First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
The Volvo's in my fleet have LED headlights, and are near flat to the nose of the truck..

Volvo thought of this problem ahead of time, and put a heating element in the housing.

Something that would be a simple to fix, if Rivian would do it.
Sponsored

wrightwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar, R1T
As we say on the Tesla forums, ā€œNot A California Problemā€.
As someone who does a fair amount of snow driving in the mountains, I can tell you this is very much a California problem. Mammoth finished last season with 75 feet of snowfall. Maybe our snow tends to be drier than the PNW, but we also see all kinds of snow.

There are aftermarket heated headlight replacements for Jeeps, like these ones. Maybe someone will step up and make these for Rivian soon.

OP
OP
skookumracing

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who does a fair amount of snow driving in the mountains, I can tell you this is very much a California problem. Mammoth finished last season with 75 feet of snowfall. Maybe our snow tends to be drier than the PNW, but we also see all kinds of snow.

There are aftermarket heated headlight replacements for Jeeps, like these ones. Maybe someone will step up and make these for Rivian soon.
Washington gets its fair share of wet sticky snow...

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Are the headlight housings glass or plastic? If you go the Rain-X or similar route make sure you get a product that is approved for the material. Putting the wrong stuff may not work, or at worst could damage the material.

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

The Volvo's in my fleet have LED headlights, and are near flat to the nose of the truck..

Volvo thought of this problem ahead of time, and put a heating element in the housing.

Something that would be a simple to fix, if Rivian would do it.
That would be a nice and elegant solution, but Iā€™m unsure how simple itā€™d be to implement.

Gassious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Mercedes Benz GL550
Clubs

Last edited:

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
As I head into my first ski season with my R1T (pray for snow šŸ˜Š), I do find this issue to be a bit concerning. I will be traveling into the Sierras on a regular basis and, at times, coming home late. Hope somebody finds a solution to this problem.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Has anyone tried applying one of the coatings, like Rainx to the headlights?

Sponsored

AdamEk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

Just had a full body PPF done. Did not add the full ceramic coating, but they did simple wipe/spray on ceramic... water does bead off pretty well..the flat vertical surface of the headlights doesn't help this situation..
Try some RainX?

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
Here in the PNW our snow is mostly on the warm wet and sticky side... So when driving in light to heavy snow flurries we get a lot of build up on our vehicles.. Well the R1T is no different... the big problem is at night the snow covers up the headlights and visibility goes to zero... I have experienced this twice now as we are getting into the snow season here in the Washington Cascades... Last night we had to pull over about every 3 miles to wipe off the headlights... Not fun. There is just not enough heat from the LED lights to melt off the snow. Rivian either needs to add washer nozzles (our Volvo V90 CC has these), or add heated lenses. Heated head light example, Looking a pair of these. Wonder if I could power off frunk 12vdc outlet or tap into fog lights.. Another option is to mount on forward mounted roof cross bar and power from bed outlets some how.. Also researching transparent ITO or thin wire heating element to stick on stock headlights...

I have emailed my guide with pictures and raised this as a safety issue. Will also create service ticket.... And posted here tagging RJ..

Anyway.. beware if you find yourself in wet sticky snow at night...

49ABDEB6-7801-466E-B8C2-1D585B4421B3.jpeg
EAB7009E-8684-483B-94D3-0F632A3925E3.jpeg
6E2B0424-9C21-45D3-BF25-58D24AFB58AE.jpeg
šŸ«£šŸ˜³

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anyone tried applying one of the coatings, like Rainx to the headlights?
People tried pretty much every coating known to man last winter.. no positive results IIRC.

We need heat inside the lens housing or a wiper fluid squirter at the top of the lens like some vehicles have.

A Land Rover Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, PorscheGTS, BMWi3, Tacoma Crew
I LOVE the R1s, hands down best SUV on the road!! This is a BIG problem...Rivian needs to wake up and fix it or I'm going back to a Range Rover. An adventure vehicle that can't be used in a snowstorm is not really an adventure vehicle!
Sponsored