Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T C63 AMG Honda S2000 E92 M3
Occupation
Logistics
Clubs

Mine didnt just stop. It got jammed and those individual plates started to separate. It was quite the mess. This was around 5500 miles. I've had my new motor for about two weeks and used it maybe 3x. This might all be in my head but I don't like the way the track sounds when it closes. So I just leave it all the way open unless I need to cover something.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I watched a MKBHD video about the Hummer EV and noticed their tonneau operation was silent and smooth. Is that a roller-style tonneau?

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
I watched a MKBHD video about the Hummer EV and noticed their tonneau operation was silent and smooth. Is that a roller-style tonneau?
Yes. It's a fairly standard roll and lock system.

Rivian's as far as I know is a entirely new design as it folds and stacks which likely allows too much space for little bits to invade as it folds creating more failure points.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The Hummer cover is already on version two as well. Mine was one of the first delivered and it had issues that required recalibration every couple days. Never completely jammed up but it wouldn't close properly without recalibration unless you manhandled it closed while it was trying.

It also rolls up and eats up a significant portion of the bed space.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
What's clear to me from this thread is that Rivian is very much using Tesla's playbook, with the sales advisors knowing pretty much nothing and feeling free to make up whatever they want. "Congrats, you have the NEW AND IMPROVED tonneau! Oh, wait, it's broken?"

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
The fact that newly built trucks are still having lots of problems doesn't bode well for the rest of us to get ours fixed any time soon, either. Service centers will be overwhelmed with vehicles to replace these parts on. I can't imagine it's going to be a quick/easy replacement of parts, either. Quite unfortunate. I'm certainly happier to have a truck with a broken tonneau than no truck, but I don't like that I can't fully utilize it as a truck, as I was hoping, either.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The fact that newly built trucks are still having lots of problems doesn't bode well for the rest of us to get ours fixed any time soon, either. Service centers will be overwhelmed with vehicles to replace these parts on. I can't imagine it's going to be a quick/easy replacement of parts, either. Quite unfortunate. I'm certainly happier to have a truck with a broken tonneau than no truck, but I don't like that I can't fully utilize it as a truck, as I was hoping, either.
My early VIN 1500 vin had a perfect tonneu cover....no issues, quiet....a loaner in 2500 range was loud and made a big "pop" noise when it got fully open.....had my new truck since June.....have never opened the cover...scared to death.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Rivian needs to wake upon and drop the ill-fated tonneau cover entirely. The did make both tonneaus an option as opposed to included. Now they need to drop them completely and get on with making trucks.

I dropped the tonneau from my order. I realize that this may delay my order, but I would not want a brand-new truck with a known mechanical problem.

Wake up Rivian and dump the tonneau!

Brian

CPolism

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad, Ford Edge
Occupation
Risk Management
Clubs

Rivian needs to wake upon and drop the ill-fated tonneau cover entirely. The did make both tonneaus an option as opposed to included. Now they need to drop them completely and get on with making trucks.

I dropped the tonneau from my order. I realize that this may delay my order, but I would not want a brand-new truck with a known mechanical problem.

Brian
I’m perfectly fine with the manual option, but I’m assuming I won‘t get my truck for a while as they aren’t even producing them yet. I don’t even get how the manual isn’t being produced. With all the mechanical issues, you’d think the manual is the next best thing rather than producing faulty covers with no fix (aside from rumors) in sight.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Since doing surgery on my tonneau and fixing my wedged panels, I've had good luck by just encouraging it every time I open it. My encouragement is just steady pressure on the driver's side of the last panel pushing toward the cab as they get pulled into the stack.

Maybe this is all in my head. Maybe I'm not actually doing anything except putting undue stress on the motor, but it works for me. I'll report back if it ever stops.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian needs to wake up and drop the ill-fated tonneau cover entirely. The did make both tonneaus an option as opposed to included. Now they need to drop them completely and get on with making trucks.

Brian
There are people (including myself) who have "manual Tonneau" chosen in their configuration. Why not pause the motorized tonneau builds while redesigning the system and at least fulfill those orders (even delivering the truck w/no tonneau with a promise for the manual panels to be shipped later) vs. sending out trucks with known faulty very expensive equipment that will need to by replaced later?

I just can't understand the logic behind sending out known bad equipment when you have the option to not do that and still satisfy at least a portion of your customers that you will need to build for later anyway?

A massive waste of investor $$$ going on right now... not a well run company at this point and the stock reflects that.

Last edited:

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I don't think the manual tonneau design is finished. At least I've not heard of anybody seeing one. Even if the design is complete, and they are testing units, they still need to productionize the build of them and add them to the truck build process.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I don't think the manual tonneau design is finished. At least I've not heard of anybody seeing one. Even if the design is complete, and they are testing units, they still need to productionize the build of them and add them to the truck build process.
Then ship with no tonneau and a solution to retrofit down the road.

Shipping an expensive broken product is a massive waste. They will get sued over this as soon as the class gets big enough for a lawyer to make it worth it. It will then cost all of the broken tonneaus, litigation, new tonneaus, etc.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Then ship with no tonneau and a solution to retrofit down the road.

Shipping an expensive broken product is a massive waste. They will get sued over this as soon as the class gets big enough for a lawyer to make it worth it. It will then cost all of the broken tonneaus, litigation, new tonneaus, etc.
They probably have a contract they can't get out of.

My cover hasn't had issues since a couple pops when I first got it. If/when mine breaks, I plan on taking it apart to fix it myself. I have an idea about why it stops working for some people, but won't know until I can see one up close.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
So I've been submitting a list of service items to Rivian over these 2.5 weeks I've had my truck. Mostly cosmetic stuff, but there are some weird behaviors that may be the whole axle issue people are experiencing. Either way, my truck was delivered with a broken tonneau, it was closed and won't budge.

While on the phone with the tech to schedule my service appointment, he said they could force it open and leave it that way until there's a fix, which I said sure. I also asked if he knew when the fix would be available and he didn't know.

Well, I got my service confirmation document, which shows all of the items to be addressed, and one of the line items is "repair and replace powered tonneau". I sure hope that's real! there is ALSO the line item to open the existing cover for me. Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic that in ~3 weeks, after my appt is done, I'll have a working tonneau cover for once.
Sponsored