Sponsored

Truck gone before 2 weeks

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've read that happy owners don't post - only the bad stories make it to the forums.

I thoroughly enjoy the R1T. It handles like a racecar in corners, accelerates like a supercar, and rides like a nice sedan. I am a happy owner, but that may change.

Received the truck on July 15th. 81xx VIN. On July 21st the hood latch produced errors and has produced an error constantly since - it needs to be fixed.

This morning (July 28th), the dreaded, contact a tow truck error showed with an all wheel drive permanently engaged error stating the vehicle was disabled. After consultation with support and a hard reboot, the errors cleared and I drove to work.

At the end of working in the office and heading out to the truck, the same errors re-appeared: tow truck, all wheel drive permanently engaged, and disabled vehicle error. A new error was added too: motor fault detected.

Again, consultation with support and a reboot - was able to drive home after coordinating with my better half on picking up the kiddos.

Service has been very nice, and I just received my rental car notice in email. Looks like my R1T is being picked up to be taken to Brooklyn.

Didn't make it 2 weeks or over 250 miles. Love the truck - hope to get the Rivian back soon and without issue.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've read that happy owners don't post - only the bad stories make it to the forums.

I thoroughly enjoy the R1T. It handles like a racecar in corners, accelerates like a supercar, and rides like a nice sedan. I am a happy owner, but that may change.

Received the truck on July 15th. 81xx VIN. On July 21st the hood latch produced errors and has produced an error constantly since - it needs to be fixed.

This morning (July 28th), the dreaded, contact a tow truck error showed with an all wheel drive permanently engaged error stating the vehicle was disabled. After consultation with support and a hard reboot, the errors cleared and I drove to work.

At the end of working in the office and heading out to the truck, the same errors re-appeared: tow truck, all wheel drive permanently engaged, and disabled vehicle error. A new error was added too: motor fault detected.

Again, consultation with support and a reboot - was able to drive home after coordinating with my better half on picking up the kiddos.

Service has been very nice, and I just received my rental car notice in email. Looks like my R1T is being picked up to be taken to Brooklyn.

Didn't make it 2 weeks or over 250 miles. Love the truck - hope to get the Rivian back soon and without issue.
That is a bummer but every now and then things happen. Bought my Jeep GC in 2014, first week was driving and the transmission cooler line failed, left a 3 mile trail of transmission fluid on the road before it stopped. Had to have it towed away, got it back a couple of days later, still have it and has not failed me since.

Hope you will be able to share a similar story with your R1T.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Yep, that sucks to hear. Totally agree about only mostly bad news making the forum. Put myself in the happy category at least for now. I’m making up reasons to drive places just to get more drive time (I typically hate road time). Hope you’re happy as can be soon!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Keep the Rivian faith!

Keep us posted on the root cause of your issues.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Early adopter tax.....again.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Love your attitude mate! The world would be a much better place if we could all have your positivity. Sorry you're going through so much crap with a car you clearly love. I admire you early adopters. You're living on the "bleeding edge" of this new tech. I read about all the issues new owners are facing. Not all of them but enough for me to be concerned. This helps me be a bit more ok with the long wait. Im ok with getting my R1S a bit later as long as the quirks are worked out. All the best!

OP
OP

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Early adopter tax.....again.
I was a bit optimistic it seems - I was expecting issues, but was thinking more along the lines of software glitches and UI quirks. Hardware was not on my list.
However, maybe this isn't a hardware issue - time will tell.

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
I've had similar issues with my hood, at times it doesn't want to close if the truck is not completely level. Otherwise, my truck has been mostly flawless.
Hope your truck issues are resolved.

OP
OP

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hello all - appreciate the sentiments and support.

Short version

I am working on getting a rental car and the tow driver arrived over 90 minutes late. The tow driver had zero experience with Rivian's, so putting the truck in flatbed mode and coordinating the logistics of how to handle that was up to me. Generally speaking, the loading seemed to go without a "hitch" (bad dad joke) and the truck is traveling to Brooklyn.

Long version:

I hope to be able to get a rental car soon. However, apparently, my local area is overwhelmed with needs and I do not yet have a confirmation of a date and time to get a vehicle. Rivian coordinated the confirmation of the rental company and vehicle (no Rivian's available as the loaner) via email, but I am now at the whim of the car rental company. Rivian offered a rideshare service to get to the rental car company if needed. (edit: for those that have privately asked - no, Rivian does not provide any stipend for gas)

As for the tow experience - it was not optimal - Rivian's side seem to be well done minus the company they outsourced to do the job.

For details, several emails were sent from Rivian around midnight, as well as text messages with a status of when to expect the tow truck to arrive at the agreed upon location of pickup (my house). A link to a website was provided very early this morning to track the status of the tow's arrival. The website has a "minutes" area where a number is provided (divide by 60 yourself to get the number of hours for an ETA).

The tow driver was supposed to arrive at 1000. I received a call from the tow company's dispatch at 0950 indicating the driver would arrive shortly. Upon checking the link shared from Rivian, the status was changed from a number of minutes to "soon". All seemed good, but my definition of soon is not over 90 minutes later.

The tow truck arrived around 1135. At 1102 Rivian texted my phone asking if the service provider had arrived. "It's important to us that you're taken care of. Reply "Y" if yes, "N" if not yet." After immediately responding N, an automated response of "Thanks, we'll contact your provider for an update right away. Reply '1' if they arrive on the site in the meantime."

At 1130, a new Rivian text number sent the following:
Ensuring your vehicle's delivery to the proper tow destination is important to us. Has your vehicle been: A) delivered to (or in transit to) Brooklyn B) been towed elsewhere, C) didn't require a tow after all or D) still waiting for the service to arrive. Reply A, B, C, or D.

With a quick response of D, another message was sent with an apology and to call the service provider or Rivian's support. Not having much success with getting in touch with the dispatch since 0950, I ended up calling Rivian Support. In the last 30ish hours I have spoken with 3 different Rivian support personnel. Each was always pleasant and actually helpful. During this call, the tow truck arrived.

The tow truck driver did not have any experience with Rivian vehicles. Our driveway has quite a slant down to the street, so it was an exercise to properly secure the truck and get it on to the flatbed without any issues. I had seen the service menu during my exploration of the truck's UI, and was able to figure out how to enable the flatbed mode and safely get the truck loaded without it rolling out of control. After giving a small tutorial to the tow driver on how to lock and unlock the R1T with the keycard, the truck was off to Brooklyn.

Rivian R1T R1S Truck gone before 2 weeks 20220729_120215

While loading the truck, I discovered a small new issue on the underside of the truck. This underbody-ish panel under the driver's side door is not fully "seated". The Passenger side does not sag like this one on the driver's side. An attempt was made to get it back in place, but it did not click, snap, or stay. Assuming a simple fix, but just sharing in case others come across the same.
Rivian R1T R1S Truck gone before 2 weeks 20220729_120137

Hopefully this small issue, the hood latch issue, and the motor/drive issues are all quickly fixed.

Last edited:

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
FYI - Rivian has a commercial acct with enterprise. With a health daily stipend. Enterprise basically told me I could rent anything they have.

I was able to rent an EV from the enterprise exoctics collection. LOL.

Currently hammering around town a polestar 2.

Very weird car.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had a similar issue and had to wait over a week before a rental was available at my local Enterprise. No exotic or EV options here but I did pretty much have my pick of what was available and got a 4Runner.

I, too, had to teach my pickup tow truck driver how to load the vehicle and it didn’t instill much confidence in the whole process but everything worked out. Two weeks later, I got my truck dropped back off at my house with no damage and no longer leaking hydraulic dampening fluid. Strangely, I was more excited to get my car back than I was the day it was originally delivered - maybe because I knew what I was missing.

OP
OP

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Called Rivian this morning which resulted in a 35 minute wait before getting someone. That was the first time I waited for more than a minute. Apparently the phone system for all of Rivian locations in the US was out this morning which caused some problems (as could be imagined).

After speaking with support, who unsuccessfully attempted to get in touch with the Brooklyn service center today (phone issue related or not unknown), there is no news about the R1T issues. Looking at the app several times a day since Friday, I watched the truck travel up highway 295 and it appears it hasn't moved since Friday (almost 6pm EST on Monday at the time of this post).

On the Enterprise rental car front, I was able to get a car. Unfortunately it is saturated in Nicotine and is unusable for transporting my family or showing up to work, but I didn't have any choice at the time. After calling 6 different enterprise locations today, I am SOL with an option to switch. Will get back at it tomorrow to try to find something. Sounded like Wednesday was a more likely option.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

FYI - Rivian has a commercial acct with enterprise. With a health daily stipend. Enterprise basically told me I could rent anything they have.

I was able to rent an EV from the enterprise exoctics collection. LOL.

Currently hammering around town a polestar 2.

Very weird car.
Sounds like you had more choice than me. Just picked up my rental and I had a choice of a Charger or a Frontier. I opted for the Frontier, compared to the Rivian it feels like it doesn't even have power steering lol.. No dice on an EV for me but pretty small Enterprise location.

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Sounds like you had more choice than me. Just picked up my rental and I had a choice of a Charger or a Frontier. I opted for the Frontier, compared to the Rivian it feels like it doesn't even have power steering lol.. No dice on an EV for me but pretty small Enterprise location.
To make you feel better. The polestar had slow leak since I got it, well today it decided to give up. I found the nail lodged in the tread. Enterprise gave me the option of switch out car or drive to a tire shop and wait for it to get fixed for free. Really loving getting other care fixed while mine is getting fixed.

I even updated the polestar operating system. Which hadn’t been updated in over a year. CarPlay appeared though so that was a win.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
To make you feel better. The polestar had slow leak since I got it, well today it decided to give up. I found the nail lodged in the tread. Enterprise gave me the option of switch out car or drive to a tire shop and wait for it to get fixed for free. Really loving getting other care fixed while mine is getting fixed.

I even updated the polestar operating system. Which hadn’t been updated in over a year. CarPlay appeared though so that was a win.
My coworker had is model 3 performance in the shop and was given a polestar. I thought the interior was fairly nice. It was strange how small the windows were for such a big car. It was stranger how tall the car feels- its offroad ready!
Sponsored