Sponsored

Tonneau cover issues

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. Was closing the tonneau cover and about 3/4 of the way, it made a strange sound. Pushed the button to stop it, then pushed again to restart to see if the noise returned. It attempted to retract (expected behavior) except only the left side was retracting. This created a imbalance situation with the cover plates. Hit button again to attempt to extend the cover and even out the cover. That did nothing and upon hitting the button one last time, left side retracted more. Called service and they are investigating but to me is looks like the right side motor or retraction system has failed completely. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues IMG_9569

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues IMG_9568
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Supposedly there is only one motor, on the driver’s side.

go go gadget warranty!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The tonneau cover doesn’t seem like it’s going to stand up to the test of time. I feel this part of the truck has been under engineered.

I didn’t choose a bed cover for my configuration in hopes a more durable aftermarket cover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paul_rivianlife
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If there is only one motor, then that is definitely still working, just the right/left side drive/gearing mechanism is not happy. Will post once service has a direction/fix.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately, IMO we are going to see many more posts like this over time - Rivian's Achilles Heel.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Unfortunately, IMO we are going to see many more posts like this over time - Rivian's Achilles Heel.
Gonna get my money out of the warranty with it, although they will presumably revise the construction of the tonneau as time goes on.

I still think it's worth the push-button convenience.
I've had enough european vehicles to live by the "it's the best thing ever...when it works" creed. :D

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Judging by the dirt in your bed, you may have gotten debris into the gearing mechanism that it is choking on.

Unfortunately, it looks like debris getting into the mechanism is going to be an issue with this design and they really need to redesign this ASAP or else they will be spending a lot of service time and money replacing tonneau covers.

We may need a cover for the cover to prevent debris from getting in there and ruining everybody's day.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
The ONLY reason that I keep the power tonneau cover in my configuration is I worry that the manual cover will delay my delivery. Has anyone seen a R1T delivered without one?

I haven’t…

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The ONLY reason that I keep the power tonneau cover in my configuration is I worry that the manual cover will delay my delivery. Has anyone seen a R1T delivered without one?

I haven’t…
I'm the same way. I actually plan on asking when I get a guide (LOL) if it would affect delivery significantly to get it without the powered tonneau. I assume the answer would be yes because they are probably only building batches with the powered cover until they start working on explore trim.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I haven’t…
I'm with you on the decision matrix for power vs. manual. We really need a 3rd party accessory solution here. I'm really only half joking about a cover for the cover. If someone made a more weather tight cover that fit over the existing power cover I'd seriously buy it for piece of mind.

Sponsored

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
I'm the same way. I actually plan on asking when I get a guide (LOL) if it would affect delivery significantly to get it without the powered tonneau. I assume the answer would be yes because they are probably only building batches with the powered cover until they start working on explore trim.
Then, obviously, no supply issues with the powered tonneau.

Curious as to which specific parts are the rate limiting step.

Watching this company sprout and struggle to survive is like a Netflix series.

But real.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Yes. They apparently created a conveyor belt to transfer debris to inaccessible internal areas. What could go wrong?

I'm OK with insufficient design as long as it is fixed by Rivian at my house at not cost to me.

The upcoming metal Tonneau is probably a redesign.

OP
OP
paul_rivianlife
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Honestly, want to put to bed the whole debris thing. This truck is two weeks old. Any stuff you see in the pics is from its first load to metal recycling with some items that had cobwebs on it. One thing that was slightly wet and dripped. Definitely not a debris thing, garage stored for its existence. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel that I have treated like a truck and it just smiles and asks for more. This is an electronics/supply/software/manufacturing thing. I live in Detroit and work in the car industry. I love my Rivian and am an early adopter plenty ready for these things. Just don't want to freak people out if they get dust in their tonneau cover.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
When mine was delivered I saw the look on the guys face when he pushed the open button like “I hope it works this time ” as it creaked and moaned when opening.

I would be perfectly happy if they give us the *free* option to convert to manual. I haven’t operated it yet as I’m scared it will break.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I've never had a power tonneau cover...are there examples by other makers that are really good? Seems like most would be a problem.
I asked our delivery person if there is a way for the owner to get in there and clean out dirt and debri and was told, no, it has to be done by the service center folks. A lot has to be removed to get in there. Bummer!! We live out in farm country where dirt, dust and debri is a contant problem, so our cover is doomed to failure. I'm tempted to just leave it open and not use it.
Sponsored