As needed. Like my phone. Hence percentage.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
No. Wow, I can't believe this is an issue. I simply want the option to see remaining battery as a percentage. I PERSONALLY hate seeing the miles remaining. In my Teslas I never had it as miles, never. I also never converted.

I guess we're all doing very different driving and a lot of you folks are flitting around with squeaky bums, rolling into chargers with nothing to spare.

I charge when I need, usually at night or at work. As needed. Like my phone. Hence percentage.
The debate is partly because it's been hashed out before with Tesla drivers of which one is preferable to actually know what range you have remaining. The division largely occurring because miles in a Tesla can actually be misleading, so that's what they've been trained for. Historically, Tesla range remaining is simply based on rated consumption on remaining energy in the battery. Other EV's take other things into account like drive mode, driving style, external conditions, etc. to produce a more accurate remaining range number.

In your case, I suppose your right, it really doesn't matter which one is there, or really that there is one at all, because it's not needed in your use case. So then it's just a personal preference thing, because neither option is needed for any decision making. It's just an "oh by the way" measurement.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
"Next rest stop in 3% battery life ahead!"

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
No. Wow, I can't believe this is an issue. I simply want the option to see remaining battery as a percentage.
I completely agree that it should be an option. I want the ability to see both percent and miles at the same time which I believe is doable on many EVs.

Rivian has no reason to limit the info provided.

The reason people are responding to your post is because you wrote the following statement:

With miles it is constant head math...oh I lost 3 miles since I was last in the car...why did a 40 mile journey use 50 miles of range etc.

Percentage removes a bunch of unnecessary thought (a waste) and just leaves you with 'enough' or 'not enough'.
That logic is backwards. Percentage creates the head math when trying to see how far you can drive.

It's the reported miles to empty that eliminates the math. You had it precisely backwards.

The feature of "miles to empty" predates EVs and started with ICE vehicles. Prior to that, cars just had a fuel gage reporting the quantity of fuel as a fraction, which is analogous to the percentage reported by an EV.

Would you also try to argue that the distance to empty is useless and creates extra "head math" in an ICE vehicle?

Seems to me like miles to empty is a great feature to have in any vehicle... ICE or EV.

Sponsored

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I completely agree that it should be an option. I want the ability to see both percent and miles at the same time which I believe is doable on many EVs.

Rivian has no reason to limit the info provided.

The reason people are responding to your post is because you wrote the following statement:

That logic is backwards. Percentage creates the head math when trying to see how far you can drive.

It's the reported miles to empty that eliminates the math. You had it precisely backwards.

The feature of "miles to empty" predates EVs and started with ICE vehicles. Prior to that, cars just had a fuel gage reporting the quantity of fuel as a fraction, which is analogous to the percentage reported by an EV.

Would you also try to argue that the distance to empty is useless and creates extra "head math" in an ICE vehicle?

Seems to me like miles to empty is a great feature to have in any vehicle... ICE or EV.
I didn't have anything backwards as I was posting about my own experience.

Last note on this is that I guess my use of the word 'math' was instantly and completely interpreted to mean the conversion of percentage or miles. Which I have categorically stated it is not.

99% of driving does not require you to know your 'miles to empty' and therefore seeing that number, and the random reductions in that number, is a PITA. In MY experience.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Has anyone else noticed a tremendous increase in trickle charge rate since the last update? Originally, plugging in on 110V would give me about 10 miles of charge during my 9 hour work shift with about 50-60% of the charge being lost to "Low Voltage Accesories" It was basically worthless and stopped wasting time plugging in. But now I'm getting about 30 miles of range with only about 3-5% of power being lost to "Low Voltage Accesories" No mention of this in the update notes, but definite change. More than covers my commute now, which is great as I wait for an electrician to miraculously show up and install a 240V plug here.
It's not in the release notes, but I did provide the feedback to them on reddit. Improving charge efficiency, especially at low charge rates, would be wonderful. Please test it to make sure you're actually only getting 3-5% loss and the rest actually ends up in the battery. Compare EVSE output to acceptance (some efficiency loss is ok).

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yes I'm a Tesla owner but I disagree with the idea it's a waste. It is far more comfortable IMO to just see percentage. With miles it is constant head math...oh I lost 3 miles since I was last in the car...why did a 40 mile journey use 50 miles of range etc.

It's no different than when apple removed it from cell phones, but if you have a tech mind percent is better. As the trucks get mainstream, the guess-o-meter (miles) is better.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It's not in the release notes, but I did provide the feedback to them on reddit. Improving charge efficiency, especially at low charge rates, would be wonderful. Please test it to make sure you're actually only getting 3-5% loss and the rest actually ends up in the battery. Compare EVSE output to acceptance (some efficiency loss is ok).
It's impossible to change the level 1/2 charge rate via software, because that's simply what the circuit you are on is providing. What DID happen, is related to the work on vampire drain, and they reduced the drain of non charging related sources, which improved the net amount of energy that is going into the battery per unit of time. So yes, the rate at which the battery fills has gone up, but not because of a change in the power being delivered to the vehicle.

For example, at the full 48 amps and after the normal 7%-10% of typical charging losses, the Rivian was only about 93% efficient in getting that remaining energy into the battery on a net basis (so around 86% efficient overall). It is now 96%. But that is somewhat of a fixed drain in terms of energy, so the efficiency improvement at lower rates is massive. Level 1 was less than 50% efficient before the update for example.
Sponsored