Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Has Rivian announced whether they are going to take trade-ins? And how would that work? Seems like it can only delay your order if you did have a trade-in.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
No official word, yet.

Used vehicle pricing changes so often that no one is going to want to honor a quote for months... So they're probably only going to want to give an offer that's good for 7-14 days (typical in industry). 30 days would be extremely generous.

So, no, I don't expect trades -- if Rivian chooses to accept them -- to cause any delays for finalizing orders.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think the Cox Automotive investment & partnership could play into this. Regardless, we should have more info soon...deliveries start in June, so finalizing orders/financing/trade in will happen before then.

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you look at "How do I schedule delivery?" on the support pages, there is an offhand comment about trades...

How do I schedule delivery?
We’ll be in touch when it’s time to finalize your purchase, including applying for financing, trade-in your current vehicle and complete any remaining documents. At that time, you’ll also be able to schedule your delivery from your Rivian Account. Please note that we’ll reach out when it’s time to prepare for delivery based on your configuration, location and when you placed your preorder — this can’t be requested through Customer Service.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I imaging that it will work in a similar way to how carmax does it. You fill out a form online and get an estimate value. Then you take your car to a carmax store. They take lots of photos and upload them to the interweb. Then they tell you if the estimate was high, low, or right on. Then you decide if you'll accept their offer.

I just sold my wife's 2007 Honda Fit to Carmax. The sales paperwork took longer than the valuation part.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Recommend selling with online stores like AutoNation, Vroom, Carvana etc.
Sold a Toy 4RUNNER that way and got a very reasonable offer in minutes.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I imagine they'll do it like Tesla does. You'll fill out a form, upload pictures, and CarMax or another dealer they partner with will make you an offer. I know at one point when I was trading in my car with Tesla they allowed you getting an outside written offer and if you provided them that their trade in dealer would match it to make the process easier for you.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I imagine they'll do it like Tesla does. You'll fill out a form, upload pictures, and CarMax or another dealer they partner with will make you an offer. I know at one point when I was trading in my car with Tesla they allowed you getting an outside written offer and if you provided them that their trade in dealer would match it to make the process easier for you.
I filled out the form with Tesla and an employee texted me, refused to give a trade offer, and said I had to either buy from them in 3 days or they'd blacklist me from buying for at least a couple months.

Tesla, as a company, is operating on such a b.s. level it boggles my mind.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I filled out the form with Tesla and an employee texted me, refused to give a trade offer, and said I had to either buy from them in 3 days or they'd blacklist me from buying for at least a couple months.

Tesla, as a company, is operating on such a b.s. level it boggles my mind.
WTF! That's just bs... next time contact your guide directly.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
FYI, I emailed Rivian about trades and they will take them, details to follow as they get closer to delivery.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Recommend selling with online stores like AutoNation, Vroom, Carvana etc.
Sold a Toy 4RUNNER that way and got a very reasonable offer in minutes.
I have been debating this vs trading in to Rivian. How does the online store offer compare to trade in value?

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I have been debating this vs trading in to Rivian. How does the online store offer compare to trade in value?
I just sold my car to Vroom, and it was shockingly easy. You fill out the description of the car online and you get a quote from them via email (it took about 15-20 minutes to receive). If you accept it, then they send some documents via Docusign for you to agree to the transaction. Within the next week or so, you get some papers via FedEx (Power of Attorney and some other stuff). Sign and return in the enclosed FedEx overnight envelope. The next day, they contacted me with the company that would come to my house to pickup the car (they came a few days later, calling first to arrange a time). They picked up my at about noon on a Tuesday, and by Wednesday morning I had a FedEx envelope with the check. They handled the payoff of the lien with the bank as well.

The downside vs. trading in (at least in Georgia) is you lose the tax benefit of the trade in. Georgia imposes a title ad valorem tax at the time of purchase at 7% of the purchase price (in lieu of a sales tax). If you trade in a car, you only pay the tax on the net difference in price. So if you sell a car that you could have gotten $20k in a trade, you're giving up the $1.4k of reduced TAVT ($20k x 7%).

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I used AutoNation recently to unload a Toy 4RUNNER. The web portal was super-easy to use and generated a real (firm) quote in a matter of moments. Yes, the vehicle specs and condition need to be confirmed during the transferal. But if you input honest data you will get a legit offer quickly.

Found out that "AutoNation" is some kind of affiliate of numerous car dealerships across the country. I don't want to call it a fake online sales entity because I did the deal online. However, the physical transaction of legal paperwork and vehicle hand-over happened at a local dealership (BMW actually). The person handled it professionally. No pressure to buy anything from them or try to fold it into an in-house deal. I left with a check in hand.

Other more virtual entities may be more convenient like entirely done from the driveway. Just saying that I was happy with my AutoNation experience. The offer was very fair and no "bait and switch" tactics arose.
Sponsored