First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Slight venting / curiosity. A few times after the truck has been sitting for a while, especially in fairly cold weather, it starts off in turtle mode. Is that normal? I don't see that in the manual. One time I drove around a parking lot, put it in park and then back in drive and it was ok. Other time it drove in turtle mode (40 mph) for about 2 minutes before turtle mode icon disappeared and it was normal. Any one else have that?

On a long trip the other day, every time I went into cruise control, it would work for about a minute then an error along the lines of "system error, cruise control unavailable" would flash and it would turn off. The word system was definitely in there. After I parked and got back in the truck, that no longer happened.

I've had the icon for tire pressure go on a couple of times since I put on snows. I find it annoying that it doesn't indicate which tire(s) are under inflated. Am I missing something on that?
Sponsored

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You can see tire pressure readouts by cycling through the left steering wheel buttons via hard press. Will cycle between efficiency, tire pressure and GPS.

Other stuff could be a 12v battery or sensor(s) issue. How long have you had the truck?

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Unless you parked with an extremely low state of charge (like 2% or lower) Turtle Mode activating in any EV is not normal.
This might be an early indication of a larger problem down the road that you might want to have the service team look at.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

31% this morning because my truck failed to charge and freezing temps over night. Reduced power but no turtle. Full regen though, so that was nice.

I got the cruise control error once last night for the first time but it let me enable it again after that and no issues. Service suggested I reboot the truck after the charging problem and I haven't done that yet.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This happened to me once but I chalked it up to hopping in, putting into Drive, and pulling away before the truck fully ā€œwoke upā€. I had all sorts of error lights pop up for a half a second including suspension issue then everything went away and the turtle remained. The truck was in kneel mode and didnā€™t automatically raise, I was still in the parking lot so I just pulled into a spot, put it into park, manually raised the suspension to standard and started driving again. Everything seemed normal after that. It had been sitting in the parking lot for 10 hours or so.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Tell us more about what happened with failed charging. Perhaps itā€™s related.
Plugged in, it didn't charge when my 7pm window came like it would normally. Don't use charge scheduling in the truck, just on the charger. Other cars haven't had issues like this before.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Plugged in, it didn't charge when my 7pm window came like it would normally. Don't use charge scheduling in the truck, just on the charger. Other cars haven't had issues like this before.
Interesting. I havenā€™t tried scheduled charging on my Rivian charger. What charger are you using? Inside or outside (since you mentioned temps)?

Works ok when insta-charging (no schedule)?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting. I havenā€™t tried scheduled charging on my Rivian charger. What charger are you using? Inside or outside (since you mentioned temps)?

Works ok when insta-charging (no schedule)?
Wallbox Pulsar plus 48A.

When I first got the Rivian it would never charge after the scheduled time came up. After one update it magically started working, but lately have been having some issues again. Don't remember which update it was. None of my other EVs have ever had difficulty with this.

It's entirely likely that there's some software bug preventing it from working *right now* that'll be fixed after a forced reboot. Night before I cycled the charger from "no charging" to "allow charging" after the window started without plugging or unplugging and it started charging just fine.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I've had the turtle icon a couple of times recently. Didn't seem to impact performance and went away within a mile or two of driving.

It hasn't been that cold here in Minnesota (compared to earlier this winter). It's only happened in the morning and I've been charged to 70%.

Sponsored

sd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250, Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Slight venting / curiosity. A few times after the truck has been sitting for a while, especially in fairly cold weather, it starts off in turtle mode. Is that normal? I don't see that in the manual. One time I drove around a parking lot, put it in park and then back in drive and it was ok. Other time it drove in turtle mode (40 mph) for about 2 minutes before turtle mode icon disappeared and it was normal. Any one else have that?

On a long trip the other day, every time I went into cruise control, it would work for about a minute then an error along the lines of "system error, cruise control unavailable" would flash and it would turn off. The word system was definitely in there. After I parked and got back in the truck, that no longer happened.

I've had the icon for tire pressure go on a couple of times since I put on snows. I find it annoying that it doesn't indicate which tire(s) are under inflated. Am I missing something on that?
I just had the same thing happen to me when I drove it this morning. Truck was sitting unplugged overnight (around 50% SoC). Turtle mode icon showed up and stayed on for a couple of minutes of driving, and then disappeared.

Also a week ago, went to start the truck and got turtle mode and battery error. Tried soft reset (left/right buttons on steering wheel), no change. Then hard reset (left button and hazards) which eventually resolved the issue.

Hoping it's not the start of a bigger problem. But I'll add this to my existing support ticket (for minor issues) for them to look into.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Wallbox Pulsar plus 48A.

When I first got the Rivian it would never charge after the scheduled time came up. After one update it magically started working, but lately have been having some issues again. Don't remember which update it was. None of my other EVs have ever had difficulty with this.

It's entirely likely that there's some software bug preventing it from working *right now* that'll be fixed after a forced reboot. Night before I cycled the charger from "no charging" to "allow charging" after the window started without plugging or unplugging and it started charging just fine.
Of the three variables: R1, wallbox, human: It sounds like a wallbox glitch. One other possibility is your R1 is in a deep sleep and doesnā€™t recognize the charging handshake.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Of the three variables: R1, wallbox, human: It sounds like a wallbox glitch. One other possibility is your R1 is in a deep sleep and doesnā€™t recognize the charging handshake.
It's just a change in the PWM signal and the Rivian isn't catching it for some reason. I also had an instance where the truck stopped charging on it's own this week after already starting in this same configuration.

Rivian R1T R1S Turtle mode; cruise control error; tire pressure icon 1674236043565

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

It's just a change in the PWM signal and the Rivian isn't catching it for some reason. I also had an instance where the truck stopped charging on it's own this week after already starting in this same configuration.

1674236043565.png
Sounds about right. I had some glitchy charging handshake issues when connecting. Eventually failing and getting the red failure led ring. The SC ended up replacing the charging unit on my R1. Itā€™s been fine since.

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
You can see tire pressure readouts by cycling through the left steering wheel buttons via hard press. Will cycle between efficiency, tire pressure and GPS.

Other stuff could be a 12v battery or sensor(s) issue. How long have you had the truck?
Huh, I have to try that. Thank you. I did notice efficiency over there on the left one time and wasn't sure how that had happened lol
Sponsored