First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I've towed alot of different size trailers with my Avalanche, and also previously with two Suburbans. The Avalanche has the factory tow package, the mirrors are only a bit larger and have turn signal indicators in them. They are not extendable. I think I may have seen factory extended mirrors on some of the larger GMC trucks (3500/4500) and F350/450, but don't recall seeing them on standard 1/2 ton trucks.

As @pc500 said, I've never felt that I needed extended mirrors. My boat that I tow regularly has a 98" beam (width for you land lubbers) and I recently towed a refrigerated trailer that was 92" wide. I never thought once about any visibility issues.

I don't think it's at all unusual that Rivian promotes the towing capability but does not offer extended mirrors.

My brewery has an Isuzu NPR Box truck that I drive on occasion. While the mirrors are extended like any other box truck, you still can't see small cars centered directly behind you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I've personally used these for the last five years with the Tacoma, which is about 4" more narrow than a Rivian. The greater width of the Rivian will actually make them "see more".

Most decidedly *not* elegant, and not wide enough to see what is directly behind you (see below). But totally adequate for safe lane changing, etc. I like them because they are temporary. I spend 15 seconds taking them off upon arrival for local driving.

They don't interfere with blind spot indicators and move with the face of the existing mirror so they are "adjustable". Based on the Rivians camera locations it doesn't seem like they will interfere with it's cameras. Not sure about any other sensors.

But there is no getting around the build/quality contrast of these mirrors and that of a $75-95k vehicle. ?

As for back-up cameras, there are several remote rear view/backup camera options. Some connect to dedicated monitors. Some to iOs and Android devices. I've never used one or had a desire for one although I can think of situations that they would be helpful. Most metro areas for example.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Iā€™m using these. Takes like 20 seconds to remove both, they fold up right along with the car mirror when I lock the car. They stick out far enough since the trailer is wider than the car, allows me to see quite well to the rear on both sides. I leave them on the car if we are just stopping for the night..otherwise I stash them in the car so no one can take them.
Rivian R1T R1S Towing -- real life 1CCD0951-5D64-4133-B63A-3B5821A4EEDB

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
I asked Taxa about "a trailer to charge my car as I towed " & they said they weren't planning anything like that. Also: it's probably a big jump to get an electric car to charge while it's moving down the road. Taxa is still my #1 choice for slow old people (me & missus), but there are some interesting things on the design horizon. Nothing available yet, but...
-
Here's a lightweight escape pod from Colorado Teardrops. I take points off for their low profile tire rendering, but GreenCarReports gave them a review.
-
An August 2021 review of a German proof-of-concept e-trailer from Dethleffs.
-
Another escape pod concept from Polydrops. They seem much farther along than the others.
Real tires, real movies, very lightweight.
-
I've seen some good looking heavy-duty caravans coming out of Australia, but what have you seen there that'll be lightweight & aerodynamic?
Those are some nice campers/caravans. I did stumble across the Dethleffs when I started looking into the idea of an electric trailer. I hope it and others like it go well.

For me, I've currently got my Subaru + a large covered box trailer that I use for various things. I want to be able to do that with an R1S as well to some degree. I do some long distance trips with the trailer so as much range as possible would be good, especially as towing we impact the range - just like mileage plummets now. Having something to assist the process would be nice.

I haven't got a caravan and I'm not sure if I will get one. I've certainly seen some excellent looking off road caravans going around, but as Australia is currently so damn backward wrt EVs, etc (our politicians make luddites look like geniuses), I very much doubt there's anyone even seriously contemplating it.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I've towed alot of different size trailers with my Avalanche, and also previously with two Suburbans. The Avalanche has the factory tow package, the mirrors are only a bit larger and have turn signal indicators in them. They are not extendable. I think I may have seen factory extended mirrors on some of the larger GMC trucks (3500/4500) and F350/450, but don't recall seeing them on standard 1/2 ton trucks.

As @pc500 said, I've never felt that I needed extended mirrors. My boat that I tow regularly has a 98" beam (width for you land lubbers) and I recently towed a refrigerated trailer that was 92" wide. I never thought once about any visibility issues.

I don't think it's at all unusual that Rivian promotes the towing capability but does not offer extended mirrors.

My brewery has an Isuzu NPR Box truck that I drive on occasion. While the mirrors are extended like any other box truck, you still can't see small cars centered directly behind you.
I used to tow the race car with a Avalanche. the brakes weā€™re so undersized, itā€™s was scary coming down the I15 grade. Screw that. Sold it and bought a big Ford.
I hope the Rivainā€™s brakes are better than the Avalanche.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

My brewery has an Isuzu NPR Box truck that I drive on occasion.
I canā€™t get past this part. One of us is on the wrong coast.

Last edited:

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Living in the proverbial boonies, I want the range if I tow, so I hope to end up with a narrow, lightweight trailer - no wider than the R1T. That way, I'll still have a little bit of mirror sticking out.

I'd want to look for back-of-trailer camera systems, too. Rivian might be more interested to talk about integrated camera solutions than re-designed mirrors.
https://bowlus.com/terra-firma/

Here you go. Only 80" wide, 4000 lbs GVWR, boondocking ready, and one of the most aerodynamic TT on the road. Plus it would look pretty cool behind your R1T as well. Higher end models are also available with more advanced battery and WiFi. Costs a bit more than the Yakima RTT, but you can't take it with you. :piggybank:

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
We regularly have challenging short and long haul boat tows and have done so with fully equipped HD tow Sierra 1500 6.2L with airbags and tow mirrors, and my wifeā€™s Cayenne. This includes a 90-mile tow over and back on the Continental Divide at 11kā€˜ peak elevation, and a 1200 mile tow to and from Sandpoint, ID and Denver, CO.

While the Cayenne does extremely well with a 7700 lb tow capacity, it has smaller side mirrors and a much lesser footprint. Both make towing a bit more stressful, especially for long hauls or for tight parking/backups/pull throughs. I have yet had to do evasive maneuvers, but a larger wheelbase would be welcomed here. I would also not do the 1200 mile tow with the Cayenne.

When in doubt, I would always choose a bigger, fully kitted tow rig. That said, the Rivian will do well for short and intermediate tows given its heavier weight, lower center of gravity, strong motors and torque, and capable braking. As others note, due to itā€™s medium size, even the OEM side mirrors should be OK, and if dumbo ears are needed, the clip ons are good solutions.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing -- real life 4C5ED9E2-1BF7-4742-AF08-31C7DB786CB5
Rivian R1T R1S Towing -- real life A69FCE72-C5A4-4106-B658-47213F46482F

Last edited:

thehodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MS Raven
https://bowlus.com/terra-firma/

Here you go. Only 80" wide, 4000 lbs GVWR, boondocking ready, and one of the most aerodynamic TT on the road. Plus it would look pretty cool behind your R1T as well. Higher end models are also available with more advanced battery and WiFi. Costs a bit more than the Yakima RTT, but you can't take it with you. :piggybank:
Yep, that's the one.
Heated floors & automatic dog scratchers. I saw the Aēsop soap...
If the luck is with me, my evacuation plan will be a bit more than half as long
& less than half the weight of the Bowlus (bolus).

For the ultimate party vehicle, there's still the EarthRoamer.
Put that in front of the Bowlus, add a wind-generator to the top & drive fast.
Cats in the truck, dogs in the trailer, drinks on the roof.
With the after-market pontoon paddles, we could take the polar route to Iceland.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I used to tow the race car with a Avalanche. the brakes weā€™re so undersized, itā€™s was scary coming down the I15 grade. Screw that. Sold it and bought a big Ford.
I hope the Rivainā€™s brakes are better than the Avalanche.
I have not had any concerns about braking capacity. My trailers rated over 3000 lbs gross have surge or electric brakes, as required by law. Several times a year, I tow my boat (twin axle with surge brakes) down a 2.5 mile hill at 8% grade. No problems at all.

Obviously I don't know anything about your race car or trailer, but unless you have a Formula Vee, Caterham, or similar, and a lightweight trailer, seems to me that you are over the "trailer brakes required" gross weight?
Sponsored