Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
thanks for the description. cool video.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yes. 3/3 for the HD Diesel Luxury Tractor.
Because it's heavier. Given sufficient tire traction, weight is pretty much the only thing that matters in these tug-of-wars. If the Tremor's tires had been bald or something, it might have lost, but power had very little to do with it. (Above a certain figure, of course. I mean, load up a 2WD 1990 F-350 to be heavier than the Rivian, and it will still lose; but any modern high-torque truck? It's all about weight.)

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
What I don't understand is with traction control off, why aren't all 4 tires just doing a burnout? Driver perfectly feathering the throttle to the point of no slipping?
It’s torque limited. Not enough torque to spin the tires.

the final drive ratio in the Rivian is so small that it doesn’t put all that much torque to the ground (compared to many less powerful vehicles with much larger gearing)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Because it's heavier. Given sufficient tire traction, weight is pretty much the only thing that matters in these tug-of-wars. If the Tremor's tires had been bald or something, it might have lost, but power had very little to do with it. (Above a certain figure, of course. I mean, load up a 2WD 1990 F-350 to be heavier than the Rivian, and it will still lose; but any modern high-torque truck? It's all about weight.)
That makes sense. I know we have seen some other tug-o-wars where a Rivian seemed to punch above its chonky weight, which is impressive. I sure didn’t think it could move that F350 diesel. Still fun to watch it try!

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
This "test" is very lame. With low range and enough weight, most ice trucks will win this test. The gearing advantage is too much.

Sponsored

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

First of all, I have put over 12,000 miles on my R1T in 5 months and I still love it today. For an all around vehicle nothing beats it.

As shown in our previous 4x4 roller test video, the quad motor could use a transfer case or even some sort of "simulated locker" to really perform excellent in low speed crawl scenarios. Understandably this wasn't designed to be a rock crawler. Handling and traction control is amazing at medium to high speeds in offroad scenarios which is a compromise I am willing to accept. (but still frustrating only because I know it can be better)

In the beginning of the video we go over our tug of war setup (because safety is important) while simultaneously promoting our product. If you want to skip straight to the 3 pulls we did they start around 3:45 mark. ENJOY!!!

It appears in the video the strap is not parallel to the ground, and based on the angle it gives Ford an advantage. Its hard to see, could you confirm?

If that is the case Ford is "lifting" Rivian off the ground and transferring its weight onto itself.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
Should have done it in sport for full power and torque. Maybe even a launch...

PK

OP
OP
Dirtcom_AJ

Dirtcom_AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Automotive Design
What I don't understand is with traction control off, why aren't all 4 tires just doing a burnout? Driver perfectly feathering the throttle to the point of no slipping?
The Rivian computer is still doing something even with "traction control off"... its just too smart to let us have fun.

Are you developing sliders? Nice work on the spare carrier. Bookmarked.
Thanks! At the moment we are not developing sliders. There are already really nice ones on the market.

Because it's heavier. Given sufficient tire traction, weight is pretty much the only thing that matters in these tug-of-wars.
This is not true. The 2021 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed has a curb weight of 6,769 lbs which is technically LIGHTER THAN THE RIVIAN.

the final drive ratio in the Rivian is so small that it doesn’t put all that much torque to the ground (compared to many less powerful vehicles with much larger gearing)
I believe this is partially true. The Rivian has an axle ratio of 12.6:1 and is said to produce 10,300 lb-ft of "ground torque." Compared to a standard 2wd ICE vehicle this is alot. Compared to a diesel 4x4 with a transfer case its only about a 1/3 of the power to the wheels.

It appears in the video the strap is not parallel to the ground, and based on the angle it gives Ford an advantage. Its hard to see, could you confirm?

If that is the case Ford is "lifting" Rivian off the ground and transferring its weight onto itself.
Yes good eye. This was a concern of mine before the test and I was going to adjust the strap height if necessary. However, the rear tires in the Rivian did not even spin which means they still had full traction. So we did not bother to change the strap height.

Should have done it in sport for full power and torque. Maybe even a launch...
If you watch the video on pull 2 and 3 I actually did do this. With the previous knowledge from our 4x4 roller test I didn't slowly floor the pedal. I quickly slammed the throttle pedal which is what gave the Rivian the initial edge! You can actually see the Rivian pull the Ford a few inches in the beginning.

Unfortunately even with "traction off" I believe the computers are still doing something to limit wheel spin.

OP
OP
Dirtcom_AJ

Dirtcom_AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Automotive Design
That makes sense. I know we have seen some other tug-o-wars where a Rivian seemed to punch above its chonky weight, which is impressive. I sure didn’t think it could move that F350 diesel. Still fun to watch it try!
The Ford has a curb weight of 6,769 lbs so it is NOT heavier than the Rivian. Yes still impressive. If you watch closely on pull 2 and 3 the Rivian actually pulls the Tremor back. My conclusion from this test is that even with "traction control off" the computers are still limiting wheel speed!

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The Ford has a curb weight of 6,769 lbs so it is NOT heavier than the Rivian. Yes still impressive. If you watch closely on pull 2 and 3 the Rivian actually pulls the Tremor back. My conclusion from this test is that even with "traction control off" the computers are still limiting wheel speed!
That would also make sense. I know you have done quite a bit of testing on the Rivian so you would know better than I would. I’m curious if you tried other drive modes for the pull Than what we saw in the video?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

This is not true. The 2021 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed has a curb weight of 6,769 lbs which is technically LIGHTER THAN THE RIVIAN.
The Tremor package adds some weight. The F-350 SRW, SWB, 4x4 is 7,481 lbs *BEFORE* the Tremor package add-on. Rivian's curb weight is 7,148 lbs. (Humorous that the numbers are the same in different order, I had to triple-check I had them right.)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The biggest single factor here is the the tire contact patch and tire composition. For this to be an apples to apples test, you need the same tire compound and contact patch size on both vehicles. And yes, you do allude to that near the end. To illustrate the concept, imagine the F350 with bicycle tires. Hopefully everyone agrees that the Rivian would have won that competition hands down. So while this was a fun demonstration, it doesn't really prove much.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Despite the differences in tires and surface area contacting the ground, the T rarely broke traction often having wheels rotating backwards, so I think that's about as fair a test as it could be. Despite the loss, I love watching videos that test the limits, this and the roller test video you guys did were super informative.
Cheers.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It’s torque limited. Not enough torque to spin the tires.

It's likely that the Rivian torque limiting is implemented to prevent overheating of the motors/inverters and/or mechanical damage to the drive train. In the 3rd test, you can see that the front wheels are spinning forward for a bit while the rear are turning backwards, and then it appears that the front wheels "give up" and start turning backwards. From a programming viewpoint, if you are commanding all four wheels forward, but detect one or more are turning backwards, you know something is not working, and limiting torque is a smart preventative step.
Sponsored