Sponsored

Tonneau Redesign Ready???

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Just watched this Autogefuhl car review of the new ranger raptor with their auto tonneau. Skip to approx 5:40 to see it in action. Super fast and smooth. Don’t know why Rivian couldn’t have done what seems to be a roller style like this from the start.

Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
That's really cool how that tonneau works. Doesn't look like it lost any bed length/space as well. Hopefully Rivian can implement something similar for the fix.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This power cover looks like it takes up a similar amount of space as rivian’s one.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah a slat one with a tight rolling system would work much better than what we have.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Just watched this Autogefuhl car review of the new ranger raptor with their auto tonneau. Skip to approx 5:40 to see it in action. Super fast and smooth. Don’t know why Rivian couldn’t have done what seems to be a roller style like this from the start.
Probably an off-the-shelf Retrax product. Proven tambour design with many years behind it.

Why didn’t Rivian use this? Technical hubris combined with inexperience. Same issue that underpins many Rivian problems.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Probably an off-the-shelf Retrax product. Proven tambour design with many years behind it.

Why didn’t Rivian use this? Technical hubris combined with inexperience. Same issue that underpins many Rivian problems.

Could have also been concerns with patent infringement.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Could have also been concerns with patent infringement.
I’m sure they would have licensed to Rivian. I would have paid a bit more than the $1500 to have something reliable and working. Now I’m in a position where I’m basically forced to get a manual version or wait for likely a long time till they figure out a new auto version. Bummer.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
No, just buy it from Retrax, as does Ford.
Sure buy or license and build that proven design, sure. Copy it without a license agreement is not something they would or should do.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Technical hubris combined with inexperience. Same issue that underpins many Rivian problems.
Agreed, just like their short sighted idea to reinvent the wheel using their own NAV system locking out Google maps and Waze. Same with "ours is better" infotainment locking out CP and AA, and even SXM which is absolutely ridiculous considering it's an "adventure" vehicle designed to go outside cell coverage yet it relies on cell coverage for infotainment. It's almost like a bad joke that somebody didn't get.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Did they fix your sagging suspension issue? I had the same problem in the same spot, got it back yesterday. They wrote "needed calibration" it appears to be working fine, though I swear it is still lower sometimes. Probably paranoid.
I'm actually dropping it off tomorrow at the SC. I'll update you once I get it back.

Bearmountain

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 cts, 2000 dakota r/t
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical, General Contractor
Sure buy or license and build that proven design, sure. Copy it without a license agreement is not something they would or should do.
The rolling system takes up many more cubic inches which would have compromised the gear tunnel, which is pretty handy. Let's give them a chance their pretty inventive guys, I mean persons.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

And that was that. 3 weeks and 5 cycles later, the tonneau cover is broken again.

:mad:
Sponsored