Sponsored

To powder coat wheels or not???

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I saw this last night, and it made me regret spending the $3500 on my order! Your R1T looks amazing.
I'm definitely keeping the powder-coating option open on my Bright 20s. I would only consider the $3,500 direct dark wheels from Rivian if it meant getting my R1S earlier.

Yes. The XPEL Ultimate Fusion has the ceramic coat built into the film. The handfeel on the vehicle is insanely slick and smooth. American Wrap did a fantastic job. And Tyler has one on order... so he's "in the family".
Very cool! Does the ceramic coat require regular upkeep?
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Just got my wheels powder coated here in LA area.

They look great, though something about them looks different than the OEM dark 20s. I can't put my finger on it. The yellow Rivian badge, yes, but even beyond that it looks a bit different. Still great though!

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Pro
I left my car at the shop to have PPF, tint, and wheels done all at the same time.

I still have my other vehicle so didn't NEED the car for that week. Although I much prefer driving the R1T

Hey @jeremysteenblik - one question I've asked a couple of times but no one has answered, but now maybe you can....

As I've looked into powder coating, the few places I've checked out online say the need the rims - not the car. How would one actually do that without a replacement set of wheels? How did your powder-coating vendor handle this? Did you give them the truck and pick it up later wheels all done?

Thanks!

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
They look great, though something about them looks different than the OEM dark 20s. I can't put my finger on it. The yellow Rivian badge, yes, but even beyond that it looks a bit different. Still great though!
The OEM ones are coated with a dark chrome (semi-transparent) which still shows the difference between the machined bright and gloss black parts underneath, whereas these are a fully opaque gloss black.

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I couldn't stomach the $3500 upgrade. The OEM Black Brights are actually two-tone (more of a metallic anthracite and black) whereas mine are now all gloss black.

The ceramic coat on the XPEL ultimate fusion film is built in. So no regular upkeep outside of standard good car washing practices. Comes with a 10-year warranty.

I'm definitely keeping the powder-coating option open on my Bright 20s. I would only consider the $3,500 direct dark wheels from Rivian if it meant getting my R1S earlier.

Very cool! Does the ceramic coat require regular upkeep?

Last edited:

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The ceramic coat on the XPEL ultimate fusion film is built in. So no regular upkeep outside of standard good car washing practices. Comes with a 10-year warranty.
God dammit that's good. Now I'm back to considering PPF ...

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's much easier to keep clean since I wrapped it. Dirt just falls right off. And the smooth hand-feel on the vehicle is sublime. I was skeptical at first. Now I'm so glad I did it.

God dammit that's good. Now I'm back to considering PPF ...

Last edited:

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's much easier to keep since I wrapped it. Dirt just falls right off. And the smooth hand-feel on the vehicle is sublime. I was skeptical at first. Now I'm so glad I did it.
Looks fantastic and you've got me intrigued now as well. If you don't mind sharing, what does a full job like this cost?

MD Waits

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover. Escalade.
I think this is purely subjective to your preferences. Do you like black wheels? If yes, powdercoat them :)

I'm choosing not to do it to mine (22") when I receive mine. But I do understand the appeal since the black versions available of the Rivian wheels are outrageously expensive when it is essentially just a powdercoat.

I feel black wheels is trend which is ending. There are minivans out now with factory black wheels. They used to be the trend with sports cars about a decade ago. When family vans/sedans start having them, I'd say the trend is over. :p Again, just my opinion. If you like them, that's great too.
I agree the black wheels trend is on the way out!

Sponsored

Nico

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looks fantastic and you've got me intrigued now as well. If you don't mind sharing, what does a full job like this cost?
It's much easier to keep clean since I wrapped it. Dirt just falls right off. And the smooth hand-feel on the vehicle is sublime. I was skeptical at first. Now I'm so glad I did it.
Any idea if the Xpel ultimate fusions ppf ceramic coat wears after time? Does the ceramic coat eventually go away completely?

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's a brand new product from XPEL. Just came out this year. It has a 10-year warranty. My understanding is that with the ceramic built into the film, it would not wear off as long as the film maintains.

Any idea if the Xpel ultimate fusions ppf ceramic coat wears after time? Does the ceramic coat eventually go away completely?

Nico

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It's a brand new product from XPEL. Just came out this year. It has a 10-year warranty. My understanding is that with the ceramic built into the film, it would not wear off as long as the film maintains.
Thanks for the info and for posting by the way. I’m actually in talks with Tyler to get it wrapped. I’m still debating between full front of full wrap.

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the info and for posting by the way. I’m actually in talks with Tyler to get it wrapped. I’m still debating between full front of full wrap.
I know the full wrap is more expensive. I would do it again in a heartbeat. So easy to keep clean and full peace of mind.
Sponsored